Party Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fammer,

The Industrial Igloo Cooler came from Cargills in Burswood. Cargills in an independent camping shop with lots of cool stuff in it It was purchased a few years ago and when I went back looking for the 10gal version I was told they had stopped importing them to Aus Although I did see both sizes in there last week but the price has gone up significantly.(around $250 for the 10 gal one now.)

DeeBee,

Sadly no GT on the go ATM Got 40 litres of Mash Paddle to get through now the Comp Dates moved!!!! <_< Lucky I didnt give away my secret recipe tweaking. :ph34r:

Asher for now

nice work Asher.

What do you do for cooling ? - it looks pretty snug in there for ice. Or do you just put a chilled keg in there and rely on the Igloo to keep it that way.

reply mainly on Igloo itself, although you can fit a few litres of Ice round the keg... If you clean the outside of keg well enough you can drink the water as a bonus B)

I finally managed to track down a cooler like Ross's. Coleman make a 38L beverage cooler that's a good fit. Very heavy duty but unfortunately much dearer than Ross paid - RRP is $129 and I couldn't talk anyone down so that's what I paid.

On the positive, it is very thick insulation with good seals and the shank from the tap fitted perfectly even leaving the existing tap seal in place.

I also didn't realise I needed an angled adapter for the soda stream bottle so I'll need to see if Hoops can help me out. Mine won't fit in the esky with the bottle upright.

I do have one question though; is it possible to fill an 11L keg from an already carbonated keg?

tony

tonydav said:
I finally managed to track down a cooler like Ross's. Coleman make a 38L beverage cooler that's a good fit. Very heavy duty but unfortunately much dearer than Ross paid - RRP is $129 and I couldn't talk anyone down so that's what I paid.

On the positive, it is very thick insulation with good seals and the shank from the tap fitted perfectly even leaving the existing tap seal in place.

I also didn't realise I needed an angled adapter for the soda stream bottle so I'll need to see if Hoops can help me out. Mine won't fit in the esky with the bottle upright.

I do have one question though; is it possible to fill an 11L keg from an already carbonated keg?

tony
[post="67241"][/post]​

Tony,

Quality Homebrew @ Underwood have the right angled soda stream adaptors, & yes, no problems filling an 11L keg from a 20L one - just pour from the tap or via a connecting lead - either way works fine - don't listen when some say it oxidises out the tap - trust me it doesn't....

Where is Underwood?

And just to clarify, the 22L keg I'm using to transfer to the 11L is fully carbonated (and being drunk actually). That's fine? I have a double ended transfer tube. Spose it would be best to transfer slowly to minimise the bubbles at the other end?

tony

My advice it to do it this way.

1. Purge and Pressurize your 11L keg to the same pressure as the 22L.
2. Hook up your jumper lead from bev out to bev out on the the two kegs.
3. Pressure will equalise between the two, but you wont get much movement of beer. Leave your gas bottle hooked up to the 22L one and turned on.
4. Slowly start to bleed off pressure in the 11L keg using the pressure release valve. Only bleed off a little bit at a time.

Beer will transfer nice and slowly and the pressure drop in the 11L keg will not be that much that the beer will foam. The pressure helps keep everything in solution.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Justin

A different track I took was to have a friend cut and re-weld a 19 L corny keg to approx 10Land then have made in (QLD) a 8mm neoprene jacket (with full length zipper) for the keg. Interestingly this work extremely well in maintaining the temperature for at least 4 to 5 hrs. I purchased from more beer one of there faucet taps/adaptors for the quick disconnects and then use the CO2 cartridge system to push the beer out. Sorry no pics of the system as my friend is sampling some beer with this set-up.

However a couple of quick Q's

Has anyone seen the Coopers 26L coolers in NSW - as mentioned at Campmart VIC?

Has anyone tracked down in NSW Scharder valves mentioned by Brewiki and others for making 2/3L picnic kegs from plastic coke bottles
as at http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/index.htm

Regards

MarkWS

Yep I transfer as Justin described not very hard at all and no risk of anything going wrong.

