Ordinary Response Local Home Brew Store

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strutter

Reaction score
Popped into my local homebrew store ( who tells me he's been there for over 20 years every time i pop in) for the second time in one day.

I go there only to gert things i've forgotten to order from G&G or just need right away, he only sells kits and bits.

This morning he asked how big was my fermenter because i wanted a big spoon, a fair enough question i thought, even though the spoon was for my big ass pot not my avg size fermenter.

I'll get to my point....

I walk in this arvo, " G'day mate" I say, "Twice in one day, tell me do you have any Starsan?"

Crappy homebrew store proprieter, " What's that? Starsan? Never heard of it?" " Who stocks it?"

Me: " Um..off the top of my head, G&G, CB, just about everyone mate, it's quite popular"

CHSP (crappy homebrew store proprietor) "Well I been in this game over 20 yrs and I never heard of it!" " But I'll get it in for you. Starsan you say?, am i spelling it S.T.A.R.S.A.N?"

Me: "Yeah thanks Champ, get onto it, it's what all the kids are using, trust me you won't regret it!"

God bless the internet.....

Cheers,

Strutter

AFAIK CraftBrewer are the importers of Starsan, and supply to the trade as well. So if the LHBS dont' deal with CB they wouldn't know about it.

Be careful mate, with help like what you have given them, they risk turning into a decent HBS.

Next thing you know you'll be helping them pick out a fridge to keep their yeast in!
drunk.gif

My LHBS is sort of crappy like that as well. In fact a lot of them are. I feel weird walking into them because it's like they're going to pounce on me and offer me bad advice without me even asking for it.

I break my hydrometres way too much :-(

But on the positive side, my LHBS fills up gas bottles for $6/kg.

... and does a roaring trade in turbo yeast.

My LHBS owner grunts at me when I make a purchase. I buy most my stuff online...
Her husband (?) was working last time i went in and he was less unfriendly. When I asked if they stocked grain he he said "Just whats over there" nodding towards some Brewcraft branded specialty grains for $12-15/kg... Apparently he used to stock grain, but the weevils ate it all.
I have a feeling if I walked in and wanted Turbo Yeast I'd get a better response. :icon_drunk:

@ Strutter..This wouldn't happen to be a LHBS thats named after a suburb West of you, but is actually located in another suburb West of that one? And if you've got to Dandy you've gone to far?? If so I know exactly what your talking about.

My LHBS owner grunts at me when I make a purchase. I buy most my stuff online...
Her husband (?) was working last time i went in and he was less unfriendly. When I asked if they stocked grain he he said "Just whats over there" nodding towards some Brewcraft branded specialty grains for $12-15/kg... Apparently he used to stock grain, but the weevils ate it all.
I have a feeling if I walked in and wanted Turbo Yeast I'd get a better response. :icon_drunk:

Not that creepy tosspot with the exclusive Australian rights to sell Blichmann gear?

Yup, He asked me not long ago why i only but yeast ( at inflated prices), I told him i brew grain. He gave me a blank stare. I felt sad.

So today was tough, after getting over the whole starsan issue, i attempted to just buy a pack of US05, alas, the minimum $15 eftpos rule.

There might have been 12 people (lets call them fermentors) in the store, "So what else should i buy cobber?", he says"dont worry mate, i wont enforce it"

I reply" No sweat brother, i know the rules, thats why i come to you for stuff i need right away" in front of the other dozen customer " i know i pay more than i do online but i try and support local people who specialize in their field of choice"

So i walked out with 2 packs US05, 50g Tettanger and 50g Willamette....

Any thoughts on how to use them with some Crisp ale malt, Amarillo, Saaz B, Cascade, Nelson?

Ahhh the joys,

Strutter

@ Strutter..This wouldn't happen to be a LHBS thats named after a suburb West of you, but is actually located in another suburb West of that one? And if you've got to Dandy you've gone to far?? If so I know exactly what your talking about.

**** it call a spade a shovel and say it not called Hallam Brewing, and it's not in Narre Warren......

truman..i think you guessed correct.. one of our contactor's has some opinion of the same said store

nodding towards some Brewcraft branded specialty grains for $12-15/kg...

Are they next to the hops just like my local brewcraft, going for the bargain price of $5 for 15g???

**** it call a spade a shovel and say it not called Hallam Brewing, and it's not in Narre Warren......

yes, I went there once when I first started and bought my kit from there, let's just say the experience was memorable and not to occur again.

"Maybe I should just peruse Liquorcraft site mate, to see what you can offer?" Shitty local home brew store proprietor " No need for that mate, i can source my gear from anywhere"

Me: " Really...lets not get back onto the Starsan again..."

Needless to say (as Trueman and many others can attest) its F@#$ing trustrating

Strutter

haha yeh thats it, Only been there a few times myself, I only work a few kays down the road from there, and been given the $15 eftpos rule "But I'll let it go this time"

Strange fella indeed. lol. I did the same thing asked for Defender and he offered me some crappy stuff he repackages.

Now I just get everything from G&G as one of our courier drivers comes over from that way everyday so I just phone him and he calls in their to pick up my order.

"Maybe I should just peruse Liquorcraft site mate, to see what you can offer?" Shitty local home brew store proprietor " No need for that mate, i can source my gear from anywhere"

Me: " Really...lets not get back onto the Starsan again..."

Needless to say (as Trueman and many others can attest) its F@#$ing trustrating

Strutter

Is there a store in Rutherford rd in Seaford? if so whats it like, have you been? Ive seen signs up around the place but didnt know if it was a store or just a guy who sells from home type setup???

Back