Persistant Foaming Issue with Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Futur

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This site has been such a fantastic resource for me so far and this is going to be my first post :)

I've recently built my own keezer setup with two taps. I've run a few lagers through this setup without issue but the wheat beer I've done which needs 4 vols of CO2 has caused me so much heartache, wasted CO2 and worst of all, wasted beer!

I cannot for the life of me get my keg to not pour foam. I've got three corny kegs with digital temperature control and two taps mounted into a wooden collar.

I've tried beer lines varying from 1-7m long (5mm ID line) with a pouring pressure varying between 0-40psi to try and get a decent pour. I force carbed the kegs at ~26PSI to get the required 4 vols of CO2.
I've checked my temperatures in the freezer and they all check out (at 2.5C)
I've tried both taps with the same result.
I've tried both regulator outputs (I have a dual reg).

I really don't know what else to try and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as this is just driving me nuts!! Please help! :)
WUh1LA0.jpg

Lots of protein. What were the weights of wheat (malt or grain), the whole grist, and DME and sugar if any? Did you cold crash nefore kegging?

What about pouring at lowest slowest pressure. First glass may be froth, second better, third just right.
Or just settle for as much carb as you can get. Or large heads. Hardly professional...

I have 3 kegs different Ale styles and carb volume preferences from one regulator. An impossible scenario for correct Carbonation levels but, yeah. When one gets too much head just disconnect its gas.
Depressurize if overcharged, or just keep pouring not connected to gas until its right then just reconnect at ~5psi.
It pours slower but eh.
If your new to kegging you might be over correcting. Like many.
Otherwise more technical knowledge in need. :chug:

Danscraftbeer said:
What about pouring at lowest slowest pressure. First glass may be froth, second better, third just right.
Or just settle for as much carb as you can get. Or large heads. Hardly professional...

I have 3 kegs different Ale styles when one gets too much head just disconnect gas. Depressurize if overcharged, or just
keep pouring not connected to gas.
I've tried pouring at lower pressures (0-10psi) with varying line lengths and it was the best, but very slow flow rate - essentially a bit more than a dribble. I might just have to carb the wheat at a lower level and live with it unless I find a solution.

Would the pick up tube have anything to do with this? I'm relatively new to kegging and notice that they're jammed into the bottom of the keg essentially.

Yes! pity someone didn't tip you to trim it a touch. Restriction and turbulence is the enemy.
I trimmed all mine so they are ~ 10mm clear off the bottom.
It could definitely help plus you get clearer beer if there is any settled sediment.

professional_drunk said:
I had the same problem. See http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/81606-tap-foaming-weizen/

I gave up and just bottle the wheat beers. What tap you using?
Hey, check this out http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=177259 - Epoxy mixer sticks apparently fixed his wheat foaming issue, might be worth a shot!

I was aware of the epoxy mixer sticks and I think I'm going to try them next hef I brew. Craftbrewer sell them 2x12.5cm for $3.50 https://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4390

Never understood why wheat needs to be 4 vol but in a home keg system I'd guess overcarbed.
Try one at 2 vol force carbed and another just carbed over the time it takes to get to 2 and see if that's any different.

manticle said:
Never understood why wheat needs to be 4 vol but in a home keg system I'd guess overcarbed.
Try one at 2 vol force carbed and another just carbed over the time it takes to get to 2 and see if that's any different.
If I carbed a wheat at 2vols wouldn't it be largely out of style???

Whose style? No wheat beer I've tried tasted close to twice as fizzy as a vienna lager.
Nonetheless, the point that I'm making is that it's the simplest explanation that is likely true.

1. Your wheat beers are foaming.
2. Only your wheat beers are foaming (presumably).
3. Overcarbing is a common cause of foaming.
4. You are carbing your wheats at a much higher level than other beers (presumably)

Therefore, your high level may be resulting in overcarbed beer. Eliminate the possibility.

Forget style guidelines. Foaming beer isn't part of any style anyway. Get the beer pouring right, then work out any extra fizz if you feel the need.

One question mark says the same as three but more economically.

When I was in Bavaria the wheat beers were poured into those tall weizen glasses, they had about 2.5" of head from start to finish, very fizzy. I have been looking at adding an extra regulator but did not want to mess with changing beer lines when serving a lager/weizen, I LOVE the idea of these from Craftbrewer, thanks for linking it!

Back