PID Controllers on Ebay (are they any good)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macca05

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know there are many topics based on which is better etc, but this is not what I am going to ask.
What I would like to know is if anyone has any of the cheapo pid controllers from ebay such as this
PID Controller
and do they actually work. My other hobby is reptiles and with reptile heating the controllers are expensive (well for me)
and I was hoping that these pids would be good enough to use.
I know I could buy Sestos or Auberins but the more money I could save the better. I already have 3 auberins pids :)

Just want to know if they are good enough to hold a temp within a degree or less even if they are K type.

Cheers

Macca

Don't know if I would want to risk the lives of pets (well reptiles) on something that cheap. Let's face it, reptiles arn't cheap in the first place, you at least want to be aiming for something that is middle of the road. I paid $25 for some PIDs about 3 yrs back on Ebay. They sre still working reliably.

Yeh I know thats definately understandable. I may look at the sestos ones as the auberins add up very quickly when u add the pt100's etc.

Cheers

I would avoid those Rex C100. They are often sold as SSR compatible when not and may only support K type thermocouples.
The Sestos is a much better choice IMO even at 3x the price.

anthonyUK said:
I would avoid those Rex C100. They are often sold as SSR compatible when not and may only support K type thermocouples.
The Sestos is a much better choice IMO even at 3x the price.
I agree . A mate of mine purchased a REX and it didn't work waste of money .

I've got a Rex with SSR output and it works just fine.

Do you remember which buyer you boughtbit from?

Ebay seller of Rex C100 has 98% positive feedback after over 80,000 sales.

Can't be that bad..............

At least I hope not as I have one on order :ph34r:

I have a Sestos to heat sparge water for my BM and it is still going fine after 18 months.

Hi Andy

That was the same components that I got when I bought mine except mine was a Sestos brand.

I don't think that there is a problem with the Rex but there was another bloke on here that said the instructions with the Rex were next to useless.
Not counting a faulty unit, I think that both units do the job as intended.

Cheers

Cheers for all the info guys. Will weigh up my options to see which ones I should order :)

Macca

Hello,
I have been looking I to this topic also and just need to ask a question about the threads on k sensor.what thread is it ? is there any way they could attach to a t peice coming out of a mash tun on herms setup?
Cheers

Actually mine is the jet 005 model. It will regulate power to the light to maintain a temperature rather than just switch as a thermostat does.

dicko said:
Hi Andy

That was the same components that I got when I bought mine except mine was a Sestos brand.

I don't think that there is a problem with the Rex but there was another bloke on here that said the instructions with the Rex were next to useless.
Not counting a faulty unit, I think that both units do the job as intended.

Cheers

Dicko,

The unit arrived and whoever it was that made the comment regarding the instructions was right.

Unless of course you are fluent in Chinese........... Then they may be fine.

Next R&R I'll be trying to assemble my collection of bits and bobs into a very simple controller.

In the mean time I'll have to try and track down some instructions in English.

Hey all,
Just an update on the rex pids. I went ahead and ordered 2 to see for myself how they are. Wired them up with ssr's and pt100's and although I have not been running them for long they seem to be great. Have not donethe autotune yet either. Will post back more info when I have tested them a bit more :)

Latest posts

Back