Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaytee said:
Right on Doc - Make Your prescence Felt ! Love it ...
[post="128237"][/post]​

Thought I'd stick a sticker on it so that I don't confuse it with the garden poison sparyer :p
Go the Canes this weekend and the Lions in the NPC (although I'll have to support Nelson Bays as well).

Beers,
Doc

Just finished putting this together on the weekend, and thought I'd share... It's a 120L esky, a couple of Micromatic taps on the front (cheers MAH), bunch of JG fittings, couple of JG flow restrictors, some barbed disconnects and a Sodastream bottle and reg. Only got 2 11L kegs at the moment, but room for a third...

Wasn't really wanting to use the JG line because of it's lack of flexibiity, but buggered if I could get a good seal with 5 or 6mm BEVA - particularly on the gas connections. Any experience/advice with using non-JG line with JG fittings?

Ant

Miracle_Box_1_Sml.jpg

Miracle_Box_2_Sml.jpg

Miracle_Box_3_Sml.jpg

That is one serious bit of gear!! Makes my single keg setup look like a baby. For interest, does the 120L keg fit in your boot? If so, what car do you have? I can't get my single esky in without lying it over (and the subsequent ice spill) so it rides in the back between the kids (and stops them fighting I suppose).

tony

Nice one. I have a similar set up that I posted a while back, but single keg and my lid doesn't close unfortunately.

Have you had any problems with the sodastream bottle being on it's side? They are filled with liquid CO2 and aren't actually supposed to be used on their side because you will end up with liquid CO2 in the reg.

Ive always used mine vertically, has anyone actually had any problems with laying them on their side. I just know you shouldn't do it with a gas bottle so the same should apply but I've actually never tested it to see what the detrimental effects might be.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Justin

Tonydav - yep, it fits in the boot or in the back seat, but not much else, I must admit (old Range Rover, so full height in the back helps).

Justin - no probs *to date*, but you have me concerned now... the esky doesn't have the height for the Sodastream bottle with reg on top to stand up, but I could probably re-drill the brackets on a 45... maybe I'll just fit the 1L gas bottle instead; not too keen on replacing a brand new reg :ph34r:

Hi Ant

I've used the SS bottle on its side quite a bit and not had any trouble with the reg, but I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry. You could always mount it on the outside and drill a hole for the gas line, but I think it is much neater being all on the inside and stops people playing with the reg.

With beva tubing, you can use a JG bard. On one end it's barbed and on the other end, it's straight walled and this fits the JG QD parts perfectly. Only problem is that using a work around that has a barb sort of defeats the purpose of using JG in the first place. A load of people used these when Roach did a bulk buy on restrictors and they worked well, so it should be possible.

Cheers
MAH

See if anyone else can pipe up with some opinion on it. I just have a feeling it's not good for your reg but then I think have also seen a few people use their bottles on their sides for ages without problems. A 45 degree tilt would aleviate the problem I would think.

I'd like to know what others thought about this though, it must have been covered before. This was just my thoughts, they could be unfounded.

Cheers, enjoy the portable keg system though. The mates love it when you appear with one of those ;)

Wasn't really wanting to use the JG line because of it's lack of flexibiity, but buggered if I could get a good seal with 5 or 6mm BEVA - particularly on the gas connections. Any experience/advice with using non-JG line with JG fittings?

Ant, looks great, well done. With regards to the line, try CobraPlus, it's flexible & far superior to Beva.

Cheers Ross...

Ant, looks great, well done. With regards to the line, try CobraPlus, it's flexible & far superior to Beva.

Cheers Ross...

Ah - I see that CobraPlus is a new addition to CraftBrewer; but it's listed as 5mm ID, whereas the JG line is listed as 6mm ID. If you can confirm that it seals with the JG fittings, then expect an order very shortly :lol:

Hey Ant,

Can you tell me...what is the John Guest part number for those flow restrictors? :)

PZ.

ant

what a ripper!!!!!!
:eek:
where ya score the 11lt keg?
how much?

jeddog

Not that I'm wanting to promote anything in a non-retail thread, but I got the flow restrictors (~33 each) and the 11L kegs (135 each as is) from Beertech in WA. Not cheap, but it's done now. :ph34r:

Thanks man, but I'm not ordering from Beertech ever again :ph34r:

Could you please tell me what part number they have on them? I have a John Guest distributor nearby, so should be able to get/order them in from there :)

PZ.

as for the SS bottles being on there side, it is a bad idea really. the bottles are only 1/2 filled at the factory to give headspace etc, so when its on the side you are pushing the limits of geting liquid into your reg. if that happened id assume you would go from 14psi on the low side, to instantly anywhere up to about 800psi bang goes your kegs/lines/reg/ who knows. very scary.

to put it in perspective, roughly 1/2 litre of liquid co2 that comes in the soda stream bottle will decompress to over 240L at atmo pressure. so you can see easily how a couple of ML of liquid that may get through your reg will end up being a massive volume of gas in your system.

redrill the holes and put the bottle on an angle. will keep the liquid co2 at the bottom of the bottle where its ment to be.

Could you please tell me what part number they have on them? I have a John Guest distributor nearby, so should be able to get/order them in from there :)

PZ.

fingerlicken - I'm a JG distributor & the flow regulators arn't a JG fitting - sorry.

Cheers Ross

PZ.

fingerlicken - I'm a JG distributor & the flow regulators arn't a JG fitting - sorry.

Cheers Ross

Yeah, we figured out the error Ross, but all may not be lost ;)

PZ.

nice job ant,

got a rough guide as to total $$$ spent ?

cheers

nice job ant,

got a rough guide as to total $$$ spent ?

cheers
Deliberately hadn't done that... :ph34r:

But looking at parts list:
Esky - $300 (RRP, but called in favours from friend with camping store contacts to get it for $150)
Kegs - $270 ($135 ea)
Reg - $70
SodaStream bottle - $30
Tap shanks - $140 ($70 ea)
JG fittings - $32
Disconnects - $48 ($12 ea)
Alumasc Flow Restrictors - $66 ($33 ea)
Beer line - $10

Total - $966 (paid $816)

Now THAT'S why I didn't add it up. That is truly excessive (Note that this doesn't take into account stuff I already had, this is just a total price list).

But now it's done, can't see why I'd ever need to change it, other than to realign the gas bottle. Except maybe add another tap/keg... :eek:

DSCN0087.JPG
DSCN0088.JPG
DSCN0089.JPG

Got my party system all set up in time for the case swap.
Scored the insulated boxes from work.
Joined two together cutting the bottom out of one to form the lid.
Holds full size PM keg.
Collected the gel ice packs from work.
After first test run,
3 ice packs partilly frozen
4 still frozen solid.
Not bad after 36 hours. :D

Back