Perhaps A Stupid Question But...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowers

Reaction score
So I'm probably going to bite the bullet and go all grain. Been brewing fresh wort kits for a while now - no qualms with the quality at all, just wouldnt mind some control over the specifics.

I'll be doing BIAB with no chill, and im reasonably confident I have a handle on all the processes involved... maybe...

Anyway, I just had one question. Without a tap on the boiling pot, how on earth do you guys get the hot wort from the pot to the no chill cube?! I am of the understanding that just pouring it in (heavy pot, would need a big funnel to stop spilling) would create hot side aeration? Kind of scared to siphon it... don't want a mouthful of boiling wort...

So I'm probably going to bite the bullet and go all grain. Been brewing fresh wort kits for a while now - no qualms with the quality at all, just wouldnt mind some control over the specifics.

I'll be doing BIAB with no chill, and im reasonably confident I have a handle on all the processes involved... maybe...

Anyway, I just had one question. Without a tap on the boiling pot, how on earth do you guys get the hot wort from the pot to the no chill cube?! I am of the understanding that just pouring it in (heavy pot, would need a big funnel to stop spilling) would create hot side aeration? Kind of scared to siphon it... don't want a mouthful of boiling wort...
Check out site sponsors for their weldless fittings, if not a visit to your local plumbing wholesalers might give you some ideas :icon_chickcheers:

get some silicon hose fill it full of water with a sanitised hand put your thumb over the ends. take your thumb off one end and put it into the pot take finger off the other end and put it into the cube and let gravity do the work for you.

Of coarse the cube has to be lower then the pot but I am sure you knew that already :p. Where a leather glove as boiling wort going threw the tube gets a bit hot to hold.

You can easily siphon using silicone hose. If you want to get tech you could use a SS racking cane too.

Boil water in a second pot. Drop the hose in there. When the hose is sanitized, just lift one end of the hose into the wort and the other into the cube. Use tongs. Use a longish hose so ther is enough liquid in there to start a siphon.

Man, you folk have thought of everything. :mellow:

Actually I sometimes just use a sanitised jug when I couldn't be bothered syphoning, you get more trub than if you whirlpool and syphon, but i've found it to be ok if you sieve through a stocking/hopsack etc.

SS racking cane and 2m of silicon hose does the job. You can purchase a 1 way valve for your siphon that lets you start it by jiggling the hose in the pot.

Or you can fill it full of water/sanitiser and let that drain out to start the siphon. But I found that was a lot of ******* around and needed an extra pair of hands to get it working.

You'll probably want to upgrade to a ball valve eventually though, siphoning can be a real PITA. It's as easy as drilling a hole in the pot and screwing some fittings together.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?

If you want a hand fitting a tap (I have required tools, step bit etc) send me a PM and we can arrange something.

You'll probably want to upgrade to a ball valve eventually though, siphoning
can be a real PITA. It's as easy as drilling a hole in the pot and screwing some
fittings together.
And right now, this ebayer probably has a bucket load (see) of 1/2 316 stainless
steel 3 piece valves for $17 each with "free" delivery - that's top notch stuff for
2/3 to 1/2 of usual prices.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/chelseajane68/m...p;_trksid=p3686

T.

Having good siphoning skills on hand is never a bad thing ;)

I found the hold thumb over end of hose thing a bit awkward too, hence the 'coil longer hose in boiling water' trick. As long as the pot of water is at the same level or a little lower than the kettle, the siphon will work, it will all be sanitary & you will only need one pair of hands.

Found the trick as I was sanitising some 4mm silicon hose in my kitchen kettle to use for siphoning off wort from top of a jar where I put the break from the last brew. I simply put one end into the jar and the other into the flask (lower, in sink) and the wort started flowing beautifully. No syringes, thumbs over hot water filled hose etc needed.

It's like putting a length of hose in a trough and lifting an end out and dropping it to the floor. Voila! Siphon.

just bought a few myself at that price

+2

I also like the SS jiggler syphon Neville at Gryphon Brewing sells.
I know I'll stuff something up, so I keep a bunch of backup plans handy ;)

+2

I also like the SS jiggler syphon Neville at Gryphon Brewing sells.
I know I'll stuff something up, so I keep a bunch of backup plans handy ;)

Me too.
This guy's gonna run out of taps at this rate.

I like the suggestion with the second pot of boiling water. Seems very straight forward....

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Top stuff...

SS jiggler is the way I went and it is fantastic. Unless you want to start putting holes into your pot etc and fit a tap. I bought a jiggler from G and G for my first nochill and havent looked back. It is easy to use and hasnt presented any problems for me.

I grabbed one of those taps too.
I always worry about accidently emptying my urn with the tap fitted to it..

Can someone link me to this so called "Jiggler"? Having trouble finding it on the sponsors websites...

The tap looks good, but maybe a bit expensive all up...

Ss jiggler and heavy duty 1/2" silicon tubing from gryphonbrewing.com.au

Nev needs to open his shop back up so we can buy these essentials again ;)

Latest posts

Back