Outta The Stubbie Or Into The Glass?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
G'day Brewhars,

Gave it a nudge the other night and did away with pouring out of the stubbie and just drank from it.

Anyone else given up on the glass?

I tasted no difference, having only brewed basic Coopers stuff and brew converter stuff i have only had sediment that is cement like in the bottom and does not free itself until after a good soak.

I won't bother with the glass again as the one thing i have missed with homebrewing was not being able to drink it from the bottle, that is no longer a problem.

I think at one stage or another every HB'er has necked there booze straight from the bottle...
or out of some other weird contraptions..

If you're not adding any hops for aroma and your sediment is not getting roused while drinking then there isn't really any good reason not to drink it out of the bottle.

Except deportment, I suppose.

Drinking from a glass lets the drinker experience the aroma of the beer. For a good beer, most people generally get more from it by drinking from a glass. For a bad beer, the bottle limits exposure to unpleasant aromas. This is why you see people drinking VB in bottles at the pub.

So really, if you make 'good' beer (that is a very relative term, more aaccurately something like 'a beer with a noticable and pleasant aroma'), you'll get more from it drinking from a glass.

Of course, its up to you. Make the beer you want and drink it how you want. The whole point of making and drinking beer is to enjoy it. If you enjoy doing it a certain way, do it! If the beer you are making makes you happy, then keep doing it. If you are happier drinking from the bottle, keep doing it!

But of course I wouldn't be drinking bad beer anyway... SO, I reckon always from the glass. I think when you ARE drinking a good beer, you only get half the awesomeness when you drink straight from the bottle. But don't take it only from me, I've become a real beer snob in the last few years! Cheers, Dave.

I love drinking Coopers Pale Ale out of the bottle, from the glass just not the same!

Always from the glass for me, this has increased since getting a kegging system, but even when I have a bottle of something, always into the glass first.

G'day Brewhars,

Gave it a nudge the other night and did away with pouring out of the stubbie and just drank from it.

Anyone else given up on the glass?

I tasted no difference, having only brewed basic Coopers stuff and brew converter stuff i have only had sediment that is cement like in the bottom and does not free itself until after a good soak.

I won't bother with the glass again as the one thing i have missed with homebrewing was not being able to drink it from the bottle, that is no longer a problem.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware.php

If you're not adding any hops for aroma and your sediment is not getting roused while drinking then there isn't really any good reason not to drink it out of the bottle.

Except deportment, I suppose.

not true.....hops aren't the only thing that contributes to aroma....there is malt, and esters as well....every bit as important (and in some styles, much more important) than hops.....what is a heffe like without the banana/bubblegum/cloves on the nose.....Is a Mild as enjoyable without the rich malty aroma.....I can't smell the roastiness in my porter :angry: .......

Also, some styles should have a head, to 'cap' the hops, and smooth it out by drinking through the head....Bitter, for example. And Guiness...

edit; the link to beeradvocate does a fair job of explaining it.

You saw the bit where he said he does Coopers tins with (what I assume he meant was) BE2 as the only addition? Don't think he's getting much bubblegum out of them.

The comment was made in a specific context and I stand by it.

maybe not, but the comment was made without specific reference to the OP...in six months time you'll get someone asking about drinking a (for example) Bitter out of glass....and they'll say 'i seem to remember reading somewhere that if there are no hop additions, it doesn't matter anyway.....', misinterpreting your post completely....

Some peoples attention spans are limited when using the interwebz, and they read post#3 as a definitive statement, and ignore that it is in context with post #1...
:huh:

edit: and the darker Coopers tins, like the Dark Ale, and the stout (in particular), certainly do have some malt aroma, even when done with BE and the kit yeast. Not as much, certainly, as you would get from your own grain additions, but it is certainly there....and as the OP never specified which coopers kits he uses, I stand by my bloody comment.

Fair points - as were your initial ones in a broader context.

I had some people around not too long ago and they were given a glass of my homebrew and went to take an appreciative sip...
"No" my 3 year old daughter said to them "You have to smell it first!"

I think that illustrates where I stand...

I don't care whether you are brewing homebrand lager with a kilo of table sugar or drinking a Westverleten 12 (or whatever) half the experience of drinking a beer for mine is lost if you can't see and smell it.
Taste is linked to aroma.

I'm not sure I completely accept the notion that a homebrand lager and a kilo of sugar (brewed warm, naturally) must be savoured. That is an appropriate beer to slam down.

If you're drinking to get drunk, neck it from the bottle.

If you're drinking to enjoy the drink, you should pour it into a glass for a greater appreciation.

How often do you see wine drunk from the bottle? I've seen it drunk from a cask though...

I'm not sure I completely accept the notion that a homebrand lager and a kilo of sugar (brewed warm, naturally) must be savoured. That is an appropriate beer to slam down.

But if you don't put your homebrand lager brewed warm in a glass how are you going to smell all that fruitiness and alcohols? :)
A guy bought along his first kit brewed at 25C to a meeting once. I thought it was a cider.
But I digress...

Look really you are probably right, but my post was a deliberately extreme range of examples to make clear my answer to the original question of whether any one else has given up the glass, rather than disagree with any subsequent posts, although clearly I do...

Digressing again, a mate of mine, when asked, beer bottle in hand, if he wants a glass, tends to answer, "No thanks, already got one..." with a slight raise of the bottle...

[personal opinion]The more wizened wrinky contributers on here (with the glut of barrels below the avatar) keg their beers, now unless they're drip fed, if they're in polite company would tend towards a convenient smaller vessel (maybe glass, maybe a plastic beaker) but would never get caught with their heads under the font... Oh hang on, this is Australia... :rolleyes: ;)
[/personal opinion]

edit - comma.

Should I make it clear that the only time I drink from a bottle is when drinking other people's beer (swill) at barbies and the like?

I do drink from a glass to get the "full experience" but I'd never look down on someone for not doing it nor correct someone who is just "having a coldie".

Nowadays I split most of my brews between a carton of six 2L 'goonies' and a carton of 15 PET 750ml. With the lagers I often chill a 2L almost to freezing and split it between 3 chilled Bavaria tall bottles (660ml). If you pour carefully there isn't much foaming. Then I recap and end up with 3 bottle-swiggers. Took some down to Sydney in February and they were fine after 10 days in the bottle.

If you're drinking to get drunk, neck it from the bottle.

If you're drinking to enjoy the drink, you should pour it into a glass for a greater appreciation.

How often do you see wine drunk from the bottle? I've seen it drunk from a cask though...

You could down a beer in a glass much quicker than from a bottle. So 'drinking to get drunk' would be from a glass.

I always, always drink beer from a glass. BUT I often drink wine straight from a bottle, so go figure (Its the fantasy of rock and roll stardom that drives my slovenly action with wine. And you should see my IV Jack Daniels set-up :p )

Latest posts

Back