Out Of Date Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythehuman

Reaction score
I know, you get what you pay for...but is there a cost effective way to use close to out of date kits to make good beer? Maybe by using some crystal/specialty grains/malt to reinforce the flavours?

Anything else to consider? I wanted to make a wheat and the LHBS has these. at $32.

I am keen to take a punt (will only be my 3rd brew)...brewed properly will it be ok?

Those kits should be decent. Good yeast, hops (seeing that they are from Ellerslie) and a good brand extract is a good place to start.
I wouldn't advise adding anything else.

Give it a crack, I think if your liquid malt is relatively fresh you should be right,

but yes, you get what you pay for.

You ideally want your kits as fresh as possible.

If your happy to go extract consider just getting 2 cans of wheat extract, a bag(90-100gms) of hallertau or saaz, and a wb-06 and go full extract for about $36-$38

Last year I used a kit dated by 2003. I had acquired some bottles, and the bloke has some odds and sods leftover from his brewing days. Turns out a coopers bitter was one of them.

The Coopers bitter looked like coopers stout and turned out drinkable (obviously didn't use the lid yeast). Chucked in a few bits of whatever hops I'd had leftover - mainly nelson sauvin, some pacifica - that sort of thing.

Was drinkable initially, though I wouldn't rate it.

Goomba

Give it a crack, I think if your liquid malt is relatively fresh you should be right,

but yes, you get what you pay for.

You ideally want your kits as fresh as possible.

If your happy to go extract consider just getting 2 cans of wheat extract, a bag(90-100gms) of hallertau or saaz, and a wb-06 and go full extract for about $36-$38

Why go for the 2 cans instead of the can and the bag?

Back