Pilsener - Cascade Instead Of Hallertauer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha, looks like i've stirred up a few opinions there, good to see :D . My primary purpose is to create a kick-ass beer, will report back in 6 weeks with the results! A week later the Saaz-only pilsner.

Also out of interest, are there two legal spellings of this fine beer - either Pilsner or Pilsener?

haha, looks like i've stirred up a few opinions there, good to see :D . My primary purpose is to create a kick-ass beer, will report back in 6 weeks with the results! A week later the Saaz-only pilsner.

Also out of interest, are there two legal spellings of this fine beer - either Pilsner or Pilsener?

Pilsen isn't actually Pilsen it's Plzen, but the town had a German name during it's time in the Austro Hungarian Empire at the time the first golden beer was developed. Pilsener is the original name for the beer but has been shortened in various parts of Europe to Pilsner or even just Pils. If you walk into a Dutch bar and ask for 'een pils' they'll chuck you a Heineken <_<

On original topic, 2 days ago I racked an Amber into secondary, I had used Cascade for the first time and on sipping a hydro sample I was suddenly in the Cascade Mountains singing Cowboy songs, definitely not in Central Europe eyeing off the straw headed ample rumped frauleins B)

Edit: no not Brokeback Mountain, noooooooooooooooooooo

Pilsen isn't actually Pilsen it's Plzen, but the town had a German name during it's time in the Austro Hungarian Empire at the time the first golden beer was developed...

Quite a bit of that going on. Pilsen/Plzen, Budweis/Budejovice, Saaz/Zatec, etc.

Maybe you can learn some tips from Artic Fox Brewing with their Ice Cap Lager? Hopped with Cascade and Summer Saaz.

Not a Pilsner, may not be a helles or a CAP, but it sure is a Lager. At least thats what you will get from this exercise right? a decent HB lager.

Cheers and beers!

Back