plain old stainless steel pot as fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea, could drill the tap slightly higher similar to the plastic fermenters, perhaps even make it rotatable with a compression fitting and pickup tube so you can remove the beer from above the yeast cake more easily.

Pretty cheap aswell, the 82ltr pots are only $70.... Must resist!!!

Tahoose said:
Thats my BIAB setup right there!

Could work well as a fermenter with some mods, also as the price is slow low would you trust the handles? (if you need to move it full that is)

Tahoose said:
Does that price seem too good to be true? It says 2mm thickness. I guess that's the base only. Walls are probably super thin. $82 delivered for an 82L stainless pot.

If it is thin walled there is no reason why a tap couldn't be fitted onto the base and a pick up tube bent at a right angle to empty it, it could have good potential, especially if no chilling, put wort straight into the fermenter stick the lid on and pitch yeast the next day.

That's the exact pot i use for my fermenter timmi. Works a treat. Have lifted it full a few times with those handles. Bloody heavy though. I use a syphon wand for bottling.

Awesome curly, I'm sold.

I have moved away from taps in my fermenters as a result of some infections and also now just syphon. Cleaning should be a sinch!

How do you seal the lid?

I used glad wrap a few times. Now I just use the lid that came with it. I clean the ferm fridge pretty well before each brew.

I've ordered 3, that way I can do 100L batches. The seller offered to upgrade one to an 82L for free, i'm Looking forward to easy cleaning :D Now thinking of if I should add a tap and thermowell in at least one of them.

You can use the following as fermenters, so there is no reason why you cant use a big old pot

Pots
Vats
Tubs
Barrels
Tanks
Garbage bins
Wheelie bins ( you can even buy them with a tap down the bottom )
Fish tanks
Anything that will hold water......

Ive bought a few of these 82l pots for my system.

Highly highly recommend you go in person and pickup as the first couple of pots I opened to inspect had issues.

Otherwise very happy with them. Definite2lt only 2mm base, the sides are very thin.

Latest posts

Back