Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well you've got me intrigued and I'm going to need to pester you for some more info.

* It looks like the soda stream bottle is on its side - any issues?

* How do you connect the soda stream to the plastic spray bottle?

tony

No worries tonydav,

I haven't had any issues with the bottle on its side. The beer is poured into the container straight from the tap on the fridge so it's already carbonated. The gas is just there to push the beer out. You could put the bottle anywhere, it's just mounted that way because it is taller than the esky.

The bottle is connected via the original button switch from the op-shop ($10) soda stream I gutted. Fudged a hose onto that and on the other end is a cheap car tyre thingy from Supercheap. I took the guts of the pressure sprayer out and replaced it with a piece of circular perspex cut with a hole saw and sealed with a big rubber washer from the dunny section at Bunnings. Whacked and old metal car tyre vale in the top and it was done.

Whenever the pouring pressure slows down you just hit the button and bingo faster beer. It's always consumed in one sitting and haven't had any issues yet.

cheers

richie

richie

Any chance of a few pics of how you sealed the top when you get a spare min.

I pulled the pump out of mine but left the plastic tube in it. After stuffing around with a few ideas that didn't work, I ended up cutting the sides off a standard milk bottle top and siliconed it to teh bottom end of the plastic tube. Did the job but your method sounds a lot better.

I also have issues with sealing the point where the liquid comes out, which I haven't solved. It slowly leaks. Did you have any issues with this part. ??

Any help much appreciated.

Plastic Man,

I'll try and grab some pics of the top part tonight. I think that sosman may have done something similar with a turned piece of metal and a proper gas post but I'm not sure.

Where the beer comes out, I think that mine was a piece of shitty plastic (that was cracked) that was screwed down and sealed with pressure on to an o-ring sort of thing. I may have replaced it with a brass barb. Once again, I'll grab a pic.

cheers

richie

While you're taking pics, any chance of some pics of the soda stream adapters and so-on. I think this option might be a cheaper option than a reg and adapter etc as I've got at the moment.

tony

Sosman's one looks like this:
PartyKeg.jpg

http://brewiki.org/PartyKeg

Why bother?
Just pump it full of air as the unit is designed to do. If it oxidises before you can drink it, you need therapy.

Why bother? Well to be honest I don't know. Maybe I just couldnt be farked lugging a pump around and pumping it up every now and again ;) call me lazy. I love to push buttons, drink beer and sit on my arse ;)

I s'pose in the end it just came down to because I can :) I was bored (and it generates plenty of comments).

The pics of the bits are coming, later thisarvo hopefully.

cheers

richie

I'm thinking of the pressure bottle as i think I can get them cheap through work, and I have to agree wholeheartedly with Vlad.

I'm no handyman by any stretch of the imagination, so I couldn't imagine bothering to get the co2 connceted up. Use the device how it was inteded and use the attached hand pump to push the beer out.

<<however, if i was as talented as half of you guys I'd make it properly>>

Any luck with the pics Richie????

I've just purchased an old soda stream and am looking forward to setting up the button like you've done.

tony

My 3 gal party keg came to the rescue yesterday afternoon.
My wife was off to a tupperware party at a mates place. The plan was the lads would look after the kids and we would have a bbq afterwards.
Anyho, I didn't have anything in bottles when I was getting ready to leave, so I grabbed a 3gal keg of Alt, put it in a 20 litre bucket with some ice bricks and grabbed the C02 bulb fitting and a picnic tap.
Long story short, the host had no beer, no one else bought any beer, and my 3 gal keg of Alt was a hit. It got drained and saved the party.
Converted a few guys to homebrew too I'm sure.

Beers,
Doc

The host had no beer?Do you think that was planned <_<

He did say something about what ever he bought, he knew it would be wrong. And that he knew I wouldn't turn up empty handed :lol:

Doc

"Quality" friend I must say.

Following some assistance from Richie I've got my full party keg setup functional. Managed to pickup on old Sodastream from Ebay. (Bonus was when I opened it up it had an empty steel cylinder - since exchanged :)). I destroyed the sodastream and now have a push button to charge setup. Works a charm and means I don't need to find a right-angle adapter, plus frees up a regulator. All fits great in the 38L Coleman cooler. Friends have been *very* impressed.

tony

What I want to know is just how necessary is the soda stream for these set ups?Back in the day of keg parties they were pumped with air and there wasnt a problem (that I can remember)bigger kegs too.

deadly said:
What I want to know is just how necessary is the soda stream for these set ups?Back in the day of keg parties they were pumped with air and there wasnt a problem (that I can remember)bigger kegs too.
[post="71808"][/post]​

Dispensing with air is fine if you are going to finish the keg pretty quick (within 1-2 days). Otherwise you want to use C02.

Beers,
Doc

I use the CO2 cause I keep thinking I'll be bringing some home. S'pose that might happen one day.....

deadly said:
[post="71808"][/post]​

You can buy little air pumps that fit too the gas post of your keg , just a few pumps now and then too serve the brew.
I have a friend sells them , I can't remember how much they were.

Batz

tonydav said:
"Quality" friend I must say.

Following some assistance from Richie I've got my full party keg setup functional. Managed to pickup on old Sodastream from Ebay. (Bonus was when I opened it up it had an empty steel cylinder - since exchanged :)). I destroyed the sodastream and now have a push button to charge setup. Works a charm and means I don't need to find a right-angle adapter, plus frees up a regulator. All fits great in the 38L Coleman cooler. Friends have been *very* impressed.

tony
[post="71775"][/post]​

Hi Tony,

Any pics of your completed setup??

Cheers,
Jase

Back