Pleas help the dumb arse who doesn't have a clue

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
1L per kg of grain for absorption All the rest sounds about right
Okay - so 6kg of grain = 6lt absorption

That's a lot! 6lt evaporated + 6lt to grain + 2lt to trub = 14lt loss.

Sounds like I need a strike volume of 36 lt to get 22lt end volume.

Brew software will really help with this, just take notes of various volumes each brew. I'm 4 all grain brews in now and I reckon I've finally got my system 'dialled in' having worked out various losses. Also, by plugging it into the software, it'll automatically calculate strike volume etc if you change batch size for whatever reason.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I also brew in a keggle and have found my trub loss to be more like 3-3.5L. All depends on where the tap is!!

New_guy said:
Test boil completed:

30 lts @ 13 deg added to keggle

Reached 68 deg at 35 mins (to test time to reach strike)

Reached boil @ 55mins

Rolling Boil (104 deg) for 60 mins

Volume at end of boil : 24lt (total volume of keggle)

Presuming 2 lts for trub and ?1lt for grain

End volume accounting for trub and grain : 21lt

Does this sound right?
Unless you are 1250m below sea level you might want to get a new thermometer as it should read 100c for boiling water, or adjust your mash temps.

New_guy said:
Okay - so 6kg of grain = 6lt absorption

That's a lot! 6lt evaporated + 6lt to grain + 2lt to trub = 14lt loss.

Sounds like I need a strike volume of 36 lt to get 22lt end volume.
Sounds about right.

I don't lose that much to evaporation. Usually a couple of litres over an hour, but I lose a little more to trub (50l CB pot that I brew in).

AJ80 said:
Brew software will really help with this, just take notes of various volumes each brew. I'm 4 all grain brews in now and I reckon I've finally got my system 'dialled in' having worked out various losses. Also, by plugging it into the software, it'll automatically calculate strike volume etc if you change batch size for whatever reason.
Hope this helps.
Edit: I also brew in a keggle and have found my trub loss to be more like 3-3.5L. All depends on where the tap is!!
Plugging data into beersmith2 - it's making sense now.
I agree about tap placement, I mounted mine as als low as possible on but this was limited by the keg profile and I have to install an elbow or something as a pickup

Depending on the size of your pot and how vigorous your boil is, you're boil off will very. You can turn down the heat so that its not jumping out of the pot. Also, dont be too quick to discard the trub. From my experience it can be happily transferred into the fermenter where it settles to the bottom. Saves you from separating it out, reboiling, etc.

With my equipment, i start off with 35L and I end up with 25L in the fermenter. So you're not far off.

Back