Party Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeldarb

Reaction score
I recently did a Cervesa for my wife...after primary I stuck it in a secondary (Bunnings type fermenter) for a good 3 weeks. Long story short, this "fermenter" didn't have an air lock on it...I didn't give this a second thought until I bottled it. I wanted the Cervesa with as little sediment as possible so I used Carbonation drops (rather than bulk priming as I have been doing recently) and as such the beer went straight from the secondary to the bottle.

What struck me was that this beer was pretty much gassed up and ready to drink out of the secondary...if it was an Ale that is (don't mind my ales a little on the flat side).

I am thinking about experimenting with (most likely) a 5ltr type cube...I have one of Fourstars AA's almost ready to bottle and was thinking of putting some of it straight into a 5ltr cube, with some priming sugar and use this as a "party keg" of sorts...

My main concern would probably be that the tap can't hold the pressure of the CO2 build up. Perhaps I could fit a better tap if the normal old plastic tap can't take the pressure.

Any ideas about this way of serving beer?

Try searching for beer engines. Someone recently posted up some pics they had of a plastic cube and were pouring their english pub ales through a cube and a beer engine. Can't remember much more than that though.

Cheers SJ

What sort of cube are you referring to? A supermarket mineral water cube certainly wouldn't hold the pressure but a little 5 L jerrycan (about 7 bucks from Bunnings) would certainly hold some pressure for a UK style draught ale. For serving I would just pour into jugs. You should get a good clear pour into a 3L jug and less so for the rest. However the party goers or BBQ-ites would need to have a taste for UK Real Ale style beer or they'll be looking funny at each other behind your back.

100_0790.jpg

or search for 'party cube'. heaps on ahb about it

or search for 'party cube'. heaps on ahb about it

I tried that...got lots of unrelated threads consisting of lots of pages. All this info must buried in there some place...I couldn't find anything sprecifically. If you can point something out that would be great.

google search on AHB 'dispensing from a cube', 'serve from a cube'.

heres a start

and yes the party keg thread does have lots of pages. but the info you seek is contained within. unfortunately thats a bit of life and some work is required as I cant give you an exact answer. just pointing you in the right direction

What sort of cube are you referring to? A supermarket mineral water cube certainly wouldn't hold the pressure but a little 5 L jerrycan (about 7 bucks from Bunnings) would certainly hold some pressure for a UK style draught ale. For serving I would just pour into jugs. You should get a good clear pour into a 3L jug and less so for the rest. However the party goers or BBQ-ites would need to have a taste for UK Real Ale style beer or they'll be looking funny at each other behind your back.

View attachment 28271

I was thinking the Bunnings type...I am fully aware people are already looking funny at each other...they always say the beer is good though...and that's the main thing :)

Thanks citymorgue2...

basically the biggest issue is pressure. if its really bloody low then yes it will work. you dont really have to worry about pumping it out as you could gravity feed out of a hose or tap. or pour it out if the cube is small enough

:icon_offtopic:
ive just seen your sig butters. Classic!

And then knock a head on it with a syringe. aka the 'pocket sparkler' ;)

Yep it works really well for us paupers who can't afford a beer engine. It's a method I first read about on HBD in 1998. A rather revered homebrewer by the name of Jeff Renner used to swear by it.

Warren -

Yeah Warren, the old pocket beer engine method is a good one to have up your sleeve! A mate showed it to me a few years back, he swears by it.

This is a picture from an IBU Real Ale Fest

The%20Cubes.jpg

As you can see the cubes are swollen and the real ale a flowing

There's no need to have a beer engine as you can pour from the tap on the cube

This method is only suited to beers which require lower carbonation as the cubes will stretch or pop their tap if there is too much pressure

Beer best consumed within 3 days and try and maintain coolish temps or most of the carbonation will come out

We were priming at a rate of 30-40g cane sugar per 15L

Cheers

I am thinking about experimenting with (most likely) a 5ltr type cube...I have one of Fourstars AA's almost ready to bottle and was thinking of putting some of it straight into a 5ltr cube, with some priming sugar and use this as a "party keg" of sorts... My main concern would probably be that the tap can't hold the pressure of the CO2 build up. Perhaps I could fit a better tap if the normal old plastic tap can't take the pressure. Any ideas about this way of serving beer?

Yes as Cortez has shown, this idea has been done. The IBUs amongst many other have done all your experimenting for you ! Keep only low carbonated ales in the cubes, be prepared to vent them occasionally if the swelling is excessive. Excessive pressure will blow out taps if they are not a good tight fitting but shouldn't happen if you keep a check on things. The cubes can take a lot of swelling - a lot more than the IBUs expose them too. Once you "crack" your cube for drinking, the beer becomes oxidised so as Cortez says, be prepared to drink in a couple of days.

I have used a smaller 7l cube - it swelled enormously but has more orless returned to shape. They probably have a slightly thinner shell than the 20l kegs.

If there is a problem, its with travelling - stirs up the yeast. You won't get a clear beer. Fine if you keep in the fridge .. but watch the temp if you want an english room temp !

Best of luck.

Yep it works really well for us paupers who can't afford a beer engine. It's a method I first read about on HBD in 1998. A rather revered homebrewer by the name of Jeff Renner used to swear by it.

Warren -

I knew someone else had posted this up, but just couldn't remember who.....I'm sure it must have been you, now that I think about it, Warren. :icon_cheers:

When I read the thread title I was picturing one of these filled with beer :D

IBC_1.JPG

1000L cube. That's one hellava party!

Latest posts

Back