Ph Meters And Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leahy268

Reaction score
A simple question probably for someone else..

Looking at getting a ph sensor.
I notice though that most have temperature ranges of 0-50 or 0-60 at most.
Question is how do they handle being stuck in the hot mash..
Anyone had any melt on them?

Thanks

Warwick

NEVER stick it in the hot mash.....

Measure at room temperature (~25C) by cooling a small sample of the mash in the fridge, and then apply a correction factor (-0.3). I.e. a measurement of 5.6 at room temperature corresponds to approximately 5.3 at mash temp. PH physically changes with temperature, but in a predictable manner

Also ensure you calibrate properly and keep the tip/probe in storage solution. Try and get one with a resolution of 0.01 if you can, although not essential.

I'm super happy with my meter:

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/MW102.html

bought it online for about $130 from the US.

NEVER stick it in the hot mash.....

Measure at room temperature (~25C) by cooling a small sample of the mash in the fridge, and then apply a correction factor (-0.3). I.e. a measurement of 5.6 at room temperature corresponds to approximately 5.3 at mash temp. PH physically changes with temperature, but in a predictable manner

Also ensure you calibrate properly and keep the tip/probe in storage solution. Try and get one with a resolution of 0.01 if you can, although not essential.

I'm super happy with my meter:

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/MW102.html

bought it online for about $130 from the US.

You might also try the local Milwaukee folks -

http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/

Wes

i've got the same one, very happy. it will read up to 70c which is handy. when mashing go with all readings at 50c for consistancys sake.

edit - model mw102

Save your bucks and buy some pH strips.

Cost $20/100, dont need calibration, hot or cold doesnt matter, cant be broken, just as accurate and dont leech chemicals (pH meters are usually coated with 5M KCl or similar)

Contact your local laboratory supplier and ask what range they have. Can usually buy in the "brew" type range.

You can cut them into 1/3rds and essentially get 300/$20 ( leaving plenty to do water, piss, cum, vaginal secretion etc tests) :rolleyes:

I work in a molecular biology lab and have not used a pH meter for more than 10 years due to these effective, cheap and simple little strips.

I should also add that once you have your system up and running, you will only need to check pH once or twice before the pH meter goes into storage.

Now, if you have more money than sense, buy one. :wacko:

cheers

tnd

I think I got a bottle of 50/100 for about 5-6 bucks, posted off eBay from this US shop. Linked some to a mate who got them too and they are thin plastic strips with a little ph detector pad at one end.

Yeah, I intentionally over-estimated the price. Cheap at $20 and a bargain at $6

tnd

I think I got a bottle of 50/100 for about 5-6 bucks, posted off eBay from this US shop. Linked some to a mate who got them too and they are thin plastic strips with a little ph detector pad at one end.

What was your experience with them?

tnd

pH strips are great except when you use your starsan syringe to drop wort on them and wonder why your mash is about 3.1.

Yes I did this last weekend. I didn't twig until, when after the third strip, I squirted some of the wort in my mouth and thought '**** that's sour'

Save your bucks and buy some pH strips.

Cost $20/100, dont need calibration, hot or cold doesnt matter, cant be broken, just as accurate and dont leech chemicals (pH meters are usually coated with 5M KCl or similar)

Contact your local laboratory supplier and ask what range they have. Can usually buy in the "brew" type range.

You can cut them into 1/3rds and essentially get 300/$20 ( leaving plenty to do water, piss, cum, vaginal secretion etc tests) :rolleyes:

I work in a molecular biology lab and have not used a pH meter for more than 10 years due to these effective, cheap and simple little strips.

I should also add that once you have your system up and running, you will only need to check pH once or twice before the pH meter goes into storage.

Now, if you have more money than sense, buy one. :wacko:

cheers

tnd

Glad you mentioned this TND, was just looking into test strips today and was going to pose the question.

Needless to say, efficacy proven.

I worked in food labs for years and got mighty sick of cleaning and calibrating pH meters to ensure they were accurate.

What was your experience with them?

tnd
Pretty good.
I've tested them loosely in plain water, saliva, starsan, wort, used in wort then washed and used to test something acidic like starsan. No calibrated tests but they seem to be quite stable as in give results in the right expected range even on double use of a single strip. Some day I'll be arsed enough to check them properly but so far so good.

you guys got an example brand for strips?

When I first started AG I had some paper type strips, but they were hard to read, inconsistent and all in all a bit of a pita.

I got a moderately priced hand held pH meter (from craftbrewer) which has performed admirably for a couple of years and come close to matching the (not moderately priced nor handheld) meters at work when i have compared them... but the battery has gone flat, and the tip probably needs replacing and well.... that shit doesn't happen with strips - if only i knew which ones weren't shitty.

I liked the ones from G&G, also available from proscitech, cheaper but in bulk.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Acid-Test-Paper...2#ht_6891wt_689

eBay seller: the-bruhaus

I've seen the same strips on sale on eBay from another store in a wider ph range and I think I also saw them on some online scientific supply shop's catalogue, but this was some months ago when trying to track down another packet for my friend.

Good bit about plastic backed strips is pretty obvious :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Acid-Test-Paper...2#ht_6891wt_689

eBay seller: the-bruhaus

I've seen the same strips on sale on eBay from another store in a wider ph range and I think I also saw them on some online scientific supply shop's catalogue, but this was some months ago when trying to track down another packet for my friend.

Good bit about plastic backed strips is pretty obvious :)

I have a scientific supplies catalogue at home for supplying school science labs.

Will investigate further...I may need to buy a carton?? So will palm some off if it is worth the trouble

Latest posts

Back