Plate Chiller - Chillout Mark Iii Vs Beerbelly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,

So it seems that the barbs are really the only drawback with the MM and for me that would really annoy I think. I have SS quick disconnects on all the vessels with the hoses fixed to the pump. The whole system works by unhooking and reconnecting the hoses in different configs so being able to pop them on and off the chiller is where I want to be at with it. Otherwise I have fixed hoses on the chiller and I need to make the pump out into a quick disconnect which seems a bit more hassle overall.

Are the barbs welded into the MM or can they be replaced? I'm guessing they're welded.

Chappo I must say you are the first person I know of who has changed TO a plate chiller to stop infections occurring... :lol:

Had it way before the wild yeast infestation but I'm glad I've got it now ;)

Cheers

Chappo

This could be the wrong thing to do so am after feedback. To sanitise my chiller I flush with hot water straight after use and store with beer hoses double onto coolant fittings (found a heap of insects in there once when I wanted to use, big interuption). On brew day just after wort starts to boil and before hop additions I run the boiling wort through it for about 10 mins it gets so hot that you cant pick it up. So in my opinion I am killing any wild yeast or bacteria there, and obviosly hot wort is returned to kettle for the first hop addition. I ve gotten away with this a few times and cant see too much wrong with it but I could be wrong. :unsure:
Cheers Greg

shandy: Theyre welded in. I have a hose fixed to each barb of my chillout, and just have a male disconnect on the end of the 'wort in' hose, so it can still plug into the socket at the end of the pump out hose. No biggy, just one more connect needed. I still have an old chillout mk I kicking around with threaded bits, looks much like the beerbelly model. Different, but similar. I upgraded because the chillout III has more surface area and I liked the barbs better.

greg: sounds OK. I do something similar. I have an electric HLT, and post sparge there's normally a few litres left in there, I turn off the temp controller and just let the HLT boil and have the pump recircing boiling water through the wort side of the chiller and back to the hlt.

Post chill I drain the near boiling hlt water backwards through the pump and chiller, then flush out with cold water and add a squirt of no rinse sanatiser into one of the hoses before hooking them together, storing the chiller and pump full of santiser.

I find that when i flush warm oxyper through the plate chiller after use, the oxyper solution comes out green sometimes from the hop resins(i think) which tend to crash out when the temp of the wort drops. I personally don't think they come out as well just flushing it with hot water. Whether this can cause problems, i don't know.

I flush with warm oxyper 50 deg for about 10 mins after brew day and then use this solution to clean my pots anyway.

Q

shandy: Theyre welded in. I have a hose fixed to each barb of my chillout, and just have a male disconnect on the end of the 'wort in' hose, so it can still plug into the socket at the end of the pump out hose. No biggy, just one more connect needed. I still have an old chillout mk I kicking around with threaded bits, looks much like the beerbelly model. Different, but similar. I upgraded because the chillout III has more surface area and I liked the barbs better.

greg: sounds OK. I do something similar. I have an electric HLT, and post sparge there's normally a few litres left in there, I turn off the temp controller and just let the HLT boil and have the pump recircing boiling water through the wort side of the chiller and back to the hlt.

Post chill I drain the near boiling hlt water backwards through the pump and chiller, then flush out with cold water and add a squirt of no rinse sanatiser into one of the hoses before hooking them together, storing the chiller and pump full of santiser.

Yeah, I like the barbs too but the extra investment in quick disconnects and stuff kinda puts me off when I have most of what I need already if the chiller has 1/2" fittings. As far as sanitation of the fittings goes, I just recirc hot wort through anything that needs to be inline for 10 minutes before I begin cooling so no probs there and I'm a clean freak so it'll be well cleaned of any bits with a good dose of hot PBW after every brew day or the next day depending on how much beer is drunk.

