Pigs Fly Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Was in my local liquor last night and noticed this one: Pigs Fly Pale Ale. Never heard of it so I thought Id try it. It was a bloody nice ale. Beautiful copper colour, very tasty, my kind of easy quaffing ale. Apparently brewed with Chinnook at a micro brewery in Bowral NSW (just up the road from me). It said on the label brewed under licence for Moss Vale Brewery (just round the corner from Bowral). Did a search on here and couldnt find anything. Anyone else heard of it, tried it. The logo is of a cute little pig with wings.
Cheers
Steve

Was in my local liquor last night and noticed this one: Pigs Fly Pale Ale. Never heard of it so I thought Id try it. It was a bloody nice ale. Beautiful copper colour, very tasty, my kind of easy quaffing ale. Apparently brewed with Chinnook at a micro brewery in Bowral NSW (just up the road from me). It said on the label brewed under licence for Moss Vale Brewery (just round the corner from Bowral). Did a search on here and couldnt find anything. Anyone else heard of it, tried it. The logo is of a cute little pig with wings.
Cheers
Steve

Steve,

I haven't tried it, but my brother-in-law has. A restuarant in Mittagong has it on special the night they had dinner there. He has a few, and commented how enjoyable it was. Didn't bring one back for me to try though. :angry:

More information available here

Cheers,
Jase

Good on them

Look forward to trying it ................... well done

Cheers

From the website: "circumnavigating the impossible by creating an unique and flavoursome beer like no other."

Hmm, LCPA rip offs are hardly unique.

"Micro Fermented in small batches this brew is an Australian style Ale uning a unique blend of aromatic hops, traditional fermenting techniques and the finest Australian Barley. Brewed fresh from all Natural ingredients.

Fresh Australian Chinook Hops: a floral bittering hop used to provide the backbone to the flavour and aromas of peach and apricot.
Finest Australian 6 row barley: Imparts body and depth to the beer along with its unique copper colour.
Traditional top fermenting London ale yeast creates a beer with a silky fine mouthfeel and slight sweetness complementing the bitter Chinook characters."

6 row barley,Why?

Yes I want to know if/how/since when you could get 6 row barley in Australia :unsure:

Very similar in label style Tangent.Had to look twice i thought it was the pilsner label for a sec.

Cheers
Big D

After seeing this thread earlier on I've spent the rest of the day wanting to try this beer :lol:

Bought a six pack on the way home and just cracked one...glad I bought six, they'll all be gone by bedtime :chug:

PZ.

which retailer FLB?

I noticed Steve saying he got it from Local Liquor and my local supermarket is a member of that chain.

They are only in NSW & ACT (I think), so that won't really help you... :(

PZ.

Yes I want to know if/how/since when you could get 6 row barley in Australia :unsure:

Yeah given that from a commercial point of view most brewers would want a quick and easy conversion to make brewing more streamlined,why would anyone use old 6 row?

A mate of mine brought me back some from his trip to Bowral, and I hate to say it, but I wasnt really that impressed, but maybe cause I had been drinking my own beforehand. Havent tried it on a clean palate, to be honest, but after trying 2 stubbies, I decided I didnt really want to. I was also wondering, like Brauluver, why 6 row? And I also didnt even know that there was australian grown chinook. That said, the more micro's in this country, the better, and you are probably best off to form your own opinion on it, if you can get your hands on it.
All the best
Trent

Just wanted to address a couple of the points raised in your discussion on Pigs Fly Pale Ale. The beer has only been on the market since March, hence the limited availability. Being a small company, our plan was to start locally, (Southern Highlands), then move into other areas, Canberra, Wollongong, Sydney and across the rest of NSW, and then interstate. We are only just at the point where we are beginning to establish a presence in Sydney. Australian Liquor Marketers have ranged the beer for distribution purposes, so we are hoping this may help accelerate the process of moving into other states. If you're ever in the Bowral area, it's available at pretty much every bottle shop and restaurant, and on tap at The Briars Inn and The Royal Hotel. In NSW & the ACT, all Cellarbrations, Porters, Liquor Stax and Local Liquor bottle shops can order it through ALM.

