Perth Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be throwing together a plate of some nice cheeses, crackers, spiced pear paste and gherkins!

DSC02168.JPG

The Biab Godfather about to mash out?

guys,

I hope it all went well, sorry we couldn't hang around but Avril was quite unwell (and threw up once we got home!)

Cheers,

Jason.

guys,

I hope it all went well, sorry we couldn't hang around but Avril was quite unwell (and threw up once we got home!)

Cheers,

Jason.

What are you trying to say Jase, that Pats cooking was that bad.. :p

Rook

it was either pat's cooking or the fluorescent yellow white wine Avril had the night before :)

It was great to met you guys..

And thank you Pat for having us all around. I hope we didnt annoy your neighbours to much.

Katie

Well Saturday has been and gone and what a great day it was.

Amita and Wally, thanks for picking Skippy and myself up from Nth Freo train station and i THINK it was Wally who dropped us back there :p

There were to many people there to thank everyone but the main man does need to be thanked. Pistol, thanks for putting on a fantastic day, fantastic beer and fantastic food and i give you 2 weeks before your knocking on the door of the new woman that has moved in next door to you, your stupid if you dont :D

I got to see the BIAB happen for the first time and for any newbies out there its an easy way to get started, Randy Rob bought his Mash Tun with him just in case he could sway Pat. Amita brewed his first A.G a Kolsch and young H done an APA.

Thanks Guys and Gals, for a great time.

Now for the Vic Xmas swap next saturday.

Rook

Well that was a big day! A 1am finish!

What a pleasure to meet all the new troops and some older faces.

And what a generous lot! I lost track of who brought what but I know we had venison sausages from Amita and Wally, cheeses and God knows what else from Katie and Lloyd, tons of oven snacks from Pato, hand-made sausages from MaltyCultural, maybe more cheese from skippy and I know I have missed heaps of you other guys. I reckon I used about a sixth of the food I had bought. And thanks for washing up Amita, Wally, Katie and Lloyd. My place looked only like a small bomb hit it on Sunday morning.

I also had a really relaxing day especially with you guys looking after yourselves so well. I didn't have to go near the barbecue once!

We had a vote later in the night and reckon that MaltyCultural had the best beer of the day. Good on ya mate! Beautiful!

Hats off to to those of you that travelled so far on the day - top effort Pato! (And thanks for all the food mate) And of course amita and Wally came all the way from Margarets and therook from Victoria!

As for the next door neighbour, I did wake up the next morning thinking that I had pashed someone but I'm counting on that being a dream :eek: And whilst the next door neighbour and Katie danced together, you'll be pleased to hear that Lloyd and I did not. We drank beer ;)

And who was last to leave?

I found old Bluey flat out like a lizard drinking on Sunday afternoon. Here's a pic...

Bluey's getting a bit overly-friendly I reckon. Last time I brewed I felt something on my toe. Bluey was licking it! I felt the same thing late Saturday night but that was probably the next door neighbour ;)

Absolute pleasure to meet/see you all even though I think I have no beer left now!

I'm going back to bed now....
Pat the DJ

P.S's. Look forward to that beer later in the week rook. uneekwahn, hope Avril is feeling better today. At least you got a few hours in mate. Katie, luckily another neighbour was playing up that night and his music was lousy so no, I didn't get into trouble - all good fun! randyrob, we need more pics! I think Harry will have some actually.

Pat,

I went on a winery tour on Sunday up the Swan River and then we were transfered onto a bus and ended up at a Microbrewery called Elmers. They had an ALT beer on Tap and it was very similar to your keg of Alt which we drank dry.

Bloody nice beer that one.

Rook

Thanks for a great day Pat. I hope your four dozen sausages freeze well.

What a top crowd of people! It was great to finally put faces to names.

I slept all day. Sounds like I missed out on a good time.

What a pleasure to meet all the new troops and some older faces.

well what can I say, thanks Pat for being so generous with your energy! such a good host, almost felt like a country welcome!!cheers.
the day was great for wally and myself,just so good to see the famous BIAB in action.hands on- beats reading about by a mile!.
it has given me plenty to think about and generated exitement to go and change my brewing ways and play in the shed :D
it was liberating to meet( very nice :party: ) people who have a passion for beer( and drinking beer) without judgement and to share our stories of wins and failures. its so interesting that everybody has a different approach and what they want to get out of brewing.
Most of us would have gone the hard way of learning by doing and are not ashamed of sharing that.
thanks everybody for making us feel welcome, hope I can return the favour one day.
wil keep everybody posted when I am ready to continue my BIAB brewing,

btw wally made it home safely by 23.45

cheers amita

Thanks for the great day guys and girls it was good to put faces to online names (I think I had the longest name tag).
Pat - great host, although I didn't bring any food so no need to thank me.
Thanks for the excellent beer everyone.
Hope to see you all again for something similiar
Pato :p

Here's a little ad for ChillaMagilla's Friday Drinks in Perth. Check out this thread

I know there were a few troops that couldn't make last Saturday and who haven't met any AHBrs before. If you work in town or can make it in there then keep an eye on the above thread.

If any Freo troops are going, please let me know and we can share some public transport in and maybe a taxi back. I don't reckon I'll make it unless a few Freo troops are going - too hard on transport. If there are four then I'm in.

The thread mentioned an early finish but I doubt that is a necessity :p

End of Ad...

Whoops Pato! Yep, I gave you extra credit for food but mate you did travel a long, long way and that was most impressive.

I must admit that the hardest part of the day was the beginning. I was rapidly multi-tasking - which I established previously that I have no skills at.

So much food came in the door at once that I panicked! "How on earth could I possibly remember who brought what?" "How am I going to remember to thank so and so?" (Skippy - was that you who did ALL the oven gear plus more?)

