Plastic Fermenters For Mead?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golani51

Reaction score
Hi:
Is it possible to use plastic fermenters for mead or do they have to be glass due to the long times for fermentation?

R

If primary ferment will be less than 12 months I would have thought a plastic fermenter will be fine. May be best to aim for a vessel with minimal headspace though - depending on the batch size of your mead.

Over 12 months probably better in glass.

2c.

For secondary ferment/conditioning, glass is usually preferred.
However, you also have to weigh what is possible and practical in terms of cost, and setup.
I'm lucky I got a stack of glass carboys from Freecycle, so it's easy for me to say that using glass is best. ;)

I use plastic for primary but age in glass. I try not to use glass for active fermentations as I had a blocked airlock once which caused an exploding carboy. Not pretty. They don't cope with pressure.

Primary is usually under 3 months (certainly under a year) so plastic is fine. Secondary bulk aging can be several years so glass is better.

Cheers
Dave

I might have to make do with 4.5L batches in the 5L demis.
I have quite a few 15L plastic fermeters but can limit the headspace pretty easily. I will have to hunt for glass it would appear!

I use plastic for primary but age in glass. I try not to use glass for active fermentations as I had a blocked airlock once which caused an exploding carboy. Not pretty. They don't cope with pressure.

Primary is usually under 3 months (certainly under a year) so plastic is fine. Secondary bulk aging can be several years so glass is better.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back