Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz, this is what I was looking for some months ago. Depending on their cost I think I'd still stick with the system I'm using assuming I was able to pick up a cheap sodastream and bottle. One on ebay at the moment:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...item=4399559470.

Only takes about 1/2hrs work to set it up properly and then you've also got an emergency backup for the big cylinders.

tony

Jase, I'll try to take some pics this arve when I get home. Pretty simple really (but effective).

tony

Batz said:
deadly said:
What I want to know is just how necessary is the soda stream for these set ups?Back in the day of keg parties they were pumped with air and there wasnt a problem (that I can remember)bigger kegs too.
[post="71808"][/post]​

You can buy little air pumps that fit too the gas post of your keg , just a few pumps now and then too serve the brew.
I have a friend sells them , I can't remember how much they were.

Batz
[post="71851"][/post]​

I had a couple of people ask about these , price mainly

I emailed them and they are $48.60 each , postage would be around $5.00

Batz

I'm quite tempted to get one of these Batz, easier than carrying around a 5kg fire extinguisher. Can you post a link / details?

i.e. to they require an extra gas disconnect?

Cheers mate

Boots

deadly said:
What I want to know is just how necessary is the soda stream for these set ups?Back in the day of keg parties they were pumped with air and there wasnt a problem (that I can remember)bigger kegs too.
[post="71808"][/post]​

Some feedback...
I tried going the el-cheapo route of buying a bog standard garden pressure sprayer (Bunnings 5l, $9.87) and trying its existing air pump for dispensing.
I bottled a fairly standard Australian Pale Ale primed with around 7g/l cane sugar.
After a month in the pressure sprayer the build-up of pressure from the carbonating brew found it's way out through the pump assembly and slowly dribbled about a litre of brew over the shed floor.
The so-called "safety valve" provides more resistance than the pump assembly, rendering it useless as a safety valve.
I released all pressure and tried dispensing via the pump. The now flat brew dispenses surprisingly well, giving a nice creamy head reminiscent of an Irish Ale.
I will give the beast another try, next time without priming, and I'll use it for something like and English or Irish Ale.
In the meantime I'm going to try the balance of the current brew daily over the course of the next week or so to see how quickly the pumped air starts to affect the brew. I'll try to remember to let you know how it tastes.
Longer term I think I'll be modifying the sprayer for CO2.

Well colour me surprised.
I've been pumping out a pint a night to see how quickly it goes off.
At day 3 there were solid hints that all was not well. By day 4 it's nearly undrinkable. Harsh sharpness and a hint of vinegar aroma.
I thought it would last around a week, but the general perception mentioned elsewhere here is spot on. If you're going to "air-pump" you'll need to drink it within 1-2 days.
Now to start the hunt for the CO2 bits...

markws said:
As previously mentioned this is my set-up that I find works well - the 8mm neoprene holds the temp extremely well (4 hours) and 1.5 12g co2 cartridges easily pushes 10L of beer - simple, easy and effective.

However my firend said that welding the corny keg back together was not the easiest thing to do -
[post="67616"][/post]​

Mark, did you buy or make the neoprene jacket? I have rung a few material suppliers and they don't stock neoprene. Has anyone been able to track some down?

Hi Jye,

After ringing alot of places there is a guy in QLD who makes custom wetsuits. I believe this is the guy (listed below).

Custom Wetsuit design - QLD - 07 3257 4969

Basically it cost me around $90 for 2x 8mm neoprene jackets to be made - 1 is a full length and the other is basically 1/2 the size. Both are hemmed top and bottom with a full length zip down one size.

The guy was really helpful and easy to work with in making the products.

He can prob sell you the neoprene but you also need to have a commerical sowing maching to handle the material thickness.

Definately one of the best pruchases I have made.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Mark WS

Thanks Mark, the guy is in Newstead which is nice and central.

Is there anyone else that would like one made, I will give him a ring later to get a price for one or a few.

Jye

Jye said:

Is there anyone else that would like one made, I will give him a ring later to get a price for one or a few.

Jye
[post="84112"][/post]​

Jye start a new thread and put bulk buy in the title with the description of the item, you will get a better response that way.

cheers
Andrew

Jye,
I looked at doing this last year before I got my miracle box. There is another wetsuit shop at jindalee/Mt ommanney near the home base centre that can make them up. From memory it was about the same money as previously mentioned. I also asked about just buying the neoprene material and they told me that if they have any excess offcuts they will sell it when available.

Cheers
:beer:
mothballs

Just found the address:

Dolphin/Reef wetsuits
60 Jijaws St
Sumner Park
Qld 4074

Cheers
Mothballs

Cheers Mothballs, will be giving them a call to.

Jye said:

Jye
[post="84112"][/post]​

How did you go Jye ? Did you get a price for individual 3 gal and 5 gal wetsuit jackets ?

Beers,
Doc

Has anyone else found a source for them ?

Beers,
Doc

Doc, I ended up getting lazy and just getting a foam camping mat and wrapping that around a few times, works for a few hours probably as long as a wetsuit jacket. Lately I have been thinking of making a jacket using the same stuff cooler bags are made of... anyone know where to get it? :)

Jye said:
Doc, I ended up getting lazy and just getting a foam camping mat and wrapping that around a few times, works for a few hours probably as long as a wetsuit jacket. Lately I have been thinking of making a jacket using the same stuff cooler bags are made of... anyone know where to get it? :)
[post="109728"][/post]​
cheapest option for 3 gallon kegs is to put it in an esky. if i have a party keg for take away I use this option.

5 gallon ones are a bit more difficult, but one way is a wheely bin(tho a bit bulky!).

Finally got my new cheap party kegs all assembled at the weekend.
Haven't pressure tested with liquid yet, but it all looks the business.

Here are a couple of pics.

Beers,
Doc

Edit: Spelling.

BeerServerPartyKeg_003__Small_.jpg

BeerServerPartyKeg_006__Small_.jpg

Back