Philosophical Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobsta

Reaction score
ok, here's a philosophical type question for all you guys... wait for it...

if beer was not alcoholic, would you still drink it? assuming that it tasted exactly the same as it does, would you drink beer if yeast did not produce alcohol? i'm not talking about drinking non alcoholic beer over alcoholic beer, i mean that if beer was never made with alcohol, would you still drink it for taste alone?

start the discussion...

Lobby

I suppose a lot of people drink soft drink for the sugar high..

Yes I reckon, I would drink it without the alcohol, as it tastes so good, and is not as sweet as the carbonated sugar water.

You know when I was younger I would drink for the effect, not the taste. Taste was Ok but the buzz was better, now I'm a little older (and sufferer of too many hazy mornings I enjoy my beer, and whilst I admit sometimes I enjoy it too much it is rare. So after all these years of brewing (and after recently moving to AG) I would have to say I enjoy the taste.......regardless of the alcohol.....sounds a bit limp....but there you have it.

I don't like coffee, or tea, or coke, or most other fizzy drinks... but beer is different... I very rarely drink enough beer to feel any effect of the alcohol anyway.

Probably not...I like getting a buzz on and then posting under the username 'PistolPatch' ;)

ok, here's a philosophical type question for all you guys... wait for it...

if beer was not alcoholic, would you still drink it? assuming that it tasted exactly the same as it does, would you drink beer if yeast did not produce alcohol? i'm not talking about drinking non alcoholic beer over alcoholic beer, i mean that if beer was never made with alcohol, would you still drink it for taste alone?

start the discussion...

Lobby
Dunno.

Ask me tommorrow...when I'm sober.

As much as I love the taste of beer...

For me, It's the alcohol content in beer that makes it exciting or taboo.

You wouldn't get the same sort of interest if you told people you brewed soft drink.

That and soft drink doesn't help you get laid...

No No No. If beer did not contain alcohol that would be wrong. If as a child you could drink beer you would think it tasted crap and stick to coke solo fanta and all that other soft drink. Beer would fall into this category and well, the sugar hit of the soft drinks would win over beer. When you want to be treated as an adult you move to alcohol because as a kid you are told you can't have it. If beer did not have alcohol it would have never been invented and refined and this forum would not exist to promote a soft drink brewed from grains without artificial colorings and preservatives.

No alcohol in beer. I will drink spirits. :icon_cheers:

Cheers
Ian :chug: :chug: :icon_vomit:

I'd probably still drink it... but no way near as much... and I definitely wouldn't bother to brew my own.

Without the alcohol content it simply wouldn't have the same attraction nor place in society.

I just luv brewing.It just tickles all my creative fancies.The expectations, the anticipation , its all a big buzzzzz.The perfect Pilsner ?
If a DR told me I could not drink alcohol again I would still brew.Back to the question.If beer didnt have alcohol .........I would choose water.I dont drink tea or coffee either.
GB

The physiology of yeast metabolism enables the alteration of molecules responsible for the many flavour compounds in beer. Imagine a hefeweizen without the banana flavour. Can you get the best from a Belgian wit without the influence of higher alcohols?

Alcohol produced by the anaerobic metabolism of saccharides by the yeast interact with fatty acids leading to these compounds.

Philosophically speaking, the yeast would have no purpose for existence, if no alcohol is needed.

WJ

Not likely...
Alcohol is the the social lubrication and I rather consume it in the tastiest fashion.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Beer was originally a way of preserving water and it was the alcohol that performed that process
so if beer didn't have alcohol it would have died out thousands of years ago and we wouldn't know what beer was. :icon_chickcheers:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Beer was originally a way of preserving water and it was the alcohol that performed that process so if beer didn't have alcohol it would have died out thousands of years ago and we wouldn't know what beer was. :icon_chickcheers:

So philosophically of course, if all those years ago alcohol hadn't have saved the water, we'd have no water now. Thank you alcohol :super:

Philosophically, if beer tatsted like beer but wasn't alcoholic is like saying if soft drink didn't have sugar would we all drink it instead of water is like saying St George Illawarra will one day win a premiership .... too much philosophy. :chug:

I would not drink it now as a adult as im sure i would have drank enough as a kid in primary school :)

Ignoring the effect of the alcohol (head aches, embarrassment, high dry cleaning bills), I think the taste - or bite as someone said - is an integral component of what beer tastes/feels like in your mouth and without it, it would be a lesser experience.

I'd be happy if I could brew a lower strength beer that had the same flavour and feel that I am currently failing to create in my stronger brews.

Yes,but not more than a few hundred mls (per day)

I love brewing and drinking the results, but I do like the mellowing effects of the alcohol. So NO I would not drink as much.

Steve

Back