Paragliding

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did an "introductory" day a few years ago.... Running down a hill and a couple of 20 second or so flights. It was awesome and i fully intend to go back to it one day soon and go all the way.

How much better does it get than an aircraft you can stuff into a backpack and throw in the back of your car??

I'm staying away from thunder clouds though... Did you see that thing on the telly about the german woman who got sucked up 10km into the stratosphere and frozen like a popsicle?? She lived, but shouldn't have.

I did an "introductory" day a few years ago.... Running down a hill and a couple of 20 second or so flights. It was awesome and i fully intend to go back to it one day soon and go all the way.

How much better does it get than an aircraft you can stuff into a backpack and throw in the back of your car??

I'm staying away from thunder clouds though... Did you see that thing on the telly about the german woman who got sucked up 10km into the stratosphere and frozen like a popsicle?? She lived, but shouldn't have.

Yep - apparently that happend in Australia. I've been sure to watch the mandatory disaster videos on youtube, but they aren't enough to put me off the idea od one day soaring through the Alps, Pyranese or Karakoram.

big investment though - $1900ish for the licence course....

I'm jealous, have always wanted to and just lacked the ready cash for the whole thing.

Years ago a mate of mine was learning to hangglide so I tagged along to his first lesson and helped drag the kite back up the dunes at Murdering Gully in Newcastle. As thanks I got to have a go, I only flew about 50ms but have never forgotten it. One thing that my mate found really frustrating though was waiting for the right conditions, his training plan blew out for months because the weather was not helpful, so patience is a virtue.

cheers

grant

Hangliding would be very cool, bit I really like the idea of being able to pack everything up into a backpack and hitch home! Would also be awesome to intergrate it with travel.

Been watching training videos for the past few days - I think I'm sold. Planning on learning at Manilla (near Tamworth) - I've got relatives at laurieton, which is Aldo meant to be a good spot to learn, but apparently learning inland helps you better cope with more difficult, turbulent condotions.

Planning on learning at Manilla (near Tamworth) - I've got relatives at laurieton, which is Aldo meant to be a good spot to learn, but apparently learning inland helps you better cope with more difficult, turbulent condotions.

I used to live up that way (near Warialda) and there are quite a few flyers up there and some good take off points. You're right about the turbulent conditions, that's where the German woman that Thirsty referred to had her adventure!

Keep us posted.

cheers

grant

Here's a view of the charming town of Hopfgarten, Austria taken between my hairy legs a few years back.
You had to basically run off the side of a hill with a German man strapped to your back and a parachute strapped to his.
My man told me in stilted English 'Make fast running so no hit trees OK?'
I'm not a good heights man and didn't need to be told twice, so I paddled my legs like Fred Flintstone and before I had time to panic or cry we were floating serenely above the trees.

On the final part of our decent he 'cork screwed' it to the point where we were at times laterally spinning higher than the chute canopy.
To this day, one of the best things I done in my life.
Do it - you'll absolutely love it.

DSC00604-1.jpg

To this day, one of the best things I done in my life.
Do it - you'll absolutely love it.

That is quite the plug.

I'm probably booking next week, and have decided to do the one in Manilla, near Tamworth. Preying for good wether, and just a little overexcited.

All booked. Start the licence course in April. Counting the sleeps now!

Just got back. Pretty damn amazing. Two days agao I caught my first real thermal, climbs of up to 5 meteres a second - took me right up to coudbase. Flying in between puffy white clouds two KM off the ground is a pretty special experience. I'm hooked.

4Pines have got their space beer happening - maybe I could develop one for drinking at cloudbase?

Just got back. Pretty damn amazing. Two days agao I caught my first real thermal, climbs of up to 5 meteres a second - took me right up to coudbase. Flying in between puffy white clouds two KM off the ground is a pretty special experience. I'm hooked.

4Pines have got their space beer happening - maybe I could develop one for drinking at cloudbase?

Friggin awesome - you make me really really want to go back for another shot and maybe the full licence course. Maybe as a present for myself if i pass my diploma.....

Do it. The course was a bit $$ey, but it included a full 10 days of accomodation and was extremely througher.

Do it. The course was a bit $$ey, but it included a full 10 days of accomodation and was extremely througher.

You've just convinced me! I'm looking at doing the one starting on the 28th May if I can swing the time off work. How'd did you find the course?

cheers

grant

You've just convinced me! I'm looking at doing the one starting on the 28th May if I can swing the time off work. How'd did you find the course?

cheers

grant

Godfrey at Manilla was a really great teacher - years of experience, and very well paced. I'd really strongly advise trying to stay for an extra couple of days after the course, just incase you don't get enough flights in because of bad wether. Even if you qualify in time, a couple of extra supervised flights is pretty cool. Parts of the course are a bit dull, some really hard work (we did 5 straight, hard slog hours of ground handleing one day), but reachign cloudbase or catching your first proper thermal is an amazing experience. it was quite a strech financially for me, but totally justified - more than worth it.

Make sure you let me know if you end up getting qualified - I'm planning on doing most of my flying in Manilla, Lauriton and Bright (I'm actually moving to Bright for good later this month). See you at cloudbase!

Moving to Bright!!

What a move. The gliding, hangliding, paragliding mecca of the whole damn country as well as a top line food, wine and of course beer destination.

I have a notion you might like it there. I have family in both Bright and Myrtleford, might catch you around one of these days.

Godfrey at Manilla was a really great teacher - years of experience, and very well paced. I'd really strongly advise trying to stay for an extra couple of days after the course, just incase you don't get enough flights in because of bad wether. Even if you qualify in time, a couple of extra supervised flights is pretty cool. Parts of the course are a bit dull, some really hard work (we did 5 straight, hard slog hours of ground handleing one day), but reachign cloudbase or catching your first proper thermal is an amazing experience. it was quite a strech financially for me, but totally justified - more than worth it.

Make sure you let me know if you end up getting qualified - I'm planning on doing most of my flying in Manilla, Lauriton and Bright (I'm actually moving to Bright for good later this month). See you at cloudbase!

Cool, thanks for the advice, I'll keep a few days up my sleeve. Awesome move to Bright! I head down most Januaries for the Alpine Classic, its a lovely spot.

I'm booking the course today :D Will let you know how I go.

Latest posts

Back