Pics Of 3v Gravity System, Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKS

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm sort of just fishin ATM but I'd like to put together a 3 vessel gravity system using 3 x 50ltr Kegs/Keggles. I'm a bit worried about heights. After preliminary sketches, making it manageable to dough in and view inside vessels at different stages etc is going to be a challenge. (I'm a short arse.)

I'm usually doing single batches but I'd like to do the occasional double without much ado, hence the 50ltr.
Using gravity I assume I should, and would like, my keggle / boiler outlet to finish slightly higher than my cube height when on the ground. Then, adding mash tun height and HLT height, well, its getting up there isn't it if using kegs throughout.

Has anyone got pics or specs of a similar system?

I don't want to use a ladder as seen on some posts or get that carried away with it and I'm trying to steer clear of pumps and electricity, I'd like to stay all gas at this stage. HLT and keggle.

I can modify equipment to some extent as I'm very handy with machines and power tools but not at welding stainless.
Frame to be welded RHS made to suit.

Ive searched but found nothing suitable so far, most use a pump. :icon_cheers:
Daz

DKS,

If you want a three tier and don't want to use ladders, then I think you need to either use a pump or start at bench height and provided you can lift a full batch back up to bench height or bucket to your kettle the only obvious solution is the dig a hole beside your rig to put your fermenter into. I'm away from home ATM and photos are on my external HD so I can't post them now.

I've been climbing up and down ladders beside my 4 tier rig for 39 years - I would consider that I'm fitter than most my age (that doesn't mean I'll live longer) The climb will do you good - you'll sleep better at night after a brewday.

HD

My system is almost exactly as you describe, I can take some pics tomorrow if you like.

I'm 6 foot and need to use a step ladder to dough in and stir the mash.

Edit: Found an old photo, I use an insulated keg as the mash tun now.

this is mine i made it as low as possible, you can still put a fermenter under the kettle to fill it.
was originally just using a keggle but i got sick of the boil overs.
brew_rig_1.JPG
View attachment 3_tier_Model__2_.pdf
it changed a bit since the drawing but not too much

cheers,

Stewart

DKS,

If you want a three tier and don't want to use ladders, then I think you need to either use a pump or start at bench height and provided you can lift a full batch back up to bench height or bucket to your kettle the only obvious solution is the dig a hole beside your rig to put your fermenter into. I'm away from home ATM and photos are on my external HD so I can't post them now.

I've been climbing up and down ladders beside my 4 tier rig for 39 years - I would consider that I'm fitter than most my age (that doesn't mean I'll live longer) The climb will do you good - you'll sleep better at night after a brewday.

HD
Arh yes lifting, mmm, double batches , 50kg + , not now.
Burning nipples trying I suspect. I have trouble with hot 23ltrs ATM. Not to mention the outlet tap catching my dangerly bits when lifting to bench height. 50kg hot stainless, no, I couldn't do it.
If you do have pics I am keen to see . Thanks for reply HD. :icon_cheers:
Daz

The ladder is really not a big deal, I'm only ever 2 steps up, and for a total of probably 4 minutes.

You can't do without unless your using a pump or lifting.

i dont use any ladders on mine just fill the hlt with buckets.
would be even easier if you got one of those drinking water caravan hoses.
the mash tun is also only about 850 above the ground.
when i designed it i was trying to keep it as low as possible while still being able to pour straight into a fermeter.
i dont think you'll be able to get it much lower that that using gravity though.
i tried to keep it as low as possible because i think 50L of 80C water is pretty dangerous.

cheers,

stewart

this is mine i made it as low as possible, you can still put a fermenter under the kettle to fill it.
was originally just using a keggle but i got sick of the boil overs.
View attachment 38179
View attachment 38180
it changed a bit since the drawing but not too much

cheers,

Stewart

I had my son make up scaled 3D drawings similar to your attachment Stew. (Little smarty pants only took 10 minutes)This alerted me to overall height and size and concerns as OP
I see youve cut down a few things and I wanted to use a full size keg for kettle maybe a bit smaller for mash and maybe a bit smaller again for HLT
Thinking + or- 12kg max of grain for a double + up to 3ltr of water /kg Call it 40- 45ltr all up, I'll need full keg size or close enough for mash. A full keg for boil and HLT 35ltr there abouts + sparg water again 50ltr keg would be good.

Of course going to a lower profile shaped equipment would help ie' an esky mash tun but there's the rub.I want to stay with kegs.

Daz

i'd say for a kettle if you're doing double batches something bigger than 50L would be good.
otherwise you get a few boil overs and gotta make up by adding water to compensate for evap. loss.
i did it for a while with a keg as a kettle.
got 80L Ally pot now and it kicks arse.

cheers,

stewart

The ladder is really not a big deal, I'm only ever 2 steps up, and for a total of probably 4 minutes.

You can't do without unless your using a pump or lifting.

Stilts?
Seriously though that's the chalenge.
What would underletting acheive for instance?
Positive pressure on a sealed, higher vessle?
There is a few things to consider beside pumps and lifting. Im just not smart enough to work them out yet but some one will. :D

I encountered this problem on the weekend when I was lifting potful's of 80 degree water up to the mash tun for mashing out/sparging - I split half down myself infront of the wife. She *demanded* that I go buy a march pump so I don't hurt myself in the future....

I have a 2 tier with no pump, just transfer from MLT to kettle with a bucket. :D

Paul

When i build mine it will be 2 tier with the kettle low enough that I can drain into a cube, then the HLT and mash tun will be on the next level only just high enough for the mash tun to drain into the kettle. This will require me to use my 12L stainless pots to transfer from HLT to Mash tun.

Hi guys.

I can modify equipment to some extent as I'm very handy with machines and power tools but not at welding stainless.
Frame to be welded RHS made to suit.

gday daz, search for pics of sqyre's rig if you haven't already

question: if you have the RHS and the gear to build it with, why not add a set of steps/stairs to the frame ?

I have a 2 tier with no pump, just transfer from MLT to kettle with a bucket. :D

Paul

thought you had a pump ?

cheers

Dave

Brucey's Stairway to the Stars. Beautiful! Truly a work of art!
post_2137_1172989771_thumb.jpg post_2137_1172989478_thumb.jpg

My old gravity setup. Note that the sleeper on the garden bed acted as a step.
Gravity_Setup.JPG

TP

get ya finger out then ;)

yeah, am building a new mash tun and boiler, taking some cues from yours, as well as upping the boiler 120 litre jobbie

Still learning with the esky and infusion mashs at the moment

Paul

Latest posts

Back