Pebble Bed Mashtun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebba

Reaction score
I bought this a 40lt techni ice esky about 3 months back, and haven't used it for a mash yet because I've been too lazy about getting a false bottom. Today I thought "enough is enough!", and decided to try something I saw fellow AHB'er SpillsMostOfIt do (here) and use a pebble bed instead. There's some photos below.

The brew was the smoothest AG brew I've done yet. I've been doing a bastardised BIAB sort of method with 2 small kettles and a whole heap of stuffing around to get volumes, and this was just so darn easy. I should note that true BIAB is easy peasy, but I've only got small pots so do a few dunk sparges and stuff an boil across 2 pots so that I have enouhg to fill the cube. Anyway.

So the technique? Get some stones/pebbles (I used round ornamental stones cause I had some handy), some swiss voile ($2/metre @ spotlight today - seriously, $2 a metre... crazy). Lay the stones on the bottom of the esky, then line the esky with the swiss voile. Chuck in the grain, chuck in the strike water, and away you go!

So, what problems did I have? Not many, and they were the sort of problems ANYONE would get with almost any system they were using for the first time.
- Mis-calculated the deadspace created by the stones, so the mash was initially a tad thick. Although I was also using Golden Promise which seems to have a small reputation for dough balls. No harm done - add some more water and Bob's your mothers brother.
- Forgot to heat the stones before mash-in, and they sucked about a degree out of the mash temperature. I did heat the esky, forgot the stones. Rookie error, no harm done. I won't lose sleep cause it mashed @ 66 instead of 67

IMG_0416.JPGLined esky

IMG_0419.JPGPebbles. This was post mash. Shoulda taken a photo before...

Ended up getting a respectable 74% efficiency into the cube (17l @ 1.062), which is my highest efficiency to date by a mile (prior was around 65%).

The only negative is washing the stones. But some sodium perc makes that a breeze.

So the question now becomes - why would I bother with a proper false bottom or manifold? This REALLY worked well. I got every last drop out of the mashtun, recirc was probably unecessary (but I did it anyway), the sparge could not have gone any smoother, and dough in was rough as guts 'cause I didn't have to worry about dislodging a falsie and getting grain underneath it. The effiency was more than respectible for a first effort, and there were a couple of things I could have done better to wring some more sugaz out that had nothing to do with the pebblebed design.

So let's hear it people - am I missing something that makes this a ridiculous way to manage a mashtun? Cause this seems like a damn fine way to brew!

I'm thinking that the pebbles would have been redundant after you filtered through the swiss voile. There's an old thread somewhere around using a gravel bed - no swiss voile involved

cheers

grant

My immediate question would be - if you're using a swiss voile bag why do you need the rocks at all? Is it just to raise the bag higher from the bottom of the tun? What is the benefit here?

Serious questions above. Some of us seem a little touchy lately and I just want to make it clear my questions are out of genuine interest rather than trying to criticise your method.

thats how i used to brew before I finally put together my mash tun.
Line the esky, mash, then just pull the bag out and drain.

I didn't use pebbles though! Not sure what they add to the process?

A fellow brewer on here (he can name himself if he wants to) tried using just a voile liner, and had all sorts of troubles. The water runs off down the sides, not through the mash, the outlet got clogged and he had to keep lifting the voile to keep it flowing, etc. He hated every second of it (well, as much as you can hate brewing that is).

That very much looks my own kitchen, even down to the flooring. When did you do this?
Lol! Today. The home's a Simonds I believe. See pic below. Note: Missus is away for weekend, hense state of kitchen ;)

IMG_0422.JPG
Index:
1. Compulsory brew day beer drinking vessel
2. Plumbing tools
3. No cane sugar was used in this brew. See note about missus' absense above
4. HLT and kettle #2
5. Kettle #1
6. Tier 2 of brewery (aka, chair)

(supplementary note: funny shadow at bottom of shot represents oversized lens to comensate for undersized... flash. Yeah

I bought this a 40lt techni ice esky about 3 months back, and haven't used it for a mash yet because I've been too lazy about getting a false bottom. Today I thought "enough is enough!", and decided to try something I saw fellow AHB'er SpillsMostOfIt do (here) and use a pebble bed instead. There's some photos below.