If you are planning on drinking it soon then it probably matters little how you get it in there, if you could end up with it sitting there for a while then I would try and avoid it getting in contact with lots of air (ie pouring from the tap).

Hi guys,

I just gave Quality Home Brew a call - slacks creek, and asked them about the right angles adapters. He said yes they do have them, didn't know the price off the top of his head, and wouldn't go and have a look - told me to get in the car and drive over... :blink:

I would have thought that the fact I was ringing would have suggested that jumping in th car and driving over wasn't an easy option...

Oh well

Matt

mobrien said:
Hi guys,

I just gave Quality Home Brew a call - slacks creek, and asked them about the right angles adapters. He said yes they do have them, didn't know the price off the top of his head, and wouldn't go and have a look - told me to get in the car and drive over... :blink:

I would have thought that the fact I was ringing would have suggested that jumping in th car and driving over wasn't an easy option...

Oh well

Matt
[post="67289"][/post]​

HA Ha, Yeah Me too... little wierd.

I remember calling them about these a while ago and from memory they said $38 but this was atleast 2 months ago so I cannot be 100% sure.

Sounds like the "Slack" in "Slacks Creek" refers to the people not the creek :lol:

As previously mentioned this is my set-up that I find works well - the 8mm neoprene holds the temp extremely well (4 hours) and 1.5 12g co2 cartridges easily pushes 10L of beer - simple, easy and effective.

However my firend said that welding the corny keg back together was not the easiest thing to do -

Picture_236.jpg

Asher, very envious of your set-up. Excellent work mate.

markws, I have heard you can get lots of foaming when pouring beer over such a short distance as yours, do you find this to be a problem?

I have had my 3 gallon keg for over 6 months but have done nothing to get it up and running as a party keg. This will be my next project.

C&B
TDA

Hi TDA

I've got one of those taps that attach straight to a beverage out QD. I'll bring it to the next meeting and you can have a trial to see how you like them.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
Hi TDA

I've got one of those taps that attach straight to a beverage out QD. I'll bring it to the next meeting and you can have a trial to see how you like them.

Cheers
MAH
[post="67665"][/post]​

Thanks MAH, I planned to use the picnic tap as the dispenser but seeing all these portable set-ups with real beer taps on them I reckon I will be going down that road.
I would still like to give it a go though. I will give you a yell when I have sorted the gas side out.

Wont be at the next gathering due to a very important little girls birthday party.

C&B
TDA

TDA,

I have not found any problems with the set-up specifically relating to short (or non existant) QD and tap set-up.

I tend to find the less head space available especially initally with a full keg and having to reduce the ouput pressure is more painful. However it is my preferred way of taking plenty of beer to a party.

The biggest problem is that everyone thinks they know how to pour beer and the first time they do this they generally fail - with a massive head on a prety small beer.

My general rule is that you have to earn your stripes to pour my beer - to prevent wastage.

The CO2 cartridge system is alot better than expected aswell - I have not used anywhere near as many cartridges as expected still the sealing system appears to reasonably good - often one cartridge is used over a week apart between pours!.

There is some good prices on ebay for this stuff at the moment.

Hope the info helps

Kind Regards

MarkWS

Was in Mitre 10 today and seen 8litre pressure sprayers in SS for $90, a bit steep but just attach a picnic tap and you are done, no need to spend up on gas and adaptors.

similar to this

Yeah saw that in bunnings same price -not much good for spraying with but would make a nice party pack-minister for finance wouldnt let me get it though (apparently i dont NEED it at the mo)

Hi Guys

This was suprisingly easy and may give you guys some ideas. Its a 5L jobbie that was $10 but can be filled to hold 6.5L. I have also seem some 8L ones for about $20 on special every blue moon. They could hold 9-10 L which is over a case of beer. Just might need a bigger esky, or you could stand it up, or you could insulate it with that wetsuit stuff.

cheers

richie.

EskyTop.jpg

Back