Plastic (pet) Botles Vs Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgcooke

Reaction score
I have ben using PET botles for each of my brews to date. I want to know how long can I keep beer in PET and if there is a significant taste difference betwen them and glass?

I have ben using PET botles for each of my brews to date. I want to know how long can I keep beer in PET and if there is a significant taste difference betwen them and glass?

What sort of PET? I bottle into ex-soft drink bottles as well as Coopers PET, which are beer-bottle-coloured and have a Nylon lining. I also bottle into glass.

I work on:

Clear PET: 3 months.
Coopers PET: Dunno, but I work on 6 months.
Glass: It depends on stuff other than the bottle...

HTH.

Thanks I use Coopers so 6 months is all I will get.

Thanks
Damien

What sort of PET? I bottle into ex-soft drink bottles as well as Coopers PET, which are beer-bottle-coloured and have a Nylon lining. I also bottle into glass.

I work on:

Clear PET: 3 months.
Coopers PET: Dunno, but I work on 6 months.
Glass: It depends on stuff other than the bottle...

HTH.

I use PET and and glass and I have never got to 6 months so FIIK

My brother-in-law uses the brown Coopers PET and i had a beer with him the other week that was bout 13 mths old and the fizz was as good when he opened it as a 3 mth old bottle.
I've read elsewhere that 12 mths is bout the max but up to 18 mths has been tried with ok results, reckon 12>14 would be the utmost max though.

I've had beer in the Cooper's 750ml PET bottles that has kept for over 18 months with no appreciable differences to the ones bottles in glass from the same batch.

As long as the seal is good I do not see why there should be any difference between the glass and PET bottles in terms of length of time that the beer can be stored for.

I usually do at least 3-4 in the PET bottles for each batch that I bottle.

pet bottels are okay for short periods up to six months after that they do however start loosing carbonation??? why well that would be in other posts here.

just to date i had a few in a christmas case i kept for over twelves months and thay were near on flat the same ones that were drank 8 months before were fine.
so as a rule id empty em before 6 months were up to aviod dissapiontment.

glass is always better IMO

DELBOY

I used the coopers bottles for my first couple of brews, around may last year. I cracked some of them recently and 3 out of 4 were flat. they seemed fine between 3-6 months but then I left them til now (10 months) So I wouldnt put any faith in them.

the good thing about them is you can tell when they are carbonated because they expand.

Applecracle

thanks for the article chris that shed the light on it "STS"pardon the pun.

del

I bought my first bottle capper this week and bottled a batch entirely into glass (except for 6 Coopers PET) - all 330/474 ml bottles (a few were swing-tops). I was amazed at how much space they all take up in comparison to what I usually bottle.

For the normal house quaffing beers I will likely stick to 1250ml clear PET - they're dirt cheap and take up very little space.

Latest posts

Back