Regarding the Little Creatures comments. There is plenty to admire about Little Creatures. Not only their beers, but their commitment to what they do and the way they do it. But our intention has never been to imitate them in any way other than to produce really flavoursome craft beer. As far as the logo is concerned, the pig with wings was the result of circumstance more than anything else. The PA was originally going to be called "Pigs Ear" until someone got wind of the plan, trademarked the name and then tried to sell it back to its creators! We opted to change the name instead. That's how it ended up as "Pigs Fly"and our pig ain't flying unless he's got wings!

I've referred brewing questions to our brewer, Joe Duncan and we'll get back to you shortly. Thanks for taking an interest. As home brewers, you guys know better than anyone else that there's a whole world of beer out there that the average punter knows nothing about. Our experience at tastings, festivals etc. is that other than the diehard VB drinkers, most of them are keen to try new things and more importantly learn more about this parallel beer universe where quality and flavour are paramount.

Regards,
Steve Anderson
Director
Bowral Brewing Company

Just wanted to address a couple of the points raised in your discussion on Pigs Fly Pale Ale. The beer has only been on the market since March, hence the limited availability. Being a small company, our plan was to start locally, (Southern Highlands), then move into other areas, Canberra, Wollongong, Sydney and across the rest of NSW, and then interstate. We are only just at the point where we are beginning to establish a presence in Sydney. Australian Liquor Marketers have ranged the beer for distribution purposes, so we are hoping this may help accelerate the process of moving into other states. If you're ever in the Bowral area, it's available at pretty much every bottle shop and restaurant, and on tap at The Briars Inn and The Royal Hotel. In NSW & the ACT, all Cellarbrations, Porters, Liquor Stax and Local Liquor bottle shops can order it through ALM.

Regarding the Little Creatures comments. There is plenty to admire about Little Creatures. Not only their beers, but their commitment to what they do and the way they do it. But our intention has never been to imitate them in any way other than to produce really flavoursome craft beer. As far as the logo is concerned, the pig with wings was the result of circumstance more than anything else. The PA was originally going to be called "Pigs Ear" until someone got wind of the plan, trademarked the name and then tried to sell it back to its creators! We opted to change the name instead. That's how it ended up as "Pigs Fly"and our pig ain't flying unless he's got wings!

I've referred brewing questions to our brewer, Joe Duncan and we'll get back to you shortly. Thanks for taking an interest. As home brewers, you guys know better than anyone else that there's a whole world of beer out there that the average punter knows nothing about. Our experience at tastings, festivals etc. is that other than the diehard VB drinkers, most of them are keen to try new things and more importantly learn more about this parallel beer universe where quality and flavour are paramount.

Regards,
Steve Anderson
Director
Bowral Brewing Company

Cheers Stevea for your input. Always good to here it from the 'orses mouth so to speak. Good luck with your new venture. I will certainly be buying some more. :beer:
Cheers
Steve

[/quote]

Cheers Stevea for your input. Always good to here it from the 'orses mouth so to speak. Good luck with your new venture. I will certainly be buying some more. :beer:
Cheers
Steve
[/quote]

I second Steve comments. Can't knock someone for havin a go. Welcome aboard AHB. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to trying some of your beers. Just need to get my hands on some.

Cheers,
Jase

Good on you Steve for having a go " More power to you" I hope you prosper :super:

Yeah,Thanks Steve :) for taking the time to not only answer my email ,but also to hit the link,join up and contribute to the thread.I look 4ward to hearing from the brewer in regards to the 6 row question.
Hope your ale makes its way to S.A one day soon so I can wrap my taste buds around it.

Would love to know when this hits Victoria (specifically Melbourne). I'm always up for a taste of something new.

If it's anything remotely like LCPA (I realise this was not your intention), then I'll be a fan I'm sure...

Back