My efficiency sucks, can you help?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My numbers were brewhouse efficiency (into the fermenter). Can't speak for anyone else.

My numbers are brewhouse efficiency as calculated by Beersmith, to be honest I didn't realise the distinction between brewhouse efficiency and mash efficiency until about 20 posts into this thread ;)
As noted by a few others here I'm not trying to increase my efficiency simply because of the economics of brewing (although that is a small part of it), it's more because if I'm doing something wrong I would rather be doing it right. It's been a great learning process for me, cant wait to apply what I've learned to my next brew, and what I learn from that to the brew that comes after, and so on :D

Jurt said:
As a New-ish AG brewer, I've come in with 57.5% efficiency, I'm not saying that its everything, but if I CAN make some small changes to my gear/process to make my brewing that slight bit more economical, I think it's a good idea to try, especially if it helps be more consistant. Without knowledge we are at the mercy of the day, if we brew with the same methods, we will be getting the same results.

I think knowing where you sit with efficiency is important, especially for accurate recipe formulation.
I totally agree. Efficiency isn't everything, but it is important to try and get to minimum of about 65%. Anything above that is a bonus, but IMHO there isn't a great need to push for anything much greater than 70-75%. Consistency is far more important, and the more you brew the more consistent you will become. And you're right, consistency helps your brews become more predictable.

Depending on what your setup is it shouldn't be too hard to jump from 57% to 65-70%. What sort of set-up do you have, and what is your process?

I have moved from BIAB to 2 Kegs and a 36L pot, mash, sparged with 2 lots of water, reciculating to settle the grain bed, boiled.

A lot of mine was kettle loss (into fv efficiency) as I hadn't installed a pickup tube. And I believe I crushed too coarse on the mash side of it all.

JDW81 said:
I totally agree. Efficiency isn't everything, but it is important to try and get to minimum of about 65%. Anything above that is a bonus, but IMHO there isn't a great need to push for anything much greater than 70-75%. Consistency is far more important, and the more you brew the more consistent you will become. And you're right, consistency helps your brews become more predictable.

Depending on what your setup is it shouldn't be too hard to jump from 57% to 65-70%. What sort of set-up do you have, and what is your process?
What efficiency though? into the bottles? into the fermenter? pre-boil, post-boil, mash efficiency?

I may get 75% mash efficiency, and then 65% into the fermenter, and 55% into bottles (pulling these numbers out of the air).

Efficiency percentage needs a context.

My numbers are specified above.. 57.5% mash eff and 50.7% fv eff.

I spent a few minutes with my mill this afternoon and got what looks like a good crush, the hulls were intact, but the inner section nice and broken. Will try it out and report back!

mash Ph and calcium levels were mentioned to me to increase efficiency. But, as I'm learning, better to get temp and other things sorted before attempting water chem. I'm 6 in and looking at water chem, mainly mash ph to better eff, but I have managed to hit 65 a few times now..

All good beer mind you. Water volumes were my biggest first hurdle as I am using goombas 2 pot with lauter method. And temps. Good 65 degree mash tenps was my biggest improvement to date.

Latest posts

Back