Epic Pale Ale - First Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gracebeey

Reaction score
Hi all, firstly I wish everyone a happy and successful new year!

Last night I tried a beer so wonderful I thought I'd share with you all. It's a New Zealand beer (it's been mentioned in another NZ brewery thread, which does not specifically discuss this beer) called Epic Pale Ale. It comes in an honest size of 500ml bottle (I really like this size - too bad I couldn't swipe the bottles home I would love to have this for my home brews).

The bottle claims that the beer has 23 (twenty three!) different hops in it, and you know what, I believe them. The moment you pour it into a glass you can smell the floral/fruity aroma already. It has low bitterness, but very very (x10) tasty. The main flavours that I identified are white grapes, ripe grapefruit/citrus, and a hint of honey and rose water. Sorry if my description is weird, by the way.

This is one of those beers that would be wasted if drunk from the bottle. I would say you definitely need to drink this from a glass (I never drink beer from the bottle anyway), if anything to enjoy the aroma - which is quite strong.

Sorry to go on and on about it, I'm just so impressed with it. And no I'm not on their payroll, although I wish I was. I heard it's a one-man operation, actually. I will be going to Acland Cellars in St Kilda later on today to get more of this thing.

Has anyone else tried it?

Grace

yeah I had it and is one Pale Ale I dont like..

too much going on I rekon...

yeah I had it and is one Pale Ale I dont like..

too much going on I rekon...

Really? That's the exact reason why I like it, I actually mentioned last night to my drinking partner that 'it's like there's a party in my mouth!' (I think it's a jingle for a commercial but anyway, it's appropriate).

Had the epic mayhem the other day. My kind of beer! To match, the wife cooked up some pasta alla matriciana - and she knocked the chilli jar and dumped far too much chilli into it (her words, not mine). Excess chilli + excess hops in the mayhem made the perfect match, and I was sitting in a chilli/hop high heaven for an hour or so after it was all finished :)

If you like balance, don't get the mayhem. But if you're looking for something a little different, I recommend it. For whatever that is worth.

Hi all, firstly I wish everyone a happy and successful new year!

Last night I tried a beer so wonderful I thought I'd share with you all. It's a New Zealand beer (it's been mentioned in another NZ brewery thread, which does not specifically discuss this beer) called Epic Pale Ale. It comes in an honest size of 500ml bottle (I really like this size - too bad I couldn't swipe the bottles home I would love to have this for my home brews).

The bottle claims that the beer has 23 (twenty three!) different hops in it, and you know what, I believe them. The moment you pour it into a glass you can smell the floral/fruity aroma already. It has low bitterness, but very very (x10) tasty. The main flavours that I identified are white grapes, ripe grapefruit/citrus, and a hint of honey and rose water. Sorry if my description is weird, by the way.

This is one of those beers that would be wasted if drunk from the bottle. I would say you definitely need to drink this from a glass (I never drink beer from the bottle anyway), if anything to enjoy the aroma - which is quite strong.

Sorry to go on and on about it, I'm just so impressed with it. And no I'm not on their payroll, although I wish I was. I heard it's a one-man operation, actually. I will be going to Acland Cellars in St Kilda later on today to get more of this thing.

Has anyone else tried it?

Grace

Yeah what a great pale ale it is. Luke Nicholas, the brewer comes across as a very nice guy and a good marketer as well.

btw, it is brewed using 100% US Cascade :)

Had the epic mayhem the other day. My kind of beer!

If you like balance, don't get the mayhem. But if you're looking for something a little different, I recommend it. For whatever that is worth.

I had Mayhem on NYE and it was awesome. I dont know if it was the age of the bottle i had but i'd rate it more for balance compared to their AIPA. Awweeesome.

Its quite a deceptive beer. The low IBU bitterness is balanced well with the crystal and malt character and it sure doesnt drink like a 6% beer. When i think of a imperial pale ale i can only ever picture a ramped up IBU:ABV ratio which then turns into an AIPA :lol: . Great to see some skill of bumping just the ABV and couple that with some malt/hop tweaking to create something superb like Mayhem.

Hats off to Epic! :beerbang:

I have had both the Epic Pale Ale and the Armageddon, I thought both where great, but the Aramageddon didn't really seem like it had as much going on as the Epic. I have a bottle of the Mayhem as well, so can't wait to try that as well.

The 23 hops thing is how many whole hop cones there would be if he actually used whole hop cones. You should look out for Epic Armegeddon IPA if you like hoppy beers! :)

If your near Acland Cellars I assume you've been to The Local? Both Feral Hop Hog IPA & Mountain Goat IPA on tap last night, both pretty damn good!

I LOVE this beer. It's not so easy to find here, and the place I got it from seems to keep putting off when it's getting it back. Epic is easily the best name for it, as it describes it to a T :p
Personally, I don't know if I could actually name 23 hops.

The Epic Armageddon is one of the best IPA's going round this side of the states. Incredible beer.

Also Mountain Goat on tap? Next to hop hog? Weeee!!!

Was the hop hog heaps better or have mountain goat actually made a decent IPA this time?

