Pickup Tube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew9242

Reaction score
Ok so i put a hole in my 20l pot and screwed in my weldless. Then put on 1/2 inch tap and a pickup tube on the inside. I then filled it up half full and then heated it up. Then put a tube on the tap and drained it. My Question is why doesnt it syphon. And what are the best ways to get it syphoning.

Chers Drew

Not sure I understand the question here....

Do you mean that when you turn the tap on, nothing drains out?

Sorry, when i turn the tap on it drains till the height of the tap and leaves about 3 litres in the pot.

it depends on where the end of the pickup tube is.

Try and get the end of the pickup tube to be as close to the botton of the pot - this will maximise how much you get from it.

Edit- I should mention that the syphon that is created from opening the tap will keep sucking the liquid through the tube as long as the end of the tube is under liquid...the moment it sucks any air, the syphon will stop. Hence getting the pickup tube as close to the bottom as possible. I have a curved tube that picks up reall close to the base edge of my pot.....leaves about 2L of waste which I just calculate into my volume.

there is always going to be some leftover but that isn't necessarily a bad thing...it will mean leaving a lot of the trub behind with it.

Sounds like you have an air leak to me

Yea i Thought it might be air leak, i might play around with it a bit more and see if i can get it working. It doesn't bother me much at the moment, just would like to get it working.

it depends on where the end of the pickup tube is.

Try and get the end of the pickup tube to be as close to the botton of the pot - this will maximise how much you get from it.

Edit- I should mention that the syphon that is created from opening the tap will keep sucking the liquid through the tube as long as the end of the tube is under liquid...the moment it sucks any air, the syphon will stop. Hence getting the pickup tube as close to the bottom as possible. I have a curved tube that picks up reall close to the base edge of my pot.....leaves about 2L of waste which I just calculate into my volume.

there is always going to be some leftover but that isn't necessarily a bad thing...it will mean leaving a lot of the trub behind with it.

Yea i got a BB Pickup tube, and it is hard on the bottom. But i think air is getting in from somewhere else. I'll just retighten and put a hose clamp on the hose.

I reckon you didnt have a hose on the tap, as soon as the water level falls to the level of the tap outlet air fills the tap from the outside and you lose the siphon effect.
Try again with a hose fitted.
MHB

Yea i got a BB Pickup tube, and it is hard on the bottom. But i think air is getting in from somewhere else. I'll just retighten and put a hose clamp on the hose.

+1 for teflon tape on threads. A must on all threaded brewery fittings IMO.

Amazing what a bit of teflon tape and retightning can do. I did a brew in it this arvo and all worked a treat. Its the first time i have used a tap and whirlpool method, it works a treat and so much easier then pouring it through a sieve.

Cheers Drew

Back