Partial Bock Recipe, Your Thoughts And......

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning on making a partial bock in the next few days and I have been looking into what grains I will use for it.

My recipe so far is

Light LME 1.5 kg
Light DME 1.0 kg
Munich 0.5 kg
Vienna 0.3 kg
Carafa Spec II 0.1 kg
Caramalt Malt 0.1 kg

Saaz to mid 20's in IBU

34/70 yeast

The beer that I'm wanting to emulate is Budvar Dark, I have drunk a bit of that beer in the last couple of months and was wondering if this is somewhere in the ball park? The thing that has impressed me so much with this beer is the delicious carmel almost cola flavour that you can taste. Can anyone give me some advice or thoughts on the above recipe, even if you haven't tried Budvar Dark, does it still look any good?

Now the question about Coopers LME. What grains do Coopers use in their Light Malt Extract and is it compatible with this style of beer? The more you look into home brewing the deeper you bury yourself in it.

Cheers

What equipment are you using to mash/boil in. I'd try and use more grain and try to ditch the lme. I still do a few partials and try and make my fermentables using 1kg dme and then whatever the desired gravity.with grain. I do make the exception if making high gravity where I'd use approximately 1.5kg.

If you've got a 20lt go for more grain. It won't take any longer and will leave less deadspace in the pot. Also u will have more control over the grain bill. I'm sure there will be a flurry of go ag but each to their own.

Yeah, I'm looking into BIAB but it wont be this time around. What would you suggest with the grain bill.

Cheers

If you've got a 20lt go for more grain. It won't take any longer and will leave less deadspace in the pot. Also u will have more control over the grain bill. I'm sure there will be a flurry of go ag but each to their own.
\

Well I took the jump and bought a BIAB bag and went down the AG route. It turned out well, I got 77% efficiency from 2kg Pilsner, 1.2kg Munich .1 Carfra spec 2 .1 Caraaroma Malt and used 34/70 yeast and 40g Saaz to 22 IBU. The other first for me was I installed an stc1000 into the secondary fridge. Every time I open up the fridge it smells amazing, now that I know the process I wont be going back to using cans which is pretty exciting. The recipeDB looks more open to play with.

Cheers for the nudge.

Good to hear. The options are open now and you can brew whatever you please.

Latest posts

Back