Pikantus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkFaerytale

Fuggle Abuse
Reaction score
i bought a bottle of this from dan's last night and it has to be the highest rating beer i'v had, really blew my mind, i was wondering if anyone has a recipe for Pikantus or a good dunkelwizenbock as a search didn't yeild very much

cheers

-Phill

i bought a bottle of this from dan's last night and it has to be the highest rating beer i'v had, really blew my mind, i was wondering if anyone has a recipe for Pikantus or a good dunkelwizenbock as a search didn't yeild very much

cheers

-Phill

Now it's time to try the Schneider Aventinus.
Then see what recipe you want to go looking for.

Then try the Eisbock! ^_^

If you ever get in towards the city Phill, I'm positive you can pick Aventinus up from Purvis Cellars (whitehorse road surrey hills), or a bit further away, Acland Cellars (st kilda), Grain and Grape (site sponsor, yarraville) and possibly the Cloudwine stores (http://www.cloudwine.com.au/).

Cheers.

went looking for a recipe...

This is what i found...
Schneider Aventinus Clone

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
58.5 9.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
14.6 2.25 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
16.3 2.50 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
10.6 1.63 lbs. CaraMunich 40 France 1.034 40

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat (or 3068 Weihenstephan)

Found this recipe on BYO...
Aventinus Weizenbock
by Mikoli Weaver

(5 gallons, all-grain)

Ingredients:

7.25 lbs. wheat malt
6 lbs. Munich two-row
0.3 lb. chocolate malt
1.25 oz. Hallertauer hops (3.7% alpha acid): 1 oz. for 90 min., 0.25 oz. at end of boil
Wyeast 2206 (Bavarian lager) or 3333 (German wheat)
2/3 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Mash grains in 4.25 gal. water in a single infusion at 152 F for 60 min. Sparge with 170 F water to collect 5.5 gal.
Total boil is 90 min. At start of boil, add 1 oz. Hallertauer hops. At end of boil add 0.25 oz. Hallertauer hops. Chill to 45 F and pitch yeast in a starter.
Ferment at 45 F for three days. Raise to 50 F for three days. Raise to 55. Rack into secondary when gravity reaches less than 1.020. Cool to 40 F and ferment to 1.008 (about three more days). Age at 40 F until clear (seven to
14 days). Bottle and prime. Condition in the bottle as long as desired (30 to 60 days).
*Note: To employ a step mash, the real Aventius employs a rest at 128 F and is stepped up to 152 F with hot water.

Have a search for Aventinus - I have brewed The Jovial Monks award winning recipe(http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=656&st=15) and it is a cracker....The last batch was a modified recipe for the WA chrissy case and from memory I upped the melanoiden.

The book Clone brews also has a recipe.

Make sure you bottle a few keepers coz I have enjoyed seeing how the flavours change over 6-9 months...I can't manage to keep my paws of the bottles for longer than that. :D

Edit: Gave credit for the The JM's recipe to another brewer...yikes...

If someone has the clone brews recipe - i would like to see it posted here.

Thanks

I agree that the Aventinus is definitely a tastier drop than Pikantus, although that's not bad either.

I have always wondered what sort of yeast Schneider use with Aventinus, looking at these recipes it seems no-one else is too sure either...

foo5.jpg

This is an excellent dunkler weizenbock - and it's been the subject of discussion on our club forum - I've been picking Kurtz's brain on this one and may have a solution. I originally received the following Aventinus clone recipe from Mark Nesdoly on the hbd.org forum:
Hi Rowan,
Way, way back (October 1997) I brewed one. I had a big assortment of small quantities of specialty grains left over and wanted to get rid of them. Because this beer was rather "big" it took a while for it to mellow. However, once it did, it was a dead ringer for Schneider Aventinus. Quite the feat, considering that I hadn't tasted Aventinus prior to brewing this. I actually had my first bottle about a month after I finished this keg. When I first tasted Aventinus, I couldn't believe how much it tasted like this batch, but I wasn't sure. I had my wife taste it and the first thing she said was "This tastes like the one you made." This was followed by me bouncing around the kitchen pumping my fist and yelling "YES! YES! YES! YES!" This is for a 5 gallon batch.

Grist:
3.15 kg wheat malt
2.40 kg 2-row pale malt
475 g roasted wheat (homemade: 230F 45 min, then 300F for 45 min)
475 g caramel wheat (homemade: I think I mashed it whole at about 150F then roasted it in the oven at something like 230F for 45 min)
400 g caravienne (20L)
325 g chocolate malt
163 g caramunich malt

A decoction mash was performed, and 3 ml of 21% phosphoric acid was added to the mash at the beginning.
Twenty-two (22) litres of tap water was added to the mash (some hot, some cold) to hit 98F for 20 minutes for an acid rest. 11 litres of the thickest part of the mash was pulled and separately heated to 158F. It was held at this temperature for 20 minutes, then boiled. It was allowed to boil for 10 minutes, then added back to the mash. The combination hit 145F, and I must not have been happy with this because according to my notes I immediately added another 2 litres of cold tap water. It then settled at 135F. I held this temperature for 20 minutes, then pulled another 12 litres of the thickest part of the mash and separately heated it to 158F, and held this temperature for 15 minutes, then boiled for 5 minutes. When it was added back the mash, the combination hit 154F, and I held this for 20 minutes. 6 litres of the thinnest part of the mash was then pulled, and I added 7 litres of tap water to this, then boiled it for 5 minutes. When it was added back to the mash, the temperature settled at 167F. This was a batch sparge (no extra water used for sparging - just drained whatever I could get out of the mash tun.) I collected 25 litres of wort in 50 minutes.

Boil: 90 minute duration. 1.5 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker whole hops (3.2%) FWH (first wort hopped - basically added as soon as the runoff was started.) At the 75 minute point (15 minutes remaining in the boil), 1/4 tsp of Irish moss and 1 tsp of yeast nutrient were added.

The wort was chilled with an immersion chiller to 67F, and a starter of Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat was pitched.

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.015

Primary fermentation at 62 - 68F for 14 days. Kegged and chilled to 40F, then force carbonated at 12 psi to hit 2.47 volumes of CO2.

Hope this helps.

-- Mark

...so that's a bit more complicated than I'd expected, but then again, Pikantus is no ordinary beer and I liked the notes on roasting grains since it's easier to find a virgin in Kambah than choc wheat in Canberra...!

I'm working on the Pikantus recipe in Promash right now.....and according to concensus in the club and other similar recipes in Clonebrews, it looks like 3068 is the go for the yeast. Clonebrews doesn't have Pikantus (dammit) but it does have Aventinus Wheat-Doppelbock, Edelweiss Dunkel Weissbier, Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, Ayinger Maibock, Celebrator Doppelbock and Unicer Super Bock, so it looks like I'm in for an exotic winter!!

P.S. Erdinger's website has the Pikantus OG at 16,9 P and alcohol at 7.3% v/v so you need to get around 79% attenuation...I'll do a basic wheat first with the 3068 and then repitch the pikantus wort onto it and let nature take it's toll on the sugars!

If it works as I hope it to, I'll post the recipe (after I put it in the comp)!! B) ;) :lol:

Cheers,
TL

Having read around a bit more it seems that 3068 is the one to aim for.

Your recipe looks complex, but if that's the price you must pay, then it's worth it!

Latest posts

Back