Pliny The Elder

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duff said:
Pliny is on tap.

HUGE floral aroma and flavour, followed by a sharp bitterness that gradually reduces to the back of the palate. Slightly grapefruity, but not overly, a light copper colour with every sip, as Doc has pointed out, wants you to take another. It starts surprisingly well balanced before the bitterness comes in before gradually fading. Or maybe I'm just frying my tastebuds :p

What a great beer, I've got a bottle for you Doc, will drop it off by Sunday. Could be a serious contender for the Xmas in July Case :)

Cheers.
[post="113836"][/post]​

Hey Duff,

You fancy trading one for a Ruination IPA :chug:

Cheers Ross...

Seemed appropriate to wake up this old thread.
I've plugged the Pliny recipe into Beersmith from Zymurgy (July/August 2010 edition) and am keen to give it a go.

I was expecting that many others on here would have done it, so I performed a search to find if there were many "lessons learned" etc.....

Not as many as I was expecting......but I can see the drama now $56 :eek: to purchase the required 5 X 90g packets of hops at normal price (with enough hops leftover (a mixed 98g) to brew a standard IPA...maybe :ph34r: ).

Might be able to convince someone to give me a bulk buy rate if he gets a bottle out of it :lol:

Actually, the grin factor alone will be worth it........and how expensive is commercial beer these days anyway.

This brewing day might be a good one to share with others.........

I'll post back with a plan in the near future.

BTW, Here's the Recipe:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Pliny the Elder
Brewer: Dave
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.50 L
Boil Size: 34.11 L
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 195.4 IBU........It'll only be 100ish in reality.
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)Grain 86.96 %
0.28 kg Carapils (Hoepfner) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.06 %
0.28 kg Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (88.7 EBC) Grain 4.06 %
99.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) Hops 143.8 IBU
21.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (45 min) Hops 26.2 IBU
28.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (30 min) Hops 25.5 IBU
28.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
71.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
28.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 12 days) Hops -
28.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 12Hops -
28.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (Dry Hop 12 days) Hops -
7.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 Hops -
7.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
7.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
0.34 kg Dextrose (Briess) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 4.93 %
4 Pkgs Safale American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, 66.0 C, then mash out.
Total Grain Weight: 6.56 kg
Total Hop Weight: 452g

99g at flameout and 105g dry hop....ha ha. I wonder if there'll be any beer left after the hops soak it up.

Cheers,

PB

I'm sure your beer is good, CM2, but the simcoe is pretty much essential for this to be even close.

I brewed this recipe a little while back http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&id=40983 and it looks very similar to yours, PB. Mine was far and away the best AIPA I've brewed yet but mine only came across as Pliny-esque rather than a bang on clone (despite my recipe being formulated by Vinnie from Russian River :( ). I did make a couple of process variations that the brewery would not do and I think this accounts for a large amount of my differences. If I were to do it again here's what I would do differently: I used hop pellets but did not allow for the fact the brewery would probably use flowers - I did adjust for AA%, obviously, but mine came across fairly grassy (which was fine) but the original isn't and I'm attributing this to the difference between pellets and flowers (perhaps unfairly, dunno); because I've never done a hop tea before I tried it here, would definitely go dry only for this one; and finally I would not cube it - I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I don't like cubed US styles. Hope this is some help.

Keg hopping this one was awesome. Real intense aroma, but very hazy with the hops and corn sugar (before the days of filters). Must brew again.

Thanks for the replies boys...I'll keep that stuff in mind,

Cheers,

PB

Made this one last year in July and it was absolutely fckn gorgeous out of the keg. Tongue sucking and resinous. Words are hard to describe something like a PTE clone. You really gotta just make it. On my list again later this year. One big tip, drink it fresh!!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 45.00 L
Boil Size: 66.21 L
Estimated OG: 1.086 SG
Estimated Color: 24.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 260.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 kg Joe White Ale (5.9 EBC) Grain 65.58 %
5.10 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 27.87 %
0.57 kg Bairds Pale Crystal (90.0 EBC) Grain 3.11 %
0.57 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 3.11 %
0.03 kg Bairds Black Malt (1300.0 EBC) Grain 0.16 %
0.03 kg Bairds Roast Barley (1300.0 EBC) Grain 0.16 %
118.42 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
118.42 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
193.12 gm Galena [11.00 %] (90 min) Hops 100.5 IBU
143.83 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 88.4 IBU
71.41 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 37.7 IBU
71.41 gm Columbus [14.00 %] (30 min) Hops 34.0 IBU
67.14 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
217.89 gm Columbus [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
151.58 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
2.84 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
7.11 items Yeast Nutrient (Primary 4.0 days) Misc
2 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Back Yard Brewer...