The brew was the smoothest AG brew I've done yet. I've been doing a bastardised BIAB sort of method with 2 small kettles and a whole heap of stuffing around to get volumes, and this was just so darn easy. I should note that true BIAB is easy peasy, but I've only got small pots so do a few dunk sparges and stuff an boil across 2 pots so that I have enouhg to fill the cube. Anyway.

So the technique? Get some stones/pebbles (I used round ornamental stones cause I had some handy), some swiss voile ($2/metre @ spotlight today - seriously, $2 a metre... crazy). Lay the stones on the bottom of the esky, then line the esky with the swiss voile. Chuck in the grain, chuck in the strike water, and away you go!

So, what problems did I have? Not many, and they were the sort of problems ANYONE would get with almost any system they were using for the first time.
- Mis-calculated the deadspace created by the stones, so the mash was initially a tad thick. Although I was also using Golden Promise which seems to have a small reputation for dough balls. No harm done - add some more water and Bob's your mothers brother.
- Forgot to heat the stones before mash-in, and they sucked about a degree out of the mash temperature. I did heat the esky, forgot the stones. Rookie error, no harm done. I won't lose sleep cause it mashed @ 66 instead of 67

View attachment 39306Lined esky

View attachment 39307Pebbles. This was post mash. Shoulda taken a photo before...

Ended up getting a respectable 74% efficiency into the cube (17l @ 1.062), which is my highest efficiency to date by a mile (prior was around 65%).

The only negative is washing the stones. But some sodium perc makes that a breeze.

So the question now becomes - why would I bother with a proper false bottom or manifold? This REALLY worked well. I got every last drop out of the mashtun, recirc was probably unecessary (but I did it anyway), the sparge could not have gone any smoother, and dough in was rough as guts 'cause I didn't have to worry about dislodging a falsie and getting grain underneath it. The effiency was more than respectible for a first effort, and there were a couple of things I could have done better to wring some more sugaz out that had nothing to do with the pebblebed design.

So let's hear it people - am I missing something that makes this a ridiculous way to manage a mashtun? Cause this seems like a damn fine way to brew!

Great Zebba you have done a good job nice to see ideas in action .

Pumpy :)

Pumpy..... you have rocks in your head :)

Hah! I search for "stones", "rocks" and "pebbles". Missed gravel!

It's way back in the achieves Zebba but one we like to see raise it's head now and then. It made Pumpy a legend back then, with a bit of work you could be up there too ! ;)

Batz

I'm waiting for someone to use crusher dust B)

I was waiting for the " Pumpy " method to make an appearance :lol:

Love the inovation, pumpy's too! Sanitation seems the only worry for me. Plus it's really simple installing a braided hose, I'm still using mine in the old esky and it's doing a great job. I still love your idea though, seems very old school...Neolithic? Creative solution :)

Obviously it's going to work; the advantage of having a coarse filter under the bag is highlighted by the problems with flow through the mash and with the bag blocking the outlet mentioned above.

The only down side that comes to mind would be the amount of heat and the time it takes to heat the rocks, preheating them to mash temp might be a good idea.

Love the inovation, pumpy's too! Sanitation seems the only worry for me. Plus it's really simple installing a braided hose, I'm still using mine in the old esky and it's doing a great job. I still love your idea though, seems very old school...Neolithic? Creative solution :)

From the mash tun to the kettle so sterilising.........

MHB

It really was the team of guys on that brew day That refined the concept ,however it never really became the standard architecture for false bottom design ,so the royalties never really flowed, I think there was a whole heap of fun gained by everyone. Piling tripe on me :(
Pumpy

Back