Pale Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjs

Reaction score
Hey, I'm kinda new to brewing, and I'm about to do a Pale Ale so I was wondering how this recipe will go. I allowed myself to be limited by what I could get hold of at a very understocked supplier...bad idea?

Black Rock East India Pale Ale Kit
Black Rock Light Liquid Malt Extract (1.5kg)
Safale Us-05 yeast

Will that amount of malt make the beer overly sweet? What's your opinion on that yeast? It was the only ale yeast available not including some out of date ones and turbo yeasts. The kit and malt are both nearly two years out of date. Will this affect the brew do you think?

One last question - if I was to add hops to counteract the malt (new territory for me), what would you suggest?

Thanks!

[?quote]
One last question - if I was to add hops to counteract the malt (new territory for me), what would you suggest?

[/quote]

Hi pjs

I am new to brewing also but have done 4 pale ales now and personally i enjoy cascade hops in a pale ale but have been told that amarillo are similair. The cascade give a nice stone fruity flavour. I use a hop tea bag and sit it in a cup of boiling water for 10-15mins then throw in to the fermenter just before the yeast. might be a starting point for you?

That sounds like a nice simple way to do it, thanks.

If that is actually an IPA, (Indian Pale Ale) kit and not just a Pale Ale kit I would be very wary of adding any more bittering hops (>15m boil time) with only 500g of extra malt.

if the kit and the malt are nearly 2 years out of date, you are not going to get a very nice beer out of them thats for sure.

its pretty well documented now days that most of the "kit twang" you get from homebrew is due to old cans of malt.

one way of lessening this is to boil it before use.

doing this to a pre-hopped can of malt can drive off some of the bitterness and all of the hop flavour/aroma, so you need to compensate for this by adding your own hops.

if you are going for an IPA style beer, depending on your tastes, go for english or american hops.

East Kent Goldings would be my first choice if going the english route.

cascade or amarillo if you are going for an american style (my preference :p)

that kit is not bitter at all, probably around 20ibu's.

if its out of date, the other option is to brew it first, and upon transfer to secondary (if you do), take a glass off and try it - you should be able to tell if the age has efefected it - if not then, grab hops and either dry hop it, or put in just boiled water for 10 minutes - strain and pour into brew. second method works if you cant leave it long enough for dry hopping - ie you dont secondary.

Its a very mild IPA, well not very IPA at all, so it can be americanised with cascade or whatever

Latest posts

Back