Simultaneously, I also had the panic on names because half of you I knew as your AHB names and half I had two names for and some I only had real names. And there were others I knew not on the forum that I had promised to remind of the day but actually forgot to. Whoops!

Kook will testify as to my confusion - lol! Anyway, my mind was going a hundred miles an hour early in the day but thankfully slowed to one or two later on. Though I may have become confused on details of who brought what, no one could deny that all attendees left a great impression. My only dissapointment is not having the chance to have a proper chat with everyone on the day.

amita has a plan though I have heard ;)

Meanwhile,

therook: Yep, we did drink the Alt dry and the pale ale and the amarillo ale and all but 1/5 of the Schwartz! The two dodgy beers (the ones with the yeast problem) I threw out today so, that beer fridge with 6 kegs, now has 3 litres of beer! I brewed today and have one nearly done so supplies will be a third-full soon! (The next door neighbour brought me a six-pack of Coopers Pale Ale tonight as a thank you. Still not sure what she was thanking me for :blink:) Can't believe you posted that you went to a winery the day after a PP brew day. Shame on you - lol!

kai: Should a few of us head up from here to Perth on Friday or will you be having a sleep? Shame on you too - lol!

amita: Congrats on your first AG!!! Hope it all seemed simple. Will send the recipe tomorrow. (I brewed the same this arvo.)

Hopefully we'll see a good crowd on Friday.

All the best,
Pat

Great stuff Pat :) . I wished I could have been around for longer. Rook, it was great to finally put a face to the name as it was to the rest of the WA crew :) .
Cheers
Doug

Nice to meet fellow AHB homebrewers from all over Perth (at various different levels in brewing expertise - Im on the bottom!), and a few guests from Marg's and Interstate,

What a great bunch!

Thanks Pistol Patch for putting your house and kegs up to be enjoyed by the punters, really appreciated it as I'm sure everybody did.

P.S. I brought sausy rolls/asian stuff (the only cheese i brought was my jokes)

P.S.S. Tell us when your next BrewDay is an Ill bring a keg!

We had a vote later in the night and reckon that MaltyCultural had the best beer of the day. Good on ya mate! Beautiful!

I'm glad it went down so well, but credit where it's due - I used NRB's Amarillo Ale recipe straight out of the BIAB guide. I did, however, add my own secret ingredient - 50,000 mistakes!

Good thing I took notes..........

Avril's definately feeling better, although she's still not keen on drinking and it's been half a week since the offending wine caused her grief !

thanks to all for the chats while we were there, I just wish we could have stuck around longer to learn as I'm just in the process of purchasing goodies to do my first AG (and I'll be organising a brew day early next year as well!) and really wanted to watch and learn !

Cheers,

Jason.

p.s I bought the maggie beer quince paste (bloody woolies were out of her spiced pear paste!) and some cheeses too, although I was definately outdone by the spring roles and curry puffs! *makes a mental note for the next brew day*

Jason the quince paste was devine and went perfectly with the cheeses I brought. (The pear paste sounds interesting will look out for that one). I know how Avril feels I have not touched a beer since 1am Sunday morning (thanks Pat)... and that is rare for me. I think I may possibly be up for a beer tonight if not tommorow.

Lost Property

I have a Black Rock cooler bag here. Let me know whose it is and I'll keep it aside.

Other Stuff

Doogie - Always tops to see Doogie but it certainly would have been better if you could have snuck out for a little longer! Thanks for sourcing that brilliant tap mate! Probably over 80 litres went through it on Saturday. WT?

Skippy - Sorry for getting mixed up on the snacks. Thanks a heap for not only bringing them but organising them. Easiest brew day ever for a host! I think I kept getting you and Pato mixed up because I was impressed equally by the amount of effort you guys put in to travel here or with what you brought along. Skippy you have enough credit to not have to bring anything for the next ten brew days ;) Would love a taste of your beer though!

Malty - LOL! As mentioned in PM, my hop shedule is reversed (originally through accident) on NRB's beautiful All Amarillo Ale. I'll do a side by side on that soon with my hop schedule and the correct one. We all would love to know your 50,000 errors. They must have been all excellent accidents.

Jason - Glad to hear Avril has mended. If you do want to watch a brew or even make one here, we can organise that as long as you can keep Avril under control the night before ;) I have a whole fridge to fill now so let me know if you want a return visit. I've still got some of your cheeses in the fridge and very generous of you to bring Maggie Beer along. (My goodness! For the first time ever I have noticed that Maggie's surname is, ''beer''!!!)

Katie - Well there always have to be a few of us brewers who are last to leave! Couldn't have asked for better company to finish off a great day. Your beer was totally impressive as well. There was no kit twang at all in your cleverly crafted brew. From memory, you added a hint of chilli (which I usually hate in beer) and something else. That was a beautifully balanced and very interesting and quaffable beer. I'd actually have to say it was the best kit beer I have tasted. I might be wrong on that as my palate gets all mixed up pretty quickly. If you can save me a bottle, I'd really like to taste that one on a clean palate.

On the beers side of things, I actually can't recall one dud beer except for the two of mine I kept on tap which hopefully, education-wise, most of you were given a sample of. For me, that's the problem with brew days. Many beautiful beers are presented but do not get the attention they deserve. Next time I'm taking notes!

And for those of you wondering what that little syringe was for on the dresser, I recently brought the Craftbrewer hop oils. I did mean to give everyone a taste of the different oils but I couldn't find a sufficiently bland beer on the day that would have made the experiment worthwhile. Maybe I can bring them to Jason's brew day!

Another nice short post from me ;)
Pat

P.S. Amita is working hard on his idea by the look of things. I better go and have a read of what he's come up with. Looks like he has come up with a lot :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back