Pin Holes In Corny Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry about it, I have cleaned my kegs with bleach for several years before I heard all this bleach and stainless stuff. I'm talking 12-14 years ago and I still have those kegs in use.
I still put some bleach in a keg if I have a bad stain in the bottom, I think the whole thing maybe a crock.
So what about this, I'll do a experiment hey? I have some stainless sheet about the same thickness as kegs, I'll cut a strip and put it in straight bleach for a few months and we'll see what happens.

batz

Oh I love experiments. Great thinking. How about a few vials? Neat bleach and no rinse bleach/vinegar? Will be interesting under a decent magnifier.

Don't worry about it, I have cleaned my kegs with bleach for several years before I heard all this bleach and stainless stuff. I'm talking 12-14 years ago and I still have those kegs in use.
I still put some bleach in a keg if I have a bad stain in the bottom, I think the whole thing maybe a crock.
So what about this, I'll do a experiment hey? I have some stainless sheet about the same thickness as kegs, I'll cut a strip and put it in straight bleach for a few months and we'll see what happens.

batz

So did you end up doing the experiment?

Well......no

But I'll get it underway today.

Batz

get a bit of copper rod from a plumber who repairs tanks,stainless contains copper and it will stick ok,in your situation pop round and See The bossman at Cooroy Sheet metal he will have a bit.his name is Brian Dorrington tell him I sent you and give him my regards
from Steve Rush

I've repaired a couple and I always ues silver solder, easy as.

I've repaired a couple and I always ues silver solder, easy as.

Yeah I have tried it with flux and silver solder and the molten metal just rolls right off the keg.

Might need to sand the surface a bit more???

Yeah I have tried it with flux and silver solder and the molten metal just rolls right off the keg.

Perhaps your not getting it hot enough.

The right grade of silver solder is needed and it will flow nicely just not sure which one for ss the higher the silver the better. Glowing red sounds way too hot and it would bead off. With the better grade, copper welding is a piece of piss as long as its clean you dont even need flux.
ps its exxy tho. :icon_cheers:

Yes the right grade of silver solder is the key, I will check what I have been using but I think it is Harris Safety Silv 56 which 56% silver cadmium free and if possible get the pre fluxed stuff it si dead easy to use, the flux is bright orange

FYI here is an earlier post where I was using some STRATA 22F that was similar but more exxy

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=159756

Back