Philosophical Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love brewing and drinking the results, but I do like the mellowing effects of the alcohol. So NO I would not drink as much.

Steve

especially since the ACCIDENT ? :excl:

I would now. But my early experiences with beer were more about the buzz than the taste.

I'd guess most of us wouldn't have persevered to get our taste buds to appreciate beer if it wasn't alcoholic.

After a hards day work i need to wind down and seperate my work life from my home life, and a very yummy all grain beer does that. Even if its only one beer (usually two)

If beer didnt have alcohol in it i wouldnt drink it and id probably take up smoking the funky skunky or something, as i need to have some sort of addiction that makes me calm and happy, lol.

short answer...no.

not that i dont enjoy a good beer for the taste. its just like telling a funny joke without the punch line
joe

I hate the effects of alcohol, but love the taste of beer, so I don't drink a huge amount. Like many others I suspect that taste I love alcohol has a huge part to play, and obviously the mellowing effects of alcohol in small dose....brain......like.....mmmmmm.....beer....

Also beer was NOT developed to preserve water, it was a kind of food first much like gruel using very very wild yeasts & vastly different to what we know as beer today it then developed into a Beverage.

Your faithful servant
Brownie

I enjoy the whole process from crushing,to the first samples.If alcohol wasn't a side product I would never had started.

That said,I would still brew if I couldn't drink(god forbid).I don't drink while brewing, so I don't associate brewing and drinking as inclusive.

If not drinking,sample taking might become a prolonged process B)

... I don't drink while brewing ...

I prefer not to drink while brewing - I enjoy the brewing more and think the outcome is better.

Similarly, I prefer to brew alone, although the occassional group-brew is a lot of fun.

What was the topic again? :rolleyes:

I like mushrooms both when they make me hallucinate and when they're on my plate next to the baked beans and fried eggs, so by the same token I think I'd drink beer whether or not it was alcoholic. For me it's more of a culinary experience than a means to a altered state of mind.
Furthermore, I drank a non alcoholic hefeweizen with lunch today, so I don't think I'm all that hung up on alcohol.

...but having said that getting drunk can be loads of fun.

not that i dont enjoy a good beer for the taste. its just like telling a funny joke without the punch line
joe

I can never tell a good joke. Why is that? Why are some people great at telling jokes and some aren't?

The question asked was, would you drink it if it tasted EXACTLY the same.

The answer from me is a resounding yes. I could also then enjoy sharing my endeavours with my wife who is tea total.
As much as i like the effects of alcohol, there are many occasions I'd be far happier if the alcohol was zero.

I've managed to get a brew down to 2.3% & still taste good, but feel this is about my limit in the real world.

Cheers Ross

I absolutely love the bigger maltier beers.

Give me a dopelbock, RIS, barleywine, Belgian strong ale any day.

But saying that I am constantly frustrated by the effect of the alcohol and won't really be to fussed if it was not part of the experience.

That first little buzz is ok, but that slide on down to incoherent mindlessness for me is really not that welcome.

ok, here's a philosophical type question for all you guys... wait for it...

if beer was not alcoholic, would you still drink it? assuming that it tasted exactly the same as it does, would you drink beer if yeast did not produce alcohol? i'm not talking about drinking non alcoholic beer over alcoholic beer, i mean that if beer was never made with alcohol, would you still drink it for taste alone?

start the discussion...

Lobby
As long as the premise of the question, as some have suggested, is would I drink it if it still tasted the same, absolutely!
Beer is all about taste for me these days.
Drunkeness is a secondary effect. Not always unwelcome, but secondary nevertheless.

given this is purely theoretical..... assuming you could get every beer taste without alc content then yes I would still drink it. I drink because I like the flavour. I hate ouzo so I dont drink it. I love scotch, beer, tonic water etc etc so I drink it. I love wine, so I buy good and expensive wine. if all i cared about was alc then id buy cheap cask wine. but i enjoy the taste. thats not to say i dont have quaffing wine that i drink when i want the taste of wine as well as the alc effect :)

does the fact that its alcohilic influence my drink of choice? well yes, cause it my drug of choice. alc is a legal drug. we are addicated to it to some degree (hey im being honest). yes I like the buzz that I get from liquor as well as the taste. so is beer was non alc but tasted the same, I'd still drink it but id also drink something with alc.

in reality i dont think you can make non alc beer (or other non alc beveredges) taste like thier alc counterparts. the alc provides certain characteristics that cant be replicated without it, and afterall its about taste (if it wasnt we''d all drink megaswill!!)

As the monks of yesteryear would have told you.

Making beer is about making a safe fluid upon which you could live on in times of pestulence (so long as you chill quickly and pitch mostly yeast)

cheers

Darren

especially since the ACCIDENT ?

Thanks for reminding me about that <_<
Just stay away from scooters after I have had a few now.

Latest posts

Back