PID Controllers on Ebay (are they any good)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have been testing these PIDS over the last week and today it seems that I have them calibrated and running very nicely.

The autotune seems to do really well. I think these PIDS (thermocouples) would do a lot better surrounded by water but I have mine setup for heat mats. I had to place the probe basically on the heat mat and then on top of that is fake grass. I then had to check the temp for where I actually wanted a reading and it was about 2 degrees out so I adjusted the PIDS to read what I wanted to see.
The volt meter works really good but it definately overkill for this setup as the heat mats are only 15w each so they are not drawing enough to change the reading from 00.0
I have plugged a heater into it and it went up to 9.5A for a 2200-2400w heater
Will keep you guys posted if any one is interested. I have just purchased 2 more today but wont get them for a while. I will use one for my sous vide when it arrives and my sous vide auber pid will go back to my egg incubator as egg temp is very important :) But who knows, these cheap pids may just be as good

Macca

been using a rex c100 for assorted purposes for 18 months or so. mine was a relay version but pulled the relay out and soldered a couple of links across to the output so it drives an SSR directly. I fitted the lot into a metal project case and stuck a powerpoint on the front so its versatile.
its currently sitting in an old fridge cycling an iron to keep my fermenter at 30C. thermocouple just monitoring air temperature in there.
turned off the I and the D and set P to about 6. the autotune works but gets a bit baffled with long time constants, no need to use it for simple tasks.
I have used it to run IR ovens to do reflow soldering, meat dehydrating, boiler controller, fermenting etc. even kept some little chicks warm for a few weeks. every home should have one lol.

only issue I have with them, the output terminals are not attached to the PCB, just a spread clip type of thing, the pcb connector is not gold plated, just flash tin plated so if in a humid environment the pcb connection will fail eventually. needed to pull mine apart and clean the edge contacts once so far.

macca05 said:
Hey all,
Just an update on the rex pids. I went ahead and ordered 2 to see for myself how they are. Wired them up with ssr's and pt100's and although I have not been running them for long they seem to be great. Have not donethe autotune yet either. Will post back more info when I have tested them a bit more :)
Macca, can you tell me which REX C100 you bought? i would be keen for one that can use an RTD as i have a couple of PT100s around already.

macca05 said:
I bought it from these guys on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360880705122?var=630246912018&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Be prepared to wait 5-6 weeks tho. Very slow with there postal service.
Makecsure it is the pidthat says ssr output. So far I have bought 4 from these guys and 3 work great. Havent powered up the 4th one

Macca
Thanks for that. I have a couple of PIDs in other equipment, but they both use K-type thermos which are more annoying in an environment where its not all in one unit. RTDs are much easier there as it doesnt require specific resistance wire etc.

Basically all of these eBay mobs use the slowest postage in the world though.

macca05 said:
Sorry to be a pain.. Can you recommend a Temp Probe for my HLT to run with this PID.
I was Looking at these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Digital-PID-Temperature-Controller-40A-SSR-K-Thermostat-Sensor-Heat-Sink-/310881980306?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item4862028f92
Only because it comes with SSR and heat sink.
But I just don’t know about the probes. Thx

battz said:
Sorry to be a pain.. Can you recommend a Temp Probe for my HLT to run with this PID.
I was Looking at these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Digital-PID-Temperature-Controller-40A-SSR-K-Thermostat-Sensor-Heat-Sink-/310881980306?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item4862028f92
Only because it comes with SSR and heat sink.
But I just don’t know about the probes. Thx
Battz,with the heat sink,although it comes with the purchase and would then need a metal backed enclosure for it to work properly. Have you thought about making an enclosure from other materials,an IP rated enclosure would do the job, but mount a small fan in the enclosure with a grill behind to allow for air circulation with air holes on the side for flow.

Cheers...spog....

spog said:
Battz,with the heat sink,although it comes with the purchase and would then need a metal backed enclosure for it to work properly. Have you thought about making an enclosure from other materials,an IP rated enclosure would do the job, but mount a small fan in the enclosure with a grill behind to allow for air circulation with air holes on the side for flow.

Cheers...spog....
Thx spog. I have several repurposed enclosures I can score from work. Most have heat sinks fitted but not designed for SSR's. Also heaps of cooling fans to pick from. I got that part of it sorted. It's just matching the temp probe to thermowell and PID. I'm just not familiar with all the different sorts of temp probes available. I was hoping some1 might just say you need a xxxx probe for that PID and it will fit xxx thermowell.

A 3 wire pt100 rtd is what your after, it will be better than that probe.i dont kow about the rex pids I assume they are capable accepting an rtd.you will just have to choose one for the purpose in which you intend to install it ie thermowell or directly screwed in etc.
I use a couple sestos pids which seem to work well.i have a coupke of those fotek ssr's and the same heat sink and even without thermal paste I can have my hlt heating for 1.5hrs b4 I wake in the morning and the ssr is not hot with no fans in my enclosure.(2.4kw element 40a ssr) I have another running my 3kw hx which also runs cool.
Edit I usr my rtd's in t pieces with ulkhead fitting screwed in

+ 1 for what dave81 has posted.
I hooked my RTD 100 upto a 3 pin jack,have a search in Gear and Equipment for RTD's,heaps of info there.
Mind you those PID's do my head in,mine is a single step jobby which suits me as I do ( when I get back into it) Brew in a Basket.
I just need to calibrate and auto tune it and it should be good to go.
Cheers....spog.

Thx for the info guy's.. Wow so many different ways of doing stuff.
I'll check out those links now.

Moad that Auber is the one I use on my 3V and I that commented on that takes a bit of getting used too.

If you go that way, here's a link to download a word doc I created that I keep handy.

Latest posts

Back