Just emailed BeerBelly for further information regarding their Plate chiller.
My mail was opened but no response.
I hope this is not going to turn out like the last time I emailed BeerBelly which was not responded to. :(
ChillOut 111 is looking better all the time except for those barbed fittings. :super:

TP

I hope this is not going to turn out like the last time I emailed BeerBelly which was not responded to. :(
TP

It was likely opened and not responded to (yet) as domonsura's wife handles the emails and is probably waiting for when the man was free to ask him a technical question. Please be considerate and don't turn this into a retailer v retailer fight. This is good, clean, legit debate about two similar but different products from two retailers.

It was likely opened and not responded to (yet) as domonsura's wife handles the emails and is probably waiting for when the man was free to ask him a technical question. Please be considerate and don't turn this into a retailer v retailer fight. This is good, clean, legit debate about two similar but different products from two retailers.

God has spoken :icon_cheers:

Rook

Im sure BB will get back to you. I will be buying his chiller next week. More cash! But its to a good cause.

Can you see if your email has been read? Ill have to work it out for Lotus Notes we use here at work

Please be considerate and don't turn this into a retailer v retailer fight.

Adamt,

All I am after is information versus information so that I can choose the best plate chiller for my needs.
No other retailer was mentioned & I have no affiliation with either. Merely assuming that I have had the same treatment for this email as my other?
I take it that you are not affiliated?

TP

ChillOut 111 is looking better all the time except for those barbed fittings. :super:

TP

Geez Pete, give us a chance mate! Email sent at 1.20PM, complaint bagging us posted on public board @ 3.20PM? :eek:
No record of ever having received an email from you before today either, anywhere - not from 'Pete', 'Tidal', 'Tidalpete', 'sharkbait' or anything else that could be you as far as I'm aware. Nothing at all in the 4000 odd emails that have been received in the last 12 months. And we don't routinely lose emails.

Just for the record - when Amanda got in this morning for the first day back from our weekend (Sunday & Monday), there were nearly 150 emails waiting for her to get through - in between serving customers, answering the phone, crushing grain, accepting deliveries, dealing with suppliers..........................your comments are reasonable how? We're just two people doing the best we can mate.....not a great big company with someone sitting there watching the inbox 24/7.

hes already on talkback radio bagging you out too

Geez Pete, give us a chance mate! Email sent at 1.20PM, complaint bagging us posted on public board @ 3.20PM? :eek:
No record of ever having received an email from you before today either, anywhere - not from 'Pete', 'Tidal', 'Tidalpete', 'sharkbait' or anything else that could be you as far as I'm aware. Nothing at all in the 4000 odd emails that have been received in the last 12 months. And we don't routinely lose emails.

Just for the record - when Amanda got in this morning for the first day back from our weekend (Sunday & Monday), there were nearly 150 emails waiting for her to get through - in between serving customers, answering the phone, crushing grain, accepting deliveries, dealing with suppliers..........................your comments are reasonable how? We're just two people doing the best we can mate.....not a great big company with someone sitting there watching the inbox 24/7.

My apologies dom & my sympathies with your business hassles but I stand by what I said about my other email last time I tried to get in touch so I assumed this time was the same. You probably got my web mail first time around.
Still no reply to my email even though you've found the time to respond to this? I'm happy to wait now that you know my email is there & opened. ;)

All the Best.

hes already on talkback radio bagging you out too

You forgot the apostrophe
You want my uncle to mention you on his Dark World radio session as well sinkas? :p

TP

Does anyone have the dimensions of the Beer Belly?

My apologies dom & my sympathies with your business hassles but I stand by what I said about my other email last time I tried to get in touch so I assumed this time was the same. You probably got my web mail first time around.
Still no reply to my email even though you've found the time to respond to this? I'm happy to wait now that you know my email is there & opened. ;)

All the Best.

TP

mouse_email.jpg

I got some more info on the BB Chiller, the steel is 316 stainless and they are 19cm long x 7cm wide x 9cm to the top of the outlet and weigh about 1.5kg. Is 316 better than 304?

Just out of interest who uses a CCFC? Like this one

chillzilla_cropped.jpg

I bought it from the US long before the retailers on this site even existed, I believe they are the most efficient home brew chiller on the market.

Batz

Back