Paulaner Stein Just Cracked On Me

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiebrewer

Reaction score
Hi all

Got my paulaner stein out to have a drink from it. I double washed the glass under some warm water then started to pour some cold water into then CRACK. There is this bloody huge crack in the stein around the bottom of the handle. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or if I am the one at fault?

When i used to work at a pub I saw this a fair bit we used to sell hoegaarden in those silly fat glasses that weigh about a kilo and we only had a few of them so sometimes you'd take one out of the dishwasher and try and cool it down by running cold water over it and yep same deal broken glass. I think its called thermal shock something to do with the glass expanding and contracting at different speeds I think

When i used to work at a pub I saw this a fair bit we used to sell hoegaarden in those silly fat glasses that weigh about a kilo and we only had a few of them so sometimes you'd take one out of the dishwasher and try and cool it down by running cold water over it and yep same deal broken glass. I think its called thermal shock something to do with the glass expanding and contracting at different speeds I think

what got me was that the water I rinsed it in wasn't even that hot. oh well just hope my weihenstephaner doesn't do the same otherwise I'll be gutted

Latest posts

Back