Grainfather cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeyr

" wait.. I had something for this.."
Reaction score
Well after building my 3V double batch herms 5000w system and getting a bunch of 15amp circuits put in ..... we go and move house.

So with a slightly different space for brewing and no 15amp (yet!) decided to give the Grainfather a go.

Had a read through the GF thread, but wondering if i can get some quick advice.

1. Initial clean - I've been using Sodium Perc to clean the Herms system as it's all stainless .... what would be good for cleaning the GF for the first time? Doesn't look all that oily? Detergent rinse and then Perc? or should i get some PBW. I actually have both perc and Metasilicate to hand, a mix? Any issue with using perc on the copper counterflow chiller?

​2. Ongoing cleaning - preferred cleaner? (yes i know about the GF cleaner, but don't have any to hand)

Any other first commissioning tricks i should know about. (Read about checking all the nuts on the counterflow etc)

I did the old starsan passivate on the kettle after the initial wash, is that needed for the GF?

Back to being a nooooob.......

Cheers

Mike

I didn't passivate.
I didn't even do an initial clean.

For ongoing cleaning I'm using the proper GF stuff, but Perc would do the job in the short-term. Pretty sure the "GF High Performance Cleaner" is likely to be mostly Perc, Metasilicate with some surfactants in it.

I use pink napisan for all my cleaning, including the GF, it's as good as new on the inside. So perc would be perfect. I give it 15 minutes recirculating through the CFC at 70 degrees for about 15-30 minutes after every brew, then the same again with clean water (after a good rinse). Every 5 brews or so I throw all the parts in and fill it up to the brim and give it an overnight soak at 60 degrees with a lid full of napisan. Comes out good as new in the morning.

Latest posts

Back