must be the season for DIPAs ...

i brewed my pliny clone on sunday. apart from the expected losses due to the amount of hops, there wasn't anything out of the ordinary to note (so far)

when researching PTE, i found a lot of interesting information at the mad fermentationist, particularly this post -- scroll to the end to see hop combinations for popular AIPAs:

Big IPA Recipe (1 lb of hops)

cheers
j

I've done this one a few times, but I can't compare to the original as I've never been lucky enough to sample it... per'aps one day...

Pliny the Elder clone

Size: 23 L
Efficiency: 75.0%

OG: 1.079
FG: 1.016
Abv: 8.31%
Bitterness: stupid

5.75 kg Bairds Pale
0.50 kg Wheat Malt
0.50 kg Carapils
0.25 kg Light Crystal
800g Dextrose (day two of ferment)

Single step infusion @ 66C

40g Chinook 13.0% AA FWH
75g Warrior 15.5% AA 90 min
13g Chinook 13.0% AA 90 min
28g Columbus 15.0% AA 30 min
28g Simcoe 13.0% AA 30min
65g Centennial 10.5% AA 0 min
28g Simcoe 13.0% AA 0 min

Whirlfloc @ 10 min

2L starter of White Labs WLP001 California Ale

95g Columbus 15.0% AA added to secondary
55g Centennial 10.0% AA added to secondary
50g Simcoe 13.0% AA added to secondary

Have done it also with 1272 with great success...

Hope this helps!

Pliny question...

Last swap we brewed a metric crapload as per THIS recipe..

The recipe calls for a 12 to 14 day dry hop with a second dry hop with 5 days to go.. though I'd really like to stick to the actual recipe, my ferment was quite aggressive and is pretty much over in 4 days (1.068 Sunday night - 1.020 last night)... I dont really want to leave it for a fortnight more just for the hell of it and in fact may avoid some of the grassiness some talk about if I dont...

Im tempted to smash it with the first dry hop tonight then go the second on Sunday and CC with kegging planned for the following weekend... at least I'll get the 5 days to go part right :lol:

What would others do?

Depends how true you want to be to the recipe. My ferment went like wild fire too... I followed the recipe and it is still a bit grassy to my taste after a month in the bottle.

Are u really worried about the grassiness, or are you just too damn impatient to wait 2 more weeks before you can start guzzling it? :lol:
Fwiw, I followed the recipe using 1272. I got no grassiness. Just an enormous shiteload of hoppy aroma, flavour & bitterness.
Oh yes. There's bitterness.
It's v tasty ... if you can overcome the bitterness - It takes a bit of a run up for me, I must admit.
I would say, though, that the aroma is a *little* bit less than what I was expecting - so maybe a slightly shorter dry hopping schedule would be better.

Did I mention bitterness??

schooey said:
I've done this one a few times, but I can't compare to the original as I've never been lucky enough to sample it... per'aps one day...

Pliny the Elder clone
Maybe we need to ensure that Vinnie brings sufficient supplies of Fresh Pliny with him when he visits this year (shameless ANHC plug).

Les

If fermentation is actually finished, consider racking it to a second vessel, and do the dry hopping cold. Less yeast to chew on the hops and less of the vegetal note will come through at the colder temperature. If you're careful with sanitising and do it in a closed circuit, there's no huge risk.

Martin

I took this version to my local brew club last night. It was unanimously rated as fantastic by all who tried, my only niggle with brewing is the hop extract. Personal choice I'd probably switch the additions for an equivalent amount of Columbus or Apollo. I've based a personal spinoff version of this, more base malt and dextrose, with citra over simcoe and mosaic over centennial and dropped the Amarillo. Anyway here's the recipe I used, with the exception of Amarillo - I used Amarillo Gold as my LHBS had that on hand at the time and no Amarillo.

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/08/pliny-elder-clone-30.html

Scaled to my 40L BIAB system, with 62% efficiency due to non adjusted boiloff rates. Still a phenomenal beer, I did 5L as a test and will gladly be going as big as I can fit in my system now.

Latest posts

Back