"pale" Or "light"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super easy I reckon. It can get more technical and so forth but that's reserved for later in my brewing life. Basic mashing, particularly for partials is simple (a bit time consuming but it's an enjoyable process) and the difference it can make is a wonderful thing.

A small, cheap esky or two and a good strainer and stockpot and you're there.

I got a big 40L stockpot and one of those rambo burners from CraftBrewer. As far as the esky goes, do I need to make some fancy, big mash/lauter tun dealy if I just want to make of a bit of nice pilsner wort?

No. I use an esky (started with 2 x $3.50 polystyrene ones from coles but they drop too much heat so bought a 10L one from K-mart for $30). I have a plastic mesh strainer ($5 from safeway) and simply mash, strain and mash/strain again (English sparge). I use a plastic spoon to hold most of the grain in when I upend the esky. Very untechnical but it's affordable and it makes me beer.

Don't forget to get the grain milled first

Heh Davew,
When the time is right can you let us know the results
Ive had two brews that seemed a little HB twangie /sour/ fruity. These were both done with cascade hops and I didnt think of it till now but each had a can of Morgans extra pale ( beer enhancer) which could account for the extra stength hops if there wasnt as much malt as I thought at brew time . ( I heard cascade can be fruity) Just looking for reasons for friuty bite apart from possible secondary infection although it hasnt got stronger in a few months , I"ll drink it anyway :icon_cheers:
Daz

G'day Dad,

I spoke with Jeff at the Home Brew Shop in Cleveland today. He said that the Morgan's Extra Pale had a lot of buffering things in it. That may account for "twanginess." It's my understanding that over sugaring a beer will do that. I made one of those Cooper's Cerveza's (my second brew) EXACTLY according to the instructions, and I got a pleasant, apple tasting thing with no bitterness at all. Not beer though. Morgan's does have a lager malt product that he said would work well. I'll give that one a go when I make my extract pils and post the results. I am fairly confident a pilsner can be made from extract gear. Cheers!

If you read the label on the can (1.5 Kg) of Morgans Brew Enhancer, it says made from 100% 2 row malted barley.

So no dextrose, glucose, sugar or anything else; amazing how useful it is to be literate, rather than to just speculate wildly.

MHB

If you read the label on the can (1.5 Kg) of Morgan's Brew Enhancer, it says "made from 100% 2 row malted barley".

So no dextrose, glucose, sugar or anything else; amazing how useful it is to be literate, rather than to just speculate wildly.

MHB

Wow MHB, quite a tone! Speculate Wildly, eh? So what does it mean to me made "From" 100% 2 row malted barley? I guess there's nothing else in the can at all. Damn, I wish I could be half as literate and intelligent as you.

If you read the label on the can (1.5 Kg) of Morgan's Brew Enhancer, it says "made from 100% 2 row malted barley".

MHB

:lol: If only

Alright Alright. Just as a heads-up, for anyone that may be interested, and anyone ELSE that doesn't necessarily trust adverta-speak, The Morgan's Extra Pale Brew Enhancer IS IN FACT 100% malted barley, regardless of the slightly vague label claiming it is "from" 100% 2 row blah blah blah. So, the person at Morgan's has confirmed this, and though now experienced with it's use himself, he claims that he knows others at Morgan's who HAVE used it and they say it's awesome, so that's what I'll be using for my first extract Pilsner. Dave

2 row is just the type of malted barley it's made from and is a legitimate description rather than adverta-speak.

I've used the extra pale cans and have had no twang or fruitiness - that sounds more likely to be a yeast/temp control issue anyway.

DaveW - you owe MHB a cuddle.

2 row is just the type of malted barley it's made from and is a legitimate description rather than adverta-speak.

I've used the extra pale cans and have had no twang or fruitiness - that sounds more likely to be a yeast/temp control issue anyway.

DaveW - you owe MHB a cuddle.

Sorry, no cuddles from me. In my initial post, i only mentioned what a Home Brew Shop owner told me. I think his response (obviously without even looking at what I said -how ironic) was both arrogant and rude. I made no inference to the fact that Morgan's uses "adverta-speak" (look Mummy, I've created a new term), only that I've been stung by it before and am a bit gun shy. I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I WAS GETTING WHAT I WAS PAYING FOR!!! And as far as that goes, I settled it on my own without some hot-headed retailer guiding me in any shape, manner, or form. Do I sound a little defensive? Well, whatever. READ WHAT YOU ARE RESPONDING TO, MHB! And Manticle, seriously, mate "Made from????" If they said "Made OF," this would not even be an issue right now. Made from can mean made from 20% 100% 2 row barley... Going to bed now, goodnight. Dave

Chill sweetpea. I didn't mean to upset you. I would now like a cuddle too.

Made from is simply correct grammar.

'Made from 100%....' usually means 'made only from' and is also correct grammar.

I understand your mistrust of advertising and crappy marketting - it's just in this case it's misguided. Not trying to have a fight - just to clarify.

Sorry, no cuddles from me. In my initial post, i only mentioned what a Home Brew Shop owner told me. I think his response (obviously without even looking at what I said -how ironic) was both arrogant and rude. I made no inference to the fact that Morgan's uses "adverta-speak" (look Mummy, I've created a new term), only that I've been stung by it before and am a bit gun shy. I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I WAS GETTING WHAT I WAS PAYING FOR!!! And as far as that goes, I settled it on my own without some hot-headed retailer guiding me in any shape, manner, or form. Do I sound a little defensive? Well, whatever. READ WHAT YOU ARE RESPONDING TO, MHB! And Manticle, seriously, mate "Made from????" If they said "Made OF," this would not even be an issue right now. Made from can mean made from 20% 100% 2 row barley... Going to bed now, goodnight. Dave

morgans is actually made by coopers any way and yes it is 100% malted barley extract. It is good for all kinds of kit and extract brewing and will give a good result. as for the fruity ness cascade can impart a citrussy fruity flavour and if used excessively can become quite grapefruity.

morgans is actually made by coopers any way and yes it is 100% malted barley extract. It is good for all kinds of kit and extract brewing and will give a good result. as for the fruity ness cascade can impart a citrussy fruity flavour and if used excessively can become quite grapefruity.

Beer Enhancer (2-row Pale extract, Glucose, and Honey; 1.2 EBC)
Lager Malt (100% 2-row Lager malt; 2.4 EBC)
Caramalt (60% Caramalt and 40% Pale malt; 12 EBC)
Dark Crystal Malt (60% Dark Crystal and 40% Vienna malt; 38.4 EBC)
Wheat Malt (60% Wheat and 40% Pilsner malt; 3.2 EBC)
Chocolate Malt (15% Chocolate and 85% Munich malt; 21.6 EBC)
Roasted Black Malt (12% Roasted Black malt and 88% Munich malt; 50.8 EBC)

Morgans Masterblend extracts only 50% fermentable; Malt Extracts 75%

http://www.morgansbrewing.com.au/assets/up...rewersNews4.pdf
http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/view/page/34/news/9.html

Thanks everyone! And MANTICLE, here's your hug, baby! I wasn't here picking fights with anyone, just wanted to get some good ingredients while I am still a wee extract brewer, which won't be long if I chat with Ross again. My first NON-KIT beer, a Brown Ale I made from the recipe of Howtobrew.com was born in the bottle today, frikkin awesome. I LOVE BEER!!! Cheer! Dave

Thanks for that. I got a good feeling the bloke on the phone was hardcore for his products. And I believed him. I can't wait to make a Pils from it, if me new urge to brew AG doesn't overtake that. Cheers! Dave

Latest posts

Back