Percolator Hop Tea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insane_rosenberg

Reaction score
So I was reading last night about using a hop tea into the fermenter as a means of counteracting the bitterness and flavour variations experienced using no-chill (linky). I was horrified to hear that DrSmurto's Golden Ale does not go well through the no-chill process, as this is my next brew and is supposed to be impressing rellos over the summer!

So I figured I'd give the french press/plunger hop tea method a go, only problem is I don't have one. So as I was making my percolator coffee thismorning the "little light bulb" came on. I could just use the percolator! I picture this as being more akin to a hop back process.

Has anyone been doing this? Anyone see any issues (other than SWMBO complaining of hop flavoured coffee)?

Give it a shot. Report results.

Have you got a kettle, a bowl and a strainer?

You could steep your hops in a bowl of boiling water for the time period and strain it into the brew.

Shane,

i've done this using a drip filter coffee machine. Put the water in the unit, hops in the container, turn it on, too easy.

I have a machine that takes the coffee bags to support the beans, and you would think this would be a PITA as opposed to just throwing them into a "basket" type arrangement. But, it means that when i have my hop tea finished, i lift out the bag, and all is done. Run some hot water through it to get rid of the smell for the next coffee usage and bobs your uncle.
Just recently, i found a machine on special at K Mart i reckon for about $15. Now i have a dedicated unit for the job that doesn't get used for coffee and vice versa.

Works well.

Nath

I've done this - had a beer in the keg that I wanted to add a bit more hop aroma to. Put about 15g of B Saaz flowers in the coffee pot (packed full) and ran it through. I think it added a bit but I haven't done the side by side with a bottle that didn't have the extra hops yet (and not sure if I have any bottles left...).

Thanks guys, I'll definitely give it a try. At the moment I'm thinking I'll stick to the quantities in the recipe. Hopefully it doesn't come in too bitter!

I will report in a few weeks. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back