Pitch New Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah good point manticle, i wonder if adding some dextrose would help get it going again
aswell as bringing the alc content up with it? has anyone done this before?

Adding dex will most likely get the yeast going (that's how priming works) - it won't however make them any more likely to eat maltose or any other sugars they are (possibly) struggling to ferment.

Being new, not really certain. Had the grain in the bag with 2L of water and brought up to the boil for 20 minutes. Then squeezed all the goodness and put the hops in...

Ch

You mean on the way to the boil you held the temp at ~65ish for 20minutes or so, before removing the grain and then boiling the remaining liquid for 20minutes or so... least that's what I hope you meant.
As Manticle has correctly surmised, with that grain bill, 1022 is excellent ! Whoever gave you that recipe.... ignore their advice in future.

You mean on the way to the boil you held the temp at ~65ish for 20minutes or so, before removing the grain and then boiling the remaining liquid for 20minutes or so... least that's what I hope you meant.
As Manticle has correctly surmised, with that grain bill, 1022 is excellent ! Whoever gave you that recipe.... ignore their advice in future.

Probably my interpretation of the instructions that messed it up then. Will understand better next time.

So what I'll do this weekend is rehydrate a Danstar Nottingham, unless anyone knows a better choice. I'll add this to the fermenter, and then hope that we have some more action, bringing the SG down a bit. Any more suggestions get to me so I can do it all at once.

Thanks for the advice to all. And I'll be careful of the blue packet in future...

Make an active starter using some malt extract boiled in about a litre of water and cooled. When the nottingham starts to ferment that, pitch the lot. Keep everything sanitary.

Normally making a starter with dry yeast is not necessary or even desirable but in the case of stuck ferments it's your best bet. Active yeast.

Back