I had Mayhem on NYE and it was awesome. I dont know if it was the age of the bottle i had but i'd rate it more for balance compared to their AIPA. Awweeesome.
Could just be my pallette. I'm still a noob at tasting beer.

I think the best bit of this beer was opening the bottle. It was like opening a bag of hops. Awesome. It's was like some hot chick had walked up to me and slapped me in the face... then winked at me in a tantalising manner. Like she was calling me a bad boy, then inviting me back to her place. The stuff dreams are made of.

The taste was just hops, hops, hops for me. You're right on the bitterness, but the malt for me was just a carrier for the hops - I wouldn't say it had "malt character", as all I got was hops. But I loved it. Wish I had have bought a few more, although I paid $14 for my bottle so had to restrict the quantity to 1!!

It's because I found it so over the top (a good thing, IMO) on the hops that it matched so well with the wifes "oops I spilled all the chilli into the pot" pasta. Chilli goes with everything, IMO, but it goes REALLY well with hops :)

I also have the Epic Armageddon IPA waiting to go in the fridge at home. I'm doubly excited by it now due to your comments! I didn't get the Epic Pale, as I already had a couple of pales in the basket (TTLL and Sierra Nevada)

I wouldn't say it had "malt character", as all I got was hops. But I loved it.

If you try enough US brewed APA and AIPA you will start to pickup the distinct malt profile they usually have. Sweet caramel (sometimes heavy) but never cloying. Mayhem reminded me of how well balanced yet overly hopped the Lagunitas IPA is and the crystal malt profile was spot on. :icon_drool2:

The Epic Armageddon is one of the best IPA's going round this side of the states. Incredible beer.

Also Mountain Goat on tap? Next to hop hog? Weeee!!!

Was the hop hog heaps better or have mountain goat actually made a decent IPA this time?

The problem with the previous incarnation of Mountain Goat IPA was that it was organic, therefore relient on NZ hops. While still an OK beer it certainly was not a great IPA. I believe they are now using Cascade, Simcoe & Galaxy hops. The Hop Hog is still better but I'd happily drink either all night long.

I think the best bit of this beer was opening the bottle. It was like opening a bag of hops. Awesome. It's was like some hot chick had walked up to me and slapped me in the face... then winked at me in a tantalising manner. Like she was calling me a bad boy, then inviting me back to her place. The stuff dreams are made of.

This may be the greatest description for a beer ever :p

This stuff is even better on tap.
I used to go to the Cock and Bull in north Hamilton NZ when I lived there still, and EPIC on tap was a real eye-opener :)
Mind you i liked all their beers.

The problem with the previous incarnation of Mountain Goat IPA was that it was organic, therefore relient on NZ hops. While still an OK beer it certainly was not a great IPA. I believe they are now using Cascade, Simcoe & Galaxy hops. The Hop Hog is still better but I'd happily drink either all night long.

Thats a fantastic lineup of hops. Simcoe and galaxy will taste like pure win I imagine. I'll head down for my first trip to the brewery on wednesday methinks. Anyone know whats on tap at the royston atm? I may as well pop in there too if there is anything good.

The 23 hops thing is how many whole hop cones there would be if he actually used whole hop cones. You should look out for Epic Armegeddon IPA if you like hoppy beers! :)

If your near Acland Cellars I assume you've been to The Local? Both Feral Hop Hog IPA & Mountain Goat IPA on tap last night, both pretty damn good!

I will look out for Armageddon, everyone seems to think that this thing is sex on legs!

Yes I'm near Acland Cellars, in fact I just found out about The Local's beers recently. I've passed it many times but never stopped by even though it looked inviting, because I thought it's just another pub ;) . I will sign up for their Ale Star thing tonight.

I haven't had Feral Hop Hog yet, however Mountain Goat IPA is quite good, though not as hoppy as I would prefer in my humble opinion. May drop by The Local on the way to Acland Cellars tonight, actually, so I'll try it then.

Grace

YES THIS BEER IS AWESOME... AND I AM MEANING TO SHOUT!

Ran into it at LC Dinning Hall in Melborne and it blew me away. Not only is it now at the top of my pale ale list with Alpha running a second :eek: its the best commercial beer Ive had since... well I can remember when :D

Terrible news, according to Acland Cellars Epic Armageddon is no more. No more as in, no more in the foreseeable future. It's apparently completely sold out, the importers don't have any more, and there is no batch on the way or in the making :( .

So just to be safe I hoarded a few bottles of the Epic Pale Ale that they still have, and a couple Sierra Nevadas.

If anyone knows where to get the Armageddon IPA in Melbourne please let me know!

Grace

Terrible news, according to Acland Cellars Epic Armageddon is no more. No more as in, no more in the foreseeable future. It's apparently completely sold out, the importers don't have any more, and there is no batch on the way or in the making :( .

So just to be safe I hoarded a few bottles of the Epic Pale Ale that they still have, and a couple Sierra Nevadas.

If anyone knows where to get the Armageddon IPA in Melbourne please let me know!

Grace

Try slowbeer, Chris has some left according to the website. I dont think I'll fork out the 12.50 a bottle any more, but the 3 I had last time I was in were heavenly. Please tell me you picked up some Torpedo while you were in haha.

Latest posts

Back