Pilsener - Cascade Instead Of Hallertauer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeaselEstateBrewery

Reaction score
Hi brewing brethren - I am thinking of cranking a pilsener, however I don't have any hallertauer for the finishing hops. I have plenty of Saaz and Cascade though, and was thinking of using the Saaz as per normal, but substitung the Cascade for the last couple of minutes of the boil - has anyone tried this? I'm all for experimenting if the brew is likely to turn out OK.

One of the best beers I've ever had mixed Cascade with Saaz. A friend brewed a pilsner like this. Go for it. :icon_drool2: I'm going to do it myself soon.

Use 100% Saaz in a Pilsener. Absolutely delicious.

Keep the Cascade in the freezer for an American style brew.

Use 100% Saaz in a Pilsener. Absolutely delicious.

Keep the Cascade in the freezer for an American style brew.

Good call. I will be doing two pilseners brews back to back - I have decided to try one of each (ie one with cascade finishing hops and one with all Saaz) to compare.

That's an excellent idea. So many recipes, so little time.

If you like doing side by side experiments, you could do the Saaz flavour and aroma additions, run half the wort out into a fermenter, then add some Cascade into the remaining half, boil another ten minutes and then run off into another fermenter.

ROFL
well i had the same problem today
5kg pilsner
200g wheat
200g cara munich 1

had 17g of saaz and
HEAPS of cascade

went 30g of casdcade at 30mins
and
17g of saaz at 10

first time trying the saaz but it smells great and it smells like it will go nicely with the cascade
anyway brew ended up nice and light and i missed my boil volume by a couple of liters so its going to be a very refreshing 3.7-4%(have to guess cause i smashed my hydrometer while bottling the other brew :( )

Tom

Actually got another batch of this ready to go next weekend at this point

was curious on doing a single hop brew and was looking for ideas on other hops to go

Stocks are

Amarillo
Cascade
Magnum
POR
Fuggles
and a little bit of (OLD) EKG

any ideas would be great

Tom

Chuck the old EKG out. Why wreck a brew for a dollar or two of suspect hops? If they have been in an O2 impermable bag and in the freezer, they will be ok.

Have done single hop Amarillo and single hop Fuggles, both were nice brews. Would steer away from POR unless you keep the IBU's down to 25 and they are fresh.

Recipe looks nice. You may want to tweak the recipe a bit, increase the wheat to a kilo and drop the base malt back a bit

That's a great idea for experimenting pint of. After my last post I fired up Rambo and completed the entire brew, with Cascade finishing, only read your post after this process was finished. Having said that my 2nd fermenter has an older version of Jayse's LCPA (with all cascade hops) so wouldn't have been an option without scoring another fermenter. But I will do this in future for testing purposes - I suppose you can share the yeast by putting half in each?

Cascade in a Pilsener?
OK.....?

Cascade would be inappropriate in a Classic American Pilsner, let alone a German or Bohemian. Nuff said.

Cascade would be inappropriate in a Classic American Pilsner, let alone a German or Bohemian. Nuff said.
Based on an old recipe from Ausbeer, Gazza "Guzzler" made a lager with Cascade hops and it was well-received in a competition. I have made this too and it was OK to drink.
You can buy his recipes here, or pm me for this Am pils recipe. Should be no prob with posting it here, as it was published in a magazine for all to read?
Oh, it was an extract recipe, but you could make it a.g. if you want.

Les out

Based on an old recipe from Ausbeer, Gazza "Guzzler" made a lager with Cascade hops and it was well-received in a competition. I have made this too and it was OK to drink.
You can buy his recipes here, or pm me for this Am pils recipe. Should be no prob with posting it here, as it was published in a magazine for all to read?
Oh, it was an extract recipe, but you could make it a.g. if you want.

Les out

Les, you really are (as I suspected all along) are seriously sick sicko, we must watch Natural Born Killers over a few slabs one day !!
O and V,
K

Will it be a pilsner? No. Will it be a good beer? Thats another story. (personally, cascade isn't my particular cup o tea). If it makes good beer, if it tastes good, and if it gives you a joyfull drinking experience, does it matter if it's "traditional", "right", or "accepted"??....No. To paraphrase some wine snob or other (can't remember his name) "It's a bloody drink.... get over it".

So it will be a "lager with cascade" as opposed to a "pilsner". Big whoop......if it tastes good, do it. Now, in answer to the OP, with a slight variation......."will cascade work with a grain bill and yeast choice that normally would be used for a pilsner?" (as oppposed to "will cascade work in a pilsner?")....the answer is yes, it probably will work, in fact it should work quite well. You won't have a pilsner, you won't have a 'traditional' American Lager, but you should have a beer that actually balances quite well, and tastes quite good......and after all, isn't that the object of the excersise in the first place?? Good tasting beer??

edit spealung.

Hi brewing brethren - I am thinking of cranking a pilsener, however I don't have any hallertauer for the finishing hops. I have plenty of Saaz and Cascade though, and was thinking of using the Saaz as per normal, but substitung the Cascade for the last couple of minutes of the boil - has anyone tried this? I'm all for experimenting if the brew is likely to turn out OK.

Use all saaz mate,after a long ferment a month of cold conditioning fining/filtering etc I'd kick myself if it tasted like an apa.

Oh btw i love cascade,but i don't think it is delicate enough for a pils.IMHO

..."It's a bloody drink.... get over it".

So it will be a "lager with cascade" as opposed to a "pilsner". Big whoop......if it tastes good, do it...

Nuff Said!

Good onya Stevo for having a go. I often wonder would some snub LCBA if it wasn't such a commercial success?

<snip - blurb about doing it anyway and ignoring tradition>

Totally agree. Should the brewers like Crouch Vale, Dark Star, Kelham Island etc not use US hops in their bitters? Kelham Island won Champion Beer of Britain a few years back with US hops (Pale Rider). What should they be calling their bitters and golden ales that use US hops?

One of the most interesting beers I've ever tried was an experimental young lambic from Cantillon that was brewed with cascade hops (as opposed to aged hops) and dry hopped with cascade. Should they not have called it a lambic ? (Jonge Lambik Cascade).

Would it have been more appropriate to call it a "wild beer with cascade" ?? :p

Go for it - it'll probably be great. I've not tried a Pilsner recipe hopped with US varieties, though I've tried APAs and IPAs fermented as lagers at a few brewpubs in the US. Very clean - showcases the hops well.

Latest posts

Back