Pigs Fly Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for shooting off earlier on, I will give you a break if someone flogged your orginal brand name. Had a similar thing happen to me once.

I guess I was little stirred up by another brewery (won't name names) who crapped on with this story about all their life they've brewed beers and had this great love of beer. Turns out they were just cashed up punters giving the marketing spele, when in fact they had bought a mega bucks brewhouse and didn't have a clue how beer was even made. People doing this (and then making crap mega swill style beer) just makes it harder for the genuine guys who want to have a crack.

Judging by the reviews on here what you are doing is a lot better than that. I'm keen to give it go and all the best with it. But please tell us where the Aussie Chinook is coming from?

I live in Moss Vale and the Pigs Fly has become a bit of a favourite of mine. One of the local pubs has it on tap as well as a few other tasty morsels such as Speckled Hen. The beer is a typical APA style with citrus and melon like aroma. The initial sips are all aroma and flavour. I would say it is balance towards the aroma and flavour and so is not great in the malt. Finish is a little dissapointing but not unpleasant. Definitly recommended if you get a chance.

Floculator

Tim

Just an update for anyone who has been following my query regarding the 6 row malt used in this beer.

I emailed them and Steva not only replied to my email,but also followed the link,joined and replied on forum :beer:

He forwarded my email about info on why the choice of 6 row to the brewer, but so far no response.

The marketing guy is keen it would seem ,but the brewer is a little more secretive about his malt choice.

I know I can't be the only one who is keen to hear about a commercial brewer using 6 row so I'll keep persisting with the emails cos i'm curious(a nosy *******)

Thanks for your interest in our beer. Sorry about the slow response. Things can get a bit hectic.

In regards to your question about 6 row, we use a portion of 6 row to have a point of difference about our beer. It tends to be higher in proteins but a lightens the palate a bit - so we can hop it up a bit more without overdoing it. As you know we use Chinook hops and some cascade; great partners as the Chinook fills in the bitterness lacked by pure cascade. We cant disclose the proportions or details as this is the backbone of our company.

You may be interested to know that the roots of this beer lie in home brew like you guys! Some mates and I were keen home brewers and quite proud of some of our brews. We came up with a brew and label and entered it into the Nescafe Big Break. From there we won $5000; found some great partners like Steve and from there its been one big adventure (and bloody heaps of work).

All the best with your home brews - hopefully we will have some of the pig in Adelaide one day for you to try.

Cheers
Joe
logo.gif

Cheers for the reply Joe.

Thats a great way to get noticed with the nescafe thingy.

hope it is a successful and prosperous venture for you all :beer:

Oh and if you guys ever want to send a stray sixer to S.A for marketing research/feed back I'm sure I could round up a few other S.a based AHB members who would love to help out(purely for technical reasons of course) ;)

:lol: Dave

Great to get some real feedback from the brewers.Top stuff guys and im hanging out to try your beers one day.

Cheers
Big D

Back