Options for bottling approx 40L

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been putting out around 38L batches on my new 3V and for the moment been splitting the wort into a 30L fermenter and a 10L cube. Same for bottling, been racking the 30L into a 30L bucket for bottling and same again from 10L into another 10L cube.
Not too bad, gives me a chance to split yeasts, experiment with dry hops, just play around - but I've just ordered myself a 60L fermenter for keeping it all in the one vessel and eventually when I upgrade to a 70L boil kettle I'll be ok.

So my question, for the near future what are my options for a bottling bucket around the 40L mark? Before I have to shell out for another 60L (which I will eventually do, but not for a little while if I can help it) just thought I'd see if there are any cheap vessels around 40L that I could drill a hole in and chuck a tap on to bottle with. Any secrets!?....(and don't want to receive a chorus of "KEGGING" as the answer :p )

Cheers

You could just do 2 batches through the 30 L bucket, you wouldn't have to sterilize for the second fill, just add more sugar.
That's what I'd do to avoid buying more gear

Why not make some smaller batches until your new gear arrives?

I stopped using a bottling bucket as I could never get the carbonation right. Went back to a measured amount of sugar per bottle. I do 60 bottles in one go from 2 batches.

All answers make sense, was just seeing if there was an answer like use a "something" bucket from "somewhere" they hold about 40 litres and they're $2! Haha

Tavas what do you use to measure your sugar, one of those little homebrew sugar measurement scoops? Like below?

H041 (1)-504x504.jpg

@fishy. Yep that's exactly what I use. I think the big scoop measures about 6 grams. I have also used a teaspoon in the past. The carbonation is not to style but I can live with that. When I used a bottling bucket I could never get good carbonation. Using the scoop they are probably over carbonated but I am not entering competitions so don't need to worry about that.

The other way to still use a bucket is measure out your sugar in 2 batches. Do 1 batch of 30 bottles, refill bucket and do second batch.

I think you can get 60 litre drums for olives. Maybe Google that. They will be food grade, but cost may be prohibitive.
Other option would be to check commercial kitchens to see if they get bulk stuff in buckets such as mayo. But I have only ever seen 20 litre buckets.

I was thinking of using a burnt-out urn. Or have a look at freecycle. There's some interesting stuff that comes up on there.

Barron Rawson make a 60 l drum food grade. Tilkey do 40 litre buckets according to Ausfish forum (googled 40 l drum and got a hit).

Bottle priming seems the logical answer here.

Is bulk priming proven such a superior option over bottle priming?

2c.

Cocko said:
Bottle priming seems the logical answer here.

Is bulk priming proven such a superior option over bottle priming?

2c.
a hell of a lot easier and a more consistent product when your bottles are not uniform.

citizensnips said:
a hell of a lot easier and a more consistent product when your bottles are not uniform.
OP says nothing about their bottles being different volumes? Or do you mean something different?

But yeah, maybe a little easier... BUT op is trying to find a solution, which bottle priming would resolve, imo.

3c.

*insert wacko jacko song* "just keg it, keg it, keg it, you know you just want to keg it! ;)

On a serious note well done for not kegging and having the stamina for botteling that much!
Ive only bottled once and ive already bought some kegs!

@ your q, get a big barrel and possibly siphon it out if you dont want to drill into it?

To clarify a little I bottle in a range of sizes, 330, 375, 500, 568, 750 mL's - any good bottles I can get my hands on! So bulk priming is usually my best option.

That said I might try bottle priming next time, I think grape and grain has a 3 size sugar measure, middle size for 500mL bottles I think - not too sure as the info on the site is a little scarce.

Good ideas gents thanks, will keep my eyes peeled for a suitable vessel and if I can't i'll just bulk prime in a couple of buckets for the mean time...that is until I cave and buy another 60L haha. Got my first one for $45 so maybe I'll just ear mark some future funds for another - these bloody fermenters, it's like they're multiplying behind my back or something!

Latest posts

Back