Oz Brew Tubs Packs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I put the Extra Dry kit down and in the fridge @ 26c. As i posted before, the instructions are easy to follow and the wort smelled quite nice.

Am I the only one who noticed this high temp?? I personally would think an Extra Dry kit would want to be fermented on the lower end of the scale, seeing as though there are few other flavours to mask the off flavours most yeasts would throw at this temp...

you've really gotta make sure it's a quality product to have a pricetag almost double of the standard tins @ woollies and coles. i think it's amusing the packaging for these $29.95 tubs emulate the logo of the beer. the brew shop @ peakhurst sells 4.5L bottles of a similar product called quikbrew. they emulate everything you can think of. i picked up a coopers pale ale and a james squier amber ale. both of them turned out very close to the real thing.

It seems the OzBrew are more Extract style kits, hence the higher price than a tin.

Have a look at the price of LDME between $8 & $9 a kilo. At a guess these kits would want at least 2 kilos.
Plus 'mixture of sugars' another $2 to $3
Plus a decent yeast $4.50
Plus fresh/iso hops at least $5 a batch (I assume some iso hops in the mix for the bittering, so you don;t have to boil for an hour)

QldKev

Am I the only one who noticed this high temp?? I personally would think an Extra Dry kit would want to be fermented on the lower end of the scale, seeing as though there are few other flavours to mask the off flavours most yeasts would throw at this temp...

26C is the lower end of the scale, the instructions say ferment at between 26 - 30 C. I think it is because they come from the NT.

Sweet jesus, what type of yeast are they using? That's the sort of temps I use at the tail end of a Belgian ferment to get some funky flavours running.

I don't know what yeast they use but the company line is that it's a "special" yeast for warmer climates up here.
As for the price it is because you are buying a complete kit. It come with the extract, yeast, brewing sugars and a hops bag.

After my last post i was cleaning up and moving things around and found a packet of yeast i have actually bought from the OZbrew store. The label says "Yeast Y1 " I tried looking it up an was confused by a whole lot of chemistry looking articles :)
Maybe some one else can explain for simple folk like me :)

I will, if I do not get side tracked again tomorrow, be bottleing this. It has been in the fermenter for 2 weeks which is a week longer than the instructions, but it has been in a fridge.

One thing that I have noticed is how clear the brew looks when I tap some off for a gravity test, very clear. It will be interesting to see how it goes after bottling.

As for the taste, not sure. I am not really a dry drinker and this kit was a mistake buy, but it seemed ok after taste testing out of the test tube. There was a little taste of something in it that I am not sure of and have no way of explaining (yet). It is meant to have 4 weeks in the bottle, so tell is still yet to tell. I am still so far happy with the kit.

After bottleing I took a sample from the bottom of the fermenter. This is what it looked like.

001.JPG

002.JPG

I have sort of stuffed this batch up.... I was so used to using stubbies that this time I have used PET bottles and only put one carb drop in each bottle. It will probably taste OK but there is likely not to be much head on them.... Oh well, as long as they taste good :) I am going to do all my next brews with bulk priming to avoid this again. ;)

I was cleaning out & reorganising the brew shed when I found a "recipe" for the original TUBS
The original TUBS were in plastic containers (or tubs) & were color coded with a dot on the lid
The color code indicated what malt or blend of malts was in it

This would have to be at least 10 years old

TUBS.jpg

I put one of these in the fridge today to see how they are going, and as expected there was no head on it. I can't decide if I should give the bottles a shake or to chill them down and try to get another carb drop in them. Oh well.

As far as taste goes, I like it. The blurb for it says 'crisp and clean' and I suppose that is what it is. There is no bitter after taste and I think that the majority of the flavour would be the hops with a bit of a fruity taste. I probably should have chilled two down too make sure, but it is easy to drink and I think that it would make a nice summer drink for sure.

For me, I like it and will likely enjoy drinking the other 29 x 750mls that I have.

I have sort of stuffed this batch up.... I was so used to using stubbies that this time I have used PET bottles and only put one carb drop in each bottle. It will probably taste OK but there is likely not to be much head on them.... Oh well, as long as they taste good :) I am going to do all my next brews with bulk priming to avoid this again. ;)

If it helps - head formation and retention are not reliant purely on how much carbonation is in the bottle. If there's no carbonation I can't see a head happening but it's not a parallel relationship. Head forms and retains due to various proteins, hop oils etc. How do you think English beers (not nitro -tap extracted) get a tight head that lasts the whole glass?
Leave at least some bottles for longer and see how they go but any head issues are not just the result of carb drop application.

Leave at least some bottles for longer and see how they go but any head issues are not just the result of carb drop application.
OK, I will go downstairs tomorrow and give all of them a shake up and then leave them again. I think they have been in the bottle for 2 weeks so far and I just opened one to try for taste.

OK, I will go downstairs tomorrow and give all of them a shake up and then leave them again. I think they have been in the bottle for 2 weeks so far and I just opened one to try for taste.

thank the sweet lord you are using PET bottles... shake them? [shudder] had a vision of a 7fiddy going off at face level... :blink:
I have heard of people opening them...slowly.. and adding another drop.. re lid... wait... drink.. Im assuming the PET bottles are big ones? edit: 750ml as stated above and.. Redrop a few if you are in no hurry to knock em all down ad see..

The way the first one opened.... it would not be a worry to open them all and add another drop. that is why I said I would shake them first. even if they where Crownies, I would do the same with this batch, that is how low on gas they seem to be. :)

A month on and the taste of these are getting better. The colour seems to be darkening as well. (?) Still no head and a small amount of carbonation, but still, nice to drink.

Latest posts

Back