Pbw Replacement For Stainless Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested in 3kgs if a BB goes ahead provided it can be posted to Newcastle

Without getting into bulk buys or replaements... The easiest way to save money on your PBS is to re-use it. Like all alkaline cleaners, PBS isn't fi iced once it's done.

For instance, here at work, the caustic is recycled again and again from the CIP system. Rinse first to get rid of the chunky loose soil, CIP, then final rinse. That CIP part doesn't go to drain, it goes back to a tank and gets re-used.

All that happens is that soil is allowed to settle out in a tank, and when the strength weakens, it is topped up with extra NaOH. Replaced completely every now and again.

Same thing with PBW. I keep a 20L container pre-made up at CIP strength... Use it, then pour it through a straining funnel back into the cube. Anyothing that makes it through the strainer settles out below the tap in the cube. If I'm using any more than a litter or so, I chuck in a tablespoon of extra pbw powder in to top up the strength.

Since I started recycling... My pbw usage is down to about 10-20% of what it was when I was using it as a one shot.

TB

Recycling PBW... Thanks TB will be implementing this from now on.
Cheers

Not saying the BB would be false economy (note the "IF" in larger text) & quite happy to put my name down for 3Kg of PBW if CraftBrewer's reply to my enquiry does not turn out as hoped & the BB goes ahead.

TP

Lets do it Pete, I'll give you a hand to split it up.

Batz

I'd be in also if it can get to Melbourne, or the Vic boys wanted to run one.....

Cheers.

Dean

Ok we can get 22.7 kg @ $10.00 per kilo from Ross ( nice one Ross :beerbang: ) much appreciated !

I'll do a quick bulk buy here, only five of us, 4.50kg lots $46.00, plus the price of a cheap bucket to put it in.

I'm way off the mark here with bulk buys so I'll start a thread in the 'bulk buys' if your interested.

Batz

I know this is an old thread, but came across it while searching for PBW/caustic and found this idea.
Without getting into bulk buys or replaements... The easiest way to save money on your PBS is to re-use it. Like all alkaline cleaners, PBS isn't fi iced once it's done.
Same thing with PBW. I keep a 20L container pre-made up at CIP strength... Use it, then pour it through a straining funnel back into the cube. Anyothing that makes it through the strainer settles out below the tap in the cube. If I'm using any more than a litter or so, I chuck in a tablespoon of extra pbw powder in to top up the strength.
My understanding is that PBW's main ingredient (Sodium Percarbonate) reacts when dissolved in water, essentially decomposing into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate, the hydrogen peroxide degrades into water and oxygen, but the reaction, decomposition and activity is also what gives sodium percabonate much of its cleaning-power (and sanitation properties) and is the 'active' part promoted in many 'oxy' cleaning products.

Saving left over solution, is a good idea, however by that time it would essentially be washing soda (sodium carbonate), which is a useful cleaning and descaling product, but it's not the same as the 'active cleaning' components of PBW. Washing soda is very cheaply available at the supermarket and could (home-brewers in the UK use it) easily be used as a cheap brewery wash and would be essentially the same as saving PBW.

I know this is an old thread, but came across it while searching for PBW/caustic and found this idea.

My understanding is that PBW's main ingredient (Sodium Percarbonate) reacts when dissolved in water, essentially decomposing into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate, the hydrogen peroxide degrades into water and oxygen, but the reaction, decomposition and activity is also what gives sodium percabonate much of its cleaning-power (and sanitation properties) and is the 'active' part promoted in many 'oxy' cleaning products.

Saving left over solution, is a good idea, however by that time it would essentially be washing soda (sodium carbonate), which is a useful cleaning and descaling product, but it's not the same as the 'active cleaning' components of PBW. Washing soda is very cheaply available at the supermarket and could (home-brewers in the UK use it) easily be used as a cheap brewery wash and would be essentially the same as saving PBW.

yes wolfy, this was also explained during a brewstrong interview with chris from 5 star, he mentioned that the oxygen from the percarbonate is used up in approx 24 hours

I have been using Sod perc regularly and PBW once in a while.
Question ?
Do you guys know why does the PBW seems to remove beer stone where the sod perc doesnt?
Daz

Question ?
Do you guys know why does the PBW seems to remove beer stone where the sod perc doesnt?
Probably due to the other (10 or so according to quote earlier in this thread) chemicals that make PBW - I might have to try and find out which one.

A mate of mine in the wine industry gave me a 5kg pack of "DESTAINEX"[Peroxy-alkaline detergent powder] which is used for stainless cleaning in the wine industry,boy does this clean stainless-[quote:clean & remove wine protien & colour films,mildew,black mould & most organic soils from stainless,concrete & most hard surfaces]ran it through my system and it removed beer stone,stains in lines,made kegs look new even soaked the oven racks in it and the burnt on crud vertually fell off
pack states contains:sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate,carbonate,bicarbonate,propritary solvent suficant,rinse aid.
made by Wine Industry Support Enterprises P/L-airdchemistry.com
dont know if its available to the public but if you can get some you wont regret it ;)

do you think it would remove the staining from silicon hoses ?

pbw doesnt

A mate of mine in the wine industry gave me a 5kg pack of "DESTAINEX" Peroxy-alkaline detergent powder which is used for stainless cleaning in the wine industry,boy does this clean stainless - quote:clean & remove wine protien & colour films,mildew,black mould & most organic soils from stainless,concrete & most hard surfaces ran it through my system and it removed beer stone,stains in lines,made kegs look new even soaked the oven racks in it and the burnt on crud vertually fell off
pack states contains:sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate,carbonate,bicarbonate,propritary solvent suficant,rinse aid.
made by Wine Industry Support Enterprises P/L-airdchemistry.com
dont know if its available to the public but if you can get some you wont regret it ;)

It aint cheap!

http://www.enoltech.com.au/products/aird-c.../destainex.html

You just got given $25ish worth of cleaning product. I wonder if they sell outside of the distributor network.

Don, I just read the technical sheet and all is said was flexible hoses, I can only assume it would remove your stains....

Latest posts

Back