Pitching On Slurry In Secondary - After 3 Months?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jens-Kristian

Reaction score
Hey all,

A few months back I brewed a porter-thing with far too much chocolate malt in it (or so I thought and was told at the time) which I initially left in the primary for about a month before racking it. At the time of racking it was far too toasty in taste, so, since it's been summer here in Denmark and too hot for me to brew I simply left it sitting in the secondary - perhaps also feeling a little disillusioned that I'd finally hit my first dud.

Tasting it now, I have to say that while it's still perhaps a little on the toasty side, it's definitely being bottled and I'm feeling confident it'll eventually be a pretty decent drop.

Anyway, I used WLP023 Burton Ale yeast for this one and I was wondering if, after three months in the secondary, it would still be advisable to pitch on top of the sediment with a brew I'll be doing one of the next couple of days? There's no hint of any off-flavours or nasties (that I can taste, at least) so I'm pretty much assuming there shouldn't be any big problems.

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

I'd say take some of that slurry and make up a 1-2L starter with it. It won't be active and raring to go after all that time in the secondary and you'll want to get it active first. It should be fine though with a little tender loving care. :p

:D

It's as I've always found here - you'll invariably get wildly conflicting thoughts :p

Thanks for both, but since I really want to use this particular yeast for my ESB and can't get my hands on another pack within the next few weeks I'll give some reactivated slurry a go. I'll even speak sweet words to it. :)

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Hey all,

A few months back I brewed a porter-thing with far too much chocolate malt in it (or so I thought and was told at the time) which I initially left in the primary for about a month before racking it. At the time of racking it was far too toasty in taste, so, since it's been summer here in Denmark and too hot for me to brew I simply left it sitting in the secondary - perhaps also feeling a little disillusioned that I'd finally hit my first dud.

Tasting it now, I have to say that while it's still perhaps a little on the toasty side, it's definitely being bottled and I'm feeling confident it'll eventually be a pretty decent drop.

Anyway, I used WLP023 Burton Ale yeast for this one and I was wondering if, after three months in the secondary, it would still be advisable to pitch on top of the sediment with a brew I'll be doing one of the next couple of days? There's no hint of any off-flavours or nasties (that I can taste, at least) so I'm pretty much assuming there shouldn't be any big problems.

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Jens-Kristian, many of us step up Wyeast to 2L to make 6 or so splits, these are kept in the fridge under the wort for long periods, sometimes more than 12 months. These splits are then used to make a starter for brewing. WHAT'S THE DIFF? Remember we now have 3000 members on AHB. 3000 members = 3000 opinions :D

I'd say take some of that slurry and make up a 1-2L starter with it. It won't be active and raring to go after all that time in the secondary and you'll want to get it active first. It should be fine though with a little tender loving care. :p
I would definitely make up a starter and the best you can do is taste it before pitching to at least be sure that passes the taste test - though that is by no means definitive.

Screwtop said:
Jens-Kristian, many of us step up Wyeast to 2L to make 6 or so splits, these are kept in the fridge under the wort for long periods, sometimes more than 12 months. These splits are then used to make a starter for brewing. WHAT'S THE DIFF? Remember we now have 3000 members on AHB. 3000 members = 3000 opinions
Check my signature. By my calcs 3000 members = 4500 opinions. :p

Back