Partial Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWB

Reaction score
<_< A friend gave me a tin of Coopers European lager and I have decided to do a partial mash and experiment a little.

I have 500g of pale malt and 500g of pilsner malt grains unopened in packets that have been sitting in my brew cupboard for a while.
Question is....if I use the brew in a bag method with thse grains and mash them with 10G of sazz pellets in the mash and then chuck in the can of coopers and boil for 40 or so minutes before cooling and adding to the fermenter then topping up to 20 litres with water what is my OG likley to be?
I only have a 20 litre urn for a boiler at the moment but it should be enough room to get 15 litres of wort boiling

any comments or advice appreciated! :)

1kg base malt has potential for 20L of 1.015 wort, but assuming 65% efficiency it's closer to 1.010.

if I use the brew in a bag method with thse grains and mash them with 10G of sazz pellets in the mash and then chuck in the can of coopers and boil for 40 or so minutes before cooling and adding to the fermenter

If you want anything other than the bitterness from the kit goop then don't boil it for a long time like that - you'll boil off all the flavour and aroma.

Also, the vast majority of people consider 60 min to be the minimum boil time required to boil off volatiles when boiling mash liquor - 90 minutes is usually given as the standard boil time when working with pilsner malt like you are (although your small volume might make this less important in this instance).

Best of luck with it!

Latest posts

Back