Over pitched belgian ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvbeer

Reaction score
Hi all, just kegged a bipa and the yeast character hasn't come through anywhere near as much as I hoped. Used white labs belgian strong ale ferm at 24c. I racked on top of a yeast cake from a previous batch, was their too much yeast? Cheers

What's in a Belgian IPA, not taking a dig genuinely interested

Basically, a American ipa ferm with belgian yeast

How does that taste, I cant imagine the flavour a belgian yeast gives off would go well in an overly hoppy beer, that being said ive never done it though so am not talking from experience.

Even though high grav belgians benefit from a big pitch, I'd wager a whole yeast cake is overdoing it.
I'd also tend to start lower and build to 24 or higher.

Let's see the recipe.

luggy said:
How does that taste, I cant imagine the flavour a belgian yeast gives off would go well in an overly hoppy beer, that being said ive never done it though so am not talking from experience.
You would be surprised. The esters of belgian yeast + lots of hops = pure awesomeness. Almost every time I brew an IPA, I split a 1/3 batch off and ferment it with Belgian yeast (usually ardennes) for diversity.

Check out Green Flash's Le Freak. Creature's Quiet American was another good example.

Back