Pliny The Elder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff

Worst Website Ever....
Reaction score
Here's this weekend's brew. The original calls for Columbus which I've subbed Amarillo for, and Centennial which I've subbed Cascade. I'm also going to try dry hopping while CC'ing in a keg on a continuous schedule, so the 192gms required for dry hopping will be split in 3 (64gms total) and added by hop bag every 10 days. Pull the old one out, pop the new one in, 30 days CC'ing in total. From what I've read, wort can only absorb so much bitterness before it goes into flavour and aroma, with the Russian River brewery estimating it to be around 100IBU.

Go the hop.

06-02 Pliny The Elder

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

07-0 India Pale Ale, India Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 60
Min Clr: 8 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.47 Wort Size (L): 23.47
Total Grain (kg): 7.07
Anticipated OG: 1.074 Plato: 18.00
Anticipated SRM: 7.0
Anticipated IBU: 288.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 30.28L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.057SG 14.15 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %
Additional Utilization Used For Mash Hoppings: -30 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
83.5 5.90 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
7.4 0.52 kg. Corn Sugar Generic 1.046 0
6.3 0.44 kg. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
2.8 0.20 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 28

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
42.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 48.5 Mash H
74.00 g. Warrior Pellet 14.80 150.6 90 min.
14.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 23.1 90 min.
28.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.00 37.7 45 min.
51.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.90 28.9 30 min.
64.00 g. Cascade Pellet 6.00 0.0 0 min.
28.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.00 0.0 0 min.
92.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.90 0.0 Dry Hop
50.00 g. Simcoe Pellet 12.00 0.0 Dry Hop
50.00 g. Cascade Whole 8.10 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.10 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

I'm looking forward to tasting this one when it is ready Duff :p

Beers,
Doc

While I'm sure it will be a fine beer, it really grinds my kibbles when beers like this are labelled IPAs

Kai said:
While I'm sure it will be a fine beer, it really grinds my kibbles when beers like this are labelled IPAs
[post="101743"][/post]​

Maybe it should be called an AIPA :p

My tongue hurts after reading that recipe.

PS, I guess the idea is to showcase the bitterness and it is supposed to be out of balance to the hops, but I would be inclined to go some melanoidin to get some malt backbone in there.

well, i thought i made some hoppy beers... :blink:

hope it's a classic :)

cheers Ross...

"What is a Pliny"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pliny_the_Elder

He wrote the multi volume Naturalis Historia. A Roman propagandist, used to torture young minds in Ancient History lessons. His large collection of writings contain observations of nearly everything he came across in his extensive travels of the "Ancient" world.

I've had Pliny the Elder from Russian River Brewing when I was in San Diego last year. It is a fantastic beer. You can smell it while it is still being poured from the tap. It hits you like POW when you raise the glass to your lips (before you even taste it).
Then you taste it and it is like, OMG. You think that is way too much. That is too bitter. Then 10 seconds later you are thinking, I need to have another sip. Again POW. And then you have another sip and you are addicted :p

I really want to try Pliny the Younger. It is a beer even bigger than Pliny the Elder.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
I really want to try Pliny the Younger. It is a beer even bigger than Pliny the Elder.

Beers,
Doc
[post="101831"][/post]​

Have you a recipe Doc?

cheers Ross

Ross said:
Have you a recipe Doc?

For the Elder or the Younger ?
The Elder was in BYO last year and on The Brewing Network also.
The Younger I think may have been on The Brewing Network last year too.
Brewboard would be a good start, as I think a number of the guys up there have brewed it.

Beers,
Doc

I can't find one for the Younger, but on the Russian River website the Younger is 11% ABV, OG:1.098 and uses a third more hops than the Elder.

Actually, maybe I have found one from a homebrew club in California who were trying to replicate Pliny the Younger.

The Maltose Falcons tribute to Russian River. Same OG, just in pounds. Maybe one for you Doc :p , if not I'll sure give it a go :)

That does sound like a beer for me.
It may have to get inline behind a Dogfish Head clone though as I will want to try out my new bit of equipment I'm currently working on building :p

Beers,
Doc

and this Pliny character wrote about beer/made beer?

edit - ok, did some research and the link is kind of hops:
"Pliny the Elder was a Roman naturalist, scholar, historian, traveler, officer, and writer. Although not considered his most important work, Pliny and his contemporaries(?) created the botanical name for hops, "lupus Salictarius", meaning wolf among scrubs." Hops at that time grew wild among willows, much like a wolf in the forest. Later the current botanical name, humulus Lupulus, was adopted. Pliny died in 79 AD while observing the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. He was immortalized by his nephew, Piny the Younger, who continued his uncle's legacy by documenting much of what he observed during the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. Pliny the Elder, the beer, is brewed with 40% more malt and over twice the amount of hops as compared to our already hoppy IPA."http://www.russianriverbrewing.com/beers/pe/

Kai said:
OK, I'll bite: Why?

Looks like my kinda beer, btw :)

Brewed Pliny and a Kolsch today, Vienna Lager and a Hefeweizen tomorrow while SWMBO is staying in town at a conference.

The aroma is amazing, no doubt due to the 300gms of hops in it so far :p but from the fermentor seems bitter on the tounge with loads of flavour coming through. Hit the targets thanks to my new Barley Crusher but so far the Pliny is shaping to be an amazing beer.

Bring on the Younger for winter.... :p

keep all informed how the elder turns out duff.im yet to brew this as its on my brew list.may have to warm up with a sister star of the sun to test the taste buds on hop overload.

cheers
big d

Pliny is on tap.

HUGE floral aroma and flavour, followed by a sharp bitterness that gradually reduces to the back of the palate. Slightly grapefruity, but not overly, a light copper colour with every sip, as Doc has pointed out, wants you to take another. It starts surprisingly well balanced before the bitterness comes in before gradually fading. Or maybe I'm just frying my tastebuds :p

What a great beer, I've got a bottle for you Doc, will drop it off by Sunday. Could be a serious contender for the Xmas in July Case :)

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back