Pilsiner questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsupraboy

Reaction score
Hey peeps,

For a while I have been making my version of a pilsiner. It's a great beer tho I wanna learn about using different ingredients.

The yeast I use is 001 and 004 depending on what I've been recycling.reusing. from my understating is that a pilsiner is meant to be lagered. Is that correct.

I use
70% jw pilsiner
21% jw Munich
9% crystal jw

Por 22.1 ibu 45min
Amarillo 4.5 IBU 5 min

In do beers in lots of the yeast I'm reusing. I wanna add to my recipe. I'm thinking about using a lagar yeast. What do u recommend and how much will it change the taste. I then wanna do another hop somewhere.

The larger the the starter the better with a lager yeast.

I have only tried a few . The wyeast 2124 boh pils yeast and their cervasa yeast are the ones that I continue to use. the cervasa is my fav at the moment.

Wyeast 2000 is awesome, highly recommend. I have cold-pitched the last few and they have been great. Make sure that when you initially make the starter - and when you add the starter to the wort - your smack pack/starter/wort are within 10°C. This, and time, are some of the annoying parts of lagers.

Make sure you have the following sorted as well:
-strong boil to get rid of all DMS
-ascorbic acid/sodium met to get rid of chlorine (if you don't, you will have probs with chlorophenols)
-impeccable cleanliness/sanitation
-do a short diacetyl rest (14-17°C for 2-3 days) when your gravity gets to 1.015-1.020

I normally pitch at 8-9, sit it at 10 for a few days, then let it warm itself (don't use a heat belt) to 12, then by the time is chewed through most of the sugars it's not too big a step to go to 14-16 for the d-rest.

The reason all of the above is important is that the beer should end up very clean, and any off flavours will stick out like a sore thumb. You might find that stouts and hoppy beers that you have made in the past will hide these flavours. Or you might be making perfect beer already...

The cerveza yeast is the cleanest yeast I have tried. One lager I did tasted just like I imagine water would taste like. Makes a good saaz pils too.

I'd drop the munich and crystal for a pils, 95% pils, 5% carapils.

Noble hops

Depends what you want though.

As for yeast, any lager yeast will work well at the right temp. Maybe go with wlp800 or 802 and see how you go.

Remember to make a starter and calculate the pitch rate with Mr malty or something to get you in the ball park. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back