Opinions On Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinda

Reaction score
G'day Men,
Munich Dunkel
6kg Munich malt
.4kg Caramunich Malt
.17kg Chocolate Wheat Malt
.1kg Melanoiden Malt

20gm Hallertaur Mittelfrueh 6.5% 60 min.
30gm " " " 30 min.
30gm " " ' 15 Min.
30gm " " 10 min.
30gm " " 5 min.

My question is if this brew looks ok. On beersmith it showed the IBU's at 60.2 which is too high. And the colour is black which is not to style. I found the recipe somewhere but am not skilled to look at it to decide if it will work or not. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Cadbury

For mine I like 96-99 % munich with a bit of carafa spec 1 for the malt bill. I think the melanoidin will be a waste with all that munich. Just scale back you IBU's to fit to style, if that's what you want. The late additions aren't really needed.

For mine I like 96-99 % munich with a bit of carafa spec 1 for the malt bill. I think the melanoidin will be a waste with all that munich. Just scale back you IBU's to fit to style, if that's what you want. The late additions aren't really needed.

Great, thanks for the tips.

There's lots of good stuff in here. I just brewed one recently and found this really helpful.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...0&hl=dunkle

+1 about the late additions. I'm no expert but I know that a dunkel is all about the malt. IIRC the style guidelines (if you care about that) say low to no hop aroma. There are a lot of late hops in your recipe...

I did one recently that was 95% munich, 3% carafa II and 2% melanoiden. Single hop additon for 60mins to 20IBU.

I used the style of the week thread when deciding on the recipe and was pretty happy with the result. It probably didn't need the melanoiden - when compared alongside a commercial example (Weihenstephan) the melanoden didn't give the same flavour profile that the decoction mash did to the bought beer. It was nice, but not the same. Next time I'll probably just go with munich and carafa.

It's a really nice beer though - the keg emptied a lot quicker than I thought it would...

Hope that helps,
Andrew.

Edit: I did a single infusion mash and used the melanoiden to try and get a type decoction flavour.

400g of Caramunich sounds like way too much as well. I'd pretty much throw that recipe and find a better source.
I'd personally keep a really late addition of hops as I like what it brings through, even though it does dissappear pretty quickly.
I was tasting a commercial Dunkel last night, and after trying the 100% Munich grain bill, the commercial version made me think it wasn't as chunky as 100% munich ends up. I was toying with the idea of a good pils base with somewhere around 50% munich, a touch of melanoiden (mostly to see what it does, yet to use it) and a tiny amount of carafa to make the colour up.
I could see dropping the carafa and heading down the path of caramunich, just enough to make the colour. But what I tasted made me think 'wattery' even though it wasn't. So I personally don't think crystal is the way forward.

I did 95% Wyerman Munich Malt II and 5% Caramunich II with German Halletaur @ 16.7 IBU and Czech Saaz @6.2 IBU 90 min boil. Wyeast Barvarian Lager yeast. Came out very nice indeed. Drunk my stubbies but have a keg in cold storage going to filter and carb. Very noticable Munich malt flavour.
I got another dunkel in the fermenter which I got from the Wyerman website which I brewed similar years ago and was again very nice. More chocalate/caramel flavour and delicious.

Dunkels are known for there malt character rather than hop flavours and aromas. A lot of recipes I see only have bittering hop additions. I have bought a German Dunkel with a good hop flavour but marjority are malty.

Munich Dunkel
Aroma: Rich, Munich malt sweetness, like bread crusts (and sometimes toast.) Hints of chocolate, nuts, caramel, and/or toffee are also acceptable. No fruity esters or diacetyl should be detected, but a slight noble hop aroma is acceptable.

Appearance: Deep copper to dark brown, often with a red or garnet tint. Creamy, light to medium tan head. Usually clear, although murky unfiltered versions exist.

Flavor: Dominated by the rich and complex flavor of Munich malt, usually with melanoidins reminiscent of bread crusts. The taste can be moderately sweet, although it should not be overwhelming or cloying. Hints of caramel, chocolate, toast or nuttiness may be present in the background. Burnt or bitter flavors from roasted malts are inappropriate, as are pronounced caramel flavors from crystal malt. Hop bitterness is moderately low but perceptible, with the balance tipped firmly towards maltiness. Noble hop flavor is low to none. Aftertaste remains malty, although the hop bitterness may become more apparent in the medium-dry finish. Clean lager character with no fruity esters or diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body, providing a firm and dextrinous mouthfeel without being heavy or cloying. Moderate carbonation. May have a light astringency and a slight alcohol warming.

Overall Impression: Characterized by depth and complexity of Munich malt and the accompanying melanoidins. Rich Munich flavors, but not as intense as a bock or as roasted as a schwarzbier.

History: The classic brown lager style of Munich which developed as a darker, malt-accented beer in part because of the moderately carbonate water.

Comments: Unfiltered versions from Germany can taste like liquid bread, with a yeasty, earthy richness not found in exported filtered dunkels.

Ingredients: Grist is primarily made up of German Munich malt (up to 100% in some cases) with the remainder German Pilsner malt. Very small amounts of crystal malt can add dextrins and color but should not introduce excessive sweetness. Very slight additions of roasted malts (such as Carafa or chocolate) may be used to improve color but should not add any flavor. Noble German hop varieties and German lager yeast strains should be used. Moderately carbonate water. Often decoction mashed to enhance the malt flavors and create the depth of color.

Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.048 - 1.056 1.010 - 1.016 18 - 28 14 - 28 4.5 - 5.6%

Commercial Examples: Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel, Hacker-Pschorr Alt Munich Dark, Paulaner Alt Muenchner Dunkel, Weltenburger Kloster Barock-Dunkel, Penn Dark Lager, Capital Munich Dark, Harpoon Munich-type Dark Beer, Gordon Biersch Dunkels, Dinkel Acker Dark

Thanks fellas, that gives me a lot to think about.
Cadbury

Razz, the melanoiden is a great coloring agent in small amounts, red hues I just dont get from Munich by itself, but I have never used 95% munich in any beer , it doesnt appeal nor does Big Helga, that can turn one off munich malt very quickly.
In larger amounts melanoiden can be cloying but carefulcombining with others i.e bairds crystal, its a stand out IMO. .1 of a kg in than bill is dandy. Carafa can add a roast flavor to the background which is not desired in a dunkel. I would use bairds dark and 1% choc for coloring. Agree the IBU`S , one addition only. Urquell yeast.

Didn't think of melanoidin in that respect haysie. As far as 96% munich goes, I'll bring a bottle or two for this months meeting. As well as that Wild thing RIS I promised you months ago. Haven't tried a Big Helga, although I once dated a small Sonya!!!

Didn't think of melanoidin in that respect haysie. As far as 96% munich goes, I'll bring a bottle or two for this months meeting. As well as that Wild thing RIS I promised you months ago. Haven't tried a Big Helga, although I once dated a small Sonya!!!

Wild thing RIS :icon_cheers: Heard so much! Look forward to trying the big munich beer as well. Seeya there.

Latest